• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Wolverine #1 1988 ongoing

19 posts in this topic

Just purchased this one off of eBay and have sent it off to get graded. Sorry for not having a back image but I didn't know this forum existed before sending it off. I was excited haha. The first image shows some type of red mark on the top middle of the page but this isn't actually there. It's some type of camera object.

Just curious as to what you think it may come back as without pressing and with. I am getting it pressed by CSS. All my inexperienced eyes could see were a few spine ticks that didn't break color. The back was clean and white.

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Maroonandwhite

Is that a scratch by Spidey's Head.... if not I'd say 9.4

Also :foryou: you have "Limited" in the title... just curious if you knew this book was from 1988 the ongoing series... ?

This is a pick of the limited... series from 1982 Frank Miller :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-1-Sep-1982-Marvel-High-Grade/222986238093?epid=85394602&hash=item33eb03f88d:g:430AAOSw4ahbAgOI

6 minutes ago, Maroonandwhite said:

I really wish I'd have taken some pictures when I had it out of the bag. I suspect that most of these "marks" are actually on the bag. Unfortunately when I get it back that won't be an option.

But you'll have your grade etched in .... well.... plastic haha. No Worries, I think that it is a great looking copy, you might have bought a high graded already slabbed copy easy enough though. But it is fun to buy, sub, and wait, or at least can give you anxiety ;)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
already slabbed

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But you'll have your grade etched in .... well.... plastic haha. No Worries, I think that it is a great looking copy, you might have bough a high graded copy easy enough though. But it is fun to buy, sub, and wait, or at least can give you anxiety ;)

True. If I get 9.4 or higher I will be ahead money wise but that’s not really why I did it. It was my first comic purchase as a collector so it will be a keeper. I’ll post up the results once it comes back. 

8 minutes ago, Maroonandwhite said:

True. If I get 9.4 or higher I will be ahead money wise but that’s not really why I did it. It was my first comic purchase as a collector so it will be a keeper. I’ll post up the results once it comes back. 

I feel you (thumbsu

It was among the first that I bought too!

Well this one ended up being an 8.5. I'm honestly quite discouraged but the fact that it was my first and has some sentimental value it doesn't bother me as much haha. It's still an awesome display piece. They noted fingerprints on the front cover (that I can't see but I don't have the "eye" yet), spine stress and a color breaking line on the back left corner. I'll upload some pics of it in the case once I get back home.

I am contemplating cracking it open to get Chris Claremont to sign it along with my limited series.

Here are a few pics of the back, spine, and the small crease on the corner. I’m considering cracking it open, getting Chris Claremont to sign it and resubmit. May be a waste of money but I’d rather have it preserved and I think I have a chance of a higher grade. What do y’all think?

414557A6-C309-4AB5-BAC7-C2EB7D85A17E.jpeg

87B58F03-2EA5-4753-AC98-AAAD00222DF2.jpeg

19F6F680-0893-48D6-8000-C9D20BF3F11E.jpeg

A5EC925E-81A1-476B-A9D3-E1DB2A3186A0.jpeg

4100427F-CE0B-42C9-99C6-D66B4272ABFD.jpeg

@Maroonandwhite that's a shame :(

also so minute of things to get an 8.5?

I can see my submission in a couple of weeks being harsh then ....

snap that is too bad, but it is a black and white cover can be hard to grade...

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Maroonandwhite that's a shame :(

also so minute of things to get an 8.5?

I can see my submission in a couple of weeks being harsh then ....

snap that is too bad, but it is a black and white cover can be hard to grade...

some of that doesn't appear in the "before pics" hmmm is it possible that maybe some of it happened in transit?

56 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

some of that doesn't appear in the "before pics" hmmm is it possible that maybe some of it happened in transit?

Either that or in pressing maybe. Kind of regretting I had it pressed. Either way I think I’m gonna crack it and get it signed along with my limited series 1-4 and send them in if for nothing else than being encased.

Unless you really want this particular book slabbed for the sentimental reasons you mention, you could buy a slabbed 9.6 of this for $70 pretty easily (current 90-day GPA). And get that book, crack it and get it signed by Claremont. It’s not a particularly expensive book in high grade, so if it were me, think it’s worth it just buying already graded.

2 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Unless you really want this particular book slabbed for the sentimental reasons you mention, you could buy a slabbed 9.6 of this for $70 pretty easily (current 90-day GPA). And get that book, crack it and get it signed by Claremont. It’s not a particularly expensive book in high grade, so if it were me, think it’s worth it just buying already graded.

I’ll probably buy most everything graded from here on out but I’d rather get these particular copies signed. I honestly want another shot at the grade too. Just for laughs to see which way it goes. I’m not stressing over it too much since I’ll be happy with all five books signed and slabbed regardless of grade. Will be awesome display pieces. 

On 5/21/2018 at 9:08 PM, Maroonandwhite said:

Congrats with great purchasing

On 8/4/2018 at 7:40 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I do want to update that info now see the fingerprint they are talking about. I thought it was part of the image but it’s right below the little line coming off of the moon under the “E”. It’s hard to see unless you let the light glare on it. Seems like they may have gotten this one right.....

I’m going to post up my limited series up to see what you folks think about them.