• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gloss

4 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, dcmannn said:

Does anybody know if a book is cleaned and pressed, will the process diminish the gloss?

I know I will face backlash for this statement but yes, I think you definitely experience loss of gloss with a dry clean. It's often hard to see through the slab, you need to have the raw book in hand and look at an angle but yes. I also think you can experience loss of gloss from a press. Not dramatically, a little more subtle but yes. I will now await the onslaught saying I'm wrong. BTW, any question regarding pressing, any question, will usually result in bickering on these Boards. 

But pressing should not affect the gloss.

Let me edit this. PROPER pressing should not affect the gloss. There are many instances I've seen where improper or way too strong pressing will cause the staple areas on square bound books to have a sheen to them, where that area is shiny but the rest of the book looks normal.

Edited by Philflound