• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Labels and Grader Notes

8 posts in this topic

I have a comic that was graded a 9.6 Universal label, though underneath the title of the book it says " 2 names written in marker on the first page". I bought the book secondhand. I have no idea if these are signatures or not. I would suspect that buying the grader notes for the book wouldn't let on what these names were. I forgot who I purchased the book from to ask them. So should I stay stuck with an oddity or should I have it cracked at a show and regraded to quench my curiosity?

Here's the thing: The names could be the signatures of the folks involved with the creation of the book, such as "Stan Lee" and "Jack Kirby", but CGC won't verify that because they're not in the signature authentication business. So you might have something that's truly cool and unique or you might have something that isn't. In my experience, many creators signed comics on the first page for fans; it's not uncommon to see some very well known signatures on the cover or first page of a comic book or magazine. Since it received the grade it did (9.6) it's also interesting that the book didn't receive either a downgrade due to the signatures or a green qualified label---generally writing on the cover or interior of the book is considered a defect (although it depends on different factors such as placement, type of ink used, etc.) My feeling here is that either CGC felt the signatures didn't adversely affect the grade OR the book is so nice they still gave it a 9.6 even with the signatures OR no one selected the "Qualifed" field when entering the book into the grading system. My question to you is this: Is this an older label book or a newer label book? (The old label was in very small print compared to the new label)...

Books with interior signatures don't get qualified. As for names written, if they are readable or popular such as Stan Lee or Jack Kirby, those names would be put on the label in quotes. Not verifying they are real, but just noting for those collectors out there who would think it worth the risk to possibly pay more. Joe Shmoe written on page 1 would not get any acknowledgement on the label at all as he didn't work on the book. Only people credited having something to do with the book would be recognized as either "Name" or the actual name in quotes. Sometimes sigs aren't legible enough to say for sure who the artist is, but it's more than likely that person.

It's a New Mutants # 87.
CGC registration number: 0301827005.

So it's a modern. Thank you both for your help. It's kinda killing me and I just needed some help. I agree I have seen "Name" written on the front of books that is clearly Stan Lee's or someone else but those take hits and usually a green label. I can't recall seeing a book with the notation was written as such on the label and it remained blue. But I'm relatively new to all this and what I know just about fits under a rock in the Grand Canyon. So I ask questions. Thanks for your help.

s-l1600.jpg

On 5/5/2018 at 4:12 PM, Philflound said:

My guess is that it was probably McFarlane and Liefeld. 

one has to be rob but the second very well could be McFarlane or Simonson who knows... but it is not worth cracking out for