• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You asked for it! Grade this Midgrade!

15 posts in this topic

DeTECtive 391 This is my latest aquirement. Bought it for $5 worth about $5. The guy was a real piece of work. Used a plastic bag and a single yellow envelope to ship. To protection, no writing on the bag to be carefull. It was jammed into my small mailbox!

Highlight the address and drag it to your address bar and it should appear. It is large so enjoy!

http://prophet780.tripod.com/tec_391.jpg

Instead of the emperor’s new cloths, this is the emperors new comic. It's perfect! Can't you see that it's perfect!? Of course you can. We can all see how perfect it is. Can't you?. cool.gif

Yeah right.

I can't see a thing wrong with it. A 10.0 if there ever was one. I wouldn't try and sell it on e-bay, cause the winner will neg you when he opens up the envelope and finds it's empty. I'd get rustystarwars to sell it for ya. He doesn't care about all this negative stuff. grin.gif

Highlight the address and drag it to your address bar and it should appear. It is large so enjoy!

You can also just right click the URL and select Open In New Window (if you are using Internet Explorer).

I say a VG+

Hey Prophet

I'd rate this book between a G+ 3.5 and VG 4.0 (what's the deal with the corner blunting-rounding on the lower right corner of the front cover scan-- is that warping, or just the front cover leaning over the edge of the backing board?). In any case, the major detracting feature is the spine wear that unfortunately breaks some serious colour/shading -- the most difficult shade of all, black. It is with my experience that books with dark/black covers are graded far stricter as ANY transverse spine wear breaking colour will usually be white, and is usually far more distracting to the eye than when the background is white. For instance, take an X-Men 1 (GS 1 even) and a Star Wars 1. Line-up two copies that bear the same amount of spine wear, and I guarantee you that to either the casual observer, or the trained eye, the X-Men will come out with a higher score than the Star Wars 1. A word of advice; whenever you are looking at buying dark cover comics, make sure you have a full front and rear cover (sometimes rear covers can be dark too) before you buy anything, because strict graders will have a field day pointing out faults on a dark background cover, but even the casual observer can point out weaknesses and wear easier on a dark-cover comic.

Not a bad book anyhow -- I like those 15 cent Detective Comics myself. I think you did alright to -- for $5 anyway! You want to hear a real piece of work seller; within the first month of using ebay, I bought an Oversized Comic (Treasury); the second Superman vs. Spiderman. It took a month before the guy sent out the book to me, and when it arrived, he had simply placed it in a paper envelope, no bubble-wrap, no plastic bag, no backing board, and not even between two pieces of cardboard. I arrived home to find it on my porch in a puddle of water. I was so upset, not about what happened to the comic (which from all scans looked to be a NM copy before it was sent to me), but just the blatant disregard paid by the seller towards a buyer who had made every effort to explain previous to him sending me the book, how much I had been wanting to upgrade my F+ copy. Since then, I have always contacted each seller prior to bidding with very specific shipping rules, this way if they have a problem with something as simple as "please do not use an envelope, but rather a box; postal workers are notorious for folding envelopes to cram into their postal bags," then I'll stay away from that seller.

Hey, you know what I did?

I high-lited the address and dragged it to my address line and it suddenly appeared. Wow. Hooda thought?

Anyway, it looks to me like a VG- to a VG. Too bad he didn't package it better.

I'm with most of the others.. I class it as VG. the slightly rusted staples and the moderate spine wear are the killers. can't see the paper colour, and by the looks of the staples, the center page is probably tight.

would it be considered restored if the staples were replaced bringing the grade up to a VG+? would it be worth it? in my opinion, it can't be brought up from a VG or VG+ because the spine wear is a "major defect" and one major visible defect automatically drops the grade to VG.