• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Centering - Which One?

4 posts in this topic

Hi gang - just wondering, for those who collect high-end comics... here are a couple of examples of CGC 9.6. 

1. Has a lot of white, but it is straight up and down.

2. Has less white, but starts skinny at top and ends fat at bottom. 

3. Has no white. 

Forget about the different cases, or that it is not a 9.8, etc - just wondering about the spine centering and using these pictures as examples.  How would you rate them in terms of what order of preference?  Thanks!

4500251.jpg

4502435.jpg

4535775.jpg

Not sure if this question is post worthy as I don't think there will be any debate at all ?

3. Has no white.   Best.

1. Has a lot of white, but it is straight up and down.  Okay, acceptable to some.

2. Has less white, but starts skinny at top and ends fat at bottom.   Worst.

My order of preference is 3, then 1, then 2. This is in part due to the fact that example #2 also has some light wear on the top edge of the cover and Off-White to White Pages. The other two books have better eye appeal as well (IMHO).  :grin:

On 5/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Not sure if this question is post worthy as I don't think there will be any debate at all ?

3. Has no white.   Best.

1. Has a lot of white, but it is straight up and down.  Okay, acceptable to some.

2. Has less white, but starts skinny at top and ends fat at bottom.   Worst.

I agree unless the front cover considerably wraps around to the back.