• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes this? Is it common with SA books?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

I have seen a few SA books where the back side of the cover, both front and back, "bleeds" through and is visible on the front side of the covers. Is this a common issue with SA books? I personally find it kind of distracting but it obviously doesn't affect grade dramatically as I have seen high graded books at 8.0 + being so. Whats your opinion?

b.jpg

Very common.

IMO it's a product of the white interleaving paper that CGC places behind the cover of books they grade causing the interior inks to reflect through the cover.

Doesn't bother me a bit.

You can see this in nearly any grade. I've seen 9.8 books with this phenomenon.

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Very common.

IMO it's a product of the white interleaving paper that CGC places behind the cover of books they grade causing the interior inks to reflect through the cover.

Doesn't bother me a bit.

You can see this in nearly any grade. I've seen 9.8 books with this phenomenon.

Thanks! I honestly had some worries that this might be caused by heating and pressing. But I am rather new to the hobby, so I interpret your reply as like this has always been noticed and that it is not considered technically as a fault.

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

here's one coming up f.s. soon that i'll be going hard after.

ama1.32665a.jpg

Bingo. That exact book was the reason I originally posted this and the photo in my first post is the back of it in a different angle. I asked for a couple of extra photos from CC to see how much this depended on the scan. It looks otherwise amazing and #3 in 7.5-8.0 is the next on my list. :devil: But I am still unsure how much that bothers me, so maybe we will not end up fighting to death over it. (:

6 hours ago, SECollector said:

Bingo. That exact book was the reason I originally posted this and the photo in my first post is the back of it in a different angle. I asked for a couple of extra photos from CC to see how much this depended on the scan. It looks otherwise amazing and #3 in 7.5-8.0 is the next on my list. :devil: But I am still unsure how much that bothers me, so maybe we will not end up fighting to death over it. (:

I'm not 100%, I'm sure someone will correct me in a timely fashion if not. lol But I believe you can resub and request them to leave the micro chamber paper out if it bothers you that much. 

Edited by Finhead

1 hour ago, Finhead said:

I'm not 100%, I'm sure someone will correct me in a timely fashion if not. lol But I believe you can resub and request them to leave the micro chamber paper out if it bothers you that much. 

I’ve never heard that before.  Wouldn’t they (CGC) have to make a note on the label reflecting that, if only to cover their own arse?  

I could see a situation where someone buys a book (where the original submitter requested no MC paper), cracks it open and then comes here blitching that CGC screwed to pooch and didn’t put the paper in it.  

I don’t think they’d even bother with providing that option.

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I’ve never heard that before.  Wouldn’t they (CGC) have to make a note on the label reflecting that, if only to cover their own arse?  

I could see a situation where someone buys a book (where the original submitter requested no MC paper), cracks it open and then comes here blitching that CGC screwed to pooch and didn’t put the paper in it.  

I guess a guy wouldn't know unless they ask right. No harm in checking if it bugs a guy enough. Can also request they put it in the second page. Like I said wasn't 100% so dunno till someone finds out from CGC.

Seeing through the cover paper like that is made more obvious by using a flatbed scanner to take an image. In most cases, it's not as noticeable in real life, but anytime you have the pages being pushed together as they are in a slab, you are going to get that effect to some degree. The cover paper quality was pretty thin back in those days, thus allowing some showthrough. 

26 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Seeing through the cover paper like that is made more obvious by using a flatbed scanner to take an image. In most cases, it's not as noticeable in real life, but anytime you have the pages being pushed together as they are in a slab, you are going to get that effect to some degree.

Correct.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, chrisco37 said:
On 5/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, Finhead said:

I have not heard of them doing that either.

What I have notices is that they are more often than not now putting the paper one or two wraps in rather than right next to the cover.

The phenomenon has as much to do with thin cover stock as it does with the quality of inks they used. Marvel used cheap, oil based inks and the oils in the cover stock also cause that translucent effect (just put a little cooking oil on a piece of paper and you'll see what I mean).

It's not a big deal at all IMO and I've seen it on books up to 9.8 from various pedigrees. I basically ignore it and don't even notice it most of the time.

13 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

If you look at some Marvel books from the summer of 1968, (Iron Man #5 and Sub-Mariner #5 for example), there is a lot of red color bleed through the pages of those books. 

The '68 books onward were printed with different paper than the early to mid Silver Age books so you don't see the same translucence on these later covers. 

What you are talking about is something different.