• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is asking questions or requesting photos from ebay sellers like pulling teeth?

27 posts in this topic

I love ebay. Its the thrill of the hunt. Buying that book that could be a high grade or a total disaster. I never spend that much on a book so if its a bad deal I haven't lost much. But those that turn out to be deals...... yeeeeeehaaaaa.

So we are now going to buy all our books from auction houses? Good luck with that. I hope with all the fees paid you get what you want.

How about Amazon? They do a real bang up job with comics there shipping if fantastic 1 out of 5 times.

How about these new sprout up new websites selling Limited Variants? Yeah I got one the other day corner dinged on every copy because
they were too lazy to put additional cardboard in with that cheap Gemini mailer. 

How about Facebook sellers? I saw a guy try to get $20 for ASM 358 raw and tell them it was a bargain.

I can go on and on here with other sites if you want I have ordered from them all.
The bottom line is do your homework. If something doesn't sound right then it probably isn't. 

Personally if you ask me for 5 pictures on a $10 book I am probably going to pass getting them. I just have to compare
the time involved with the sale. That's just me being honest. 

But in your example yes both a front and back photo should be present. Along with a decent description of the comic if they 
cant do that then just pass them by.

I wish more would do it . Social Darwinism on ebay would be a great thing.

most people put minimal effort at best into their ebay listings. I look at it as a task that needs to be done once and correctly. Some of my items have been liste4d for 2 years or more. And every now and then-- one of them sells-- some are even comic books. But I know I did a good job with clear pictures. I can relist till the cows come home. I have the same approach to Amazon listings for magazines. They are out there until they sell.

And before you bark at me for being "one of those guys" who lists something that you are constantly having to navigate around-- I probably have about 10 total comic books listed on ebay total. At one point-- I was keeping 100 items listed in both accounts-- but now it is around 30 in both. And when of those things I listed in 2014 sell-- it is pretty awesome. Some day some one will buy my Sports Illustrated poster sized print of Eric Dickerson. I just know it.

eBay is what you make of it. If you put the time into searches, you can find some great stuff. I agree, avoid sellers who can't be bothered to post scans or grades; but there are many (including me :cough:) who try to give as accurate a representation of their item as possible. And the deals (especially auctions these days) are plentiful.