• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT No. 1--Worth getting graded/encapsulated?

6 posts in this topic

First time poster.  Many years ago, I sole my entire collection except for a few items.  The most valuable comic I kept is a first printing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1.  I paid $200 for it somewhere around '87 or '88.  It's in great condition, in my opinion, but I have no idea of the range in which it may grade.  I am new to the grading process, and it seems more complicated than I anticipated.  The general question I have is whether it be worth the time and trouble to have it graded and, possibly, encapsulated.  I understand it is a difficult question to answer in the abstract, but any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Billy1974 said:

First time poster.  Many years ago, I sole my entire collection except for a few items.  The most valuable comic I kept is a first printing of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1.  I paid $200 for it somewhere around '87 or '88.  It's in great condition, in my opinion, but I have no idea of the range in which it may grade.  I am new to the grading process, and it seems more complicated than I anticipated.  The general question I have is whether it be worth the time and trouble to have it graded and, possibly, encapsulated.  I understand it is a difficult question to answer in the abstract, but any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

I would think it would be worth having it slabbed.  A 6.0 sold for $3,900 in January, 2018 and you believe yours may be higher.  One question is why are you possibly having it graded - if you are wanting to sell it, then it is a good idea.  You may just like having it more preserved and protected in slabbage.  If you are wanting to keep it, there are cheaper options - mylar and acid free board, for example.  

As far as grading, post scans and/or lots of good pics (make sure the book edges are completely visible) in the Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade Forum https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

You will get boardie opinions of grades.  

Edited by telerites

21 hours ago, telerites said:

I would think it would be worth having it slabbed.  A 6.0 sold for $3,900 in January, 2018 and you believe yours may be higher.  One question is why are you possibly having it graded - if you are wanting to sell it, then it is a good idea.  You may just like having it more preserved and protected in slabbage.  If you are wanting to keep it, there are cheaper options - mylar and acid free board, for example.  

As far as grading, post scans and/or lots of good pics (make sure the book edges are completely visible) in the Hey Buddy Can You Spare a Grade Forum https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Thanks!  I believe I will take that advice and posts some pics.

in general, this comic is worth getting graded by CGC, unless its really tore up or marked up or restored in some fashion (tape? glue?)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, telerites said:

This guy knows about grading TMNT. Sage advice.

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

This guy knows about grading TMNT. Sage advice.

Hi Sean :hi:  I just got lucky with mine and lazy for never reading my copy when I bought it (thought it was dumb idea for a comic lol )

I stay pretty much in the GA forum so don't cross paths much anymore.  Hope you are well - Take care.