• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registered USPS mail = failure to use will result in DEATH?

21 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I went to the local post office to mail out my first submissions, and when I got there... I hit a roadblock.

The guy said that I couldn't mail the particular box via Registered mail (like CGC instructed me to do) because of the type of tape that I used on it. I was using shiny, clear tape. Apparentely I needed brown, paper tape. Clearly, I had no idea. And the post office didn't have any in stock... and I wasn't about to make the 1 1/2-hour round trip back to my home just to retape the damn thing. So... I thought about it and just decided to mail it out via Priority Mail with Insurance and delivery confirmation.

Will this pose a problem?

Thanks... Jay

You can use any type of mail to get it to CGC. It is only recommended that you use registered mail. I have never sent in books this way. I've used Media mail, Priority mail and Express mail - all have delivery confirmation. No insurance...I'm either very stupid or a trusting soul that packs well... grin.gif

I usually always use usps priority when I submit to CGC with insurance. Only once have i sent it registered (insurance on priority was gonna be 26 dollars and registered was about half) and the lady at the post office told me the same thing about the clear tape but she used her brown tape over top and did not give me any hassle. clearly the cat you ran into was having a bad day. on the whole though, I have never had a problem with priority mail, to CGC or to an Ebay winner. hope all goes fine for you too. (BTW... I use priority mostly coz of those handy FREE boxes!! strong, sturdy and just the right size for a sandwiched comic or two) grin.gif

Registered mail has very bizarre requirments. And the tape allowable is one of them. Plus, they DON'T EVEN SELL THAT TAPE AT THE PO!!!

I had a heck of a time finding this ridiculous tape. I finally found it at Office Depot, after checking back there because the first time I looked they were out of it.

Every seam of the box/envelope must be taped over and every seam of tape needs a round date stamp on it.

What's the big deal? Registered Mail is supposed to be hand processed, and the reason for the "paper-tape" is so they can date stamp it and the recipient can be assured that what was received is what was sent. The clear tape cannot hold the stamp.

As far as them not selling it, what do you expect from the Post Office? ...Service?

Steve

Sending things registered and insured when you are talking high priced books ($1,000 or more) can in reality be A LOT cheaper than just insurance alone. Although it may seem like a hassle, it can save you a lot of money in the long run.

Heh... I deeply regret stumbling upon this copyright infringement. Here... *fumbles through wallet* ...royalties.

Funny and imformative responses - I appreciate all.

And no... I don't know what I was expecting from the PO. Stupid of me to seek service.

luckily for me, the post office always had some. but i hate taping it there, so i just charm the postal lady to give me a whole/half roll of it so i can do it at home. blush.giflaugh.gif but im sure any office supply store or mail boxes etc. should carry it. wink.gif

so i just charm the postal lady to give me a whole/half roll of it so i can do it at home.

Always the player! wink.gif

BTW, is your avatar of H.G.D.? blush.gif

no, clobby thought that was her too, i had to clarify things up a little. wink.gif if my scanner wasn't down i'd send you a pic i took of her from that now "infamous" night/posting a few months back. blush.gif BTW, that's not one of my ex's, did anybody noticed the "wink" graemlin in the original post. blush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif gullible fools! tongue.gif