• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question from a newbie on Marvels 1-4

25 posts in this topic

jens25e,

To get the Marvels graded it would cost $12 per book with the 20% discount. So grading fees would be $48 dollars + shipping and handling. The more books you send in at one time the more you will save on shipping. So if you got 4 9.8's you would make a small profit if you sold them.

I agree, these comics are very easy to find in high grade, but there are still some people interested in them. Most of the people interested in them won't settle for anything less then 9.8, and they won't be willing to spend much more then the grading fee for 9.8s.

these comics are very easy to find in high grade, but there are still some people interested in them.

Great books always are in demand, and these qualify! I heard it through the grapevine that the easiest books to get 10.0's on are new books with heavystock covers, and although I've never sent anything like that in, these seem to be candidates if that's the case. Since there's only one 9.9 and no 10.0s, I would think a 9.9 would break at least $100, and who knows what a 10.0 would bring? However, even if you think the books are "perfect", it's kind of a crapshoot as to what they'll come back as...

My comic dealer sold me the marvels 1-4 collectors pack (1994) unopened for 10$. They are the ones with the acetate cover.

I just started building my collection beginning of September and have only about 150 books by now but to me these Marvels look outstandlingly good. I cannot even see ANY flaw on them, they seem so perfect.

Then on the other hand due to the acetate cover and the thicker paper of this comic I just expect many many many Marvels 1-4 to be in this condition.

I know CGC doesnt give away 9.9s and 10.0s easily but I certainly would expect at least one of the four to turn out 9.9 and if one would be less than 9.8 Id be very disappointed.

I believe many people who send in moderns will just send in moderns that seem close to perfection and that is why I dont understand that the population of Marvels is mainly around 9.8s (20x) and 9.6s (23x) and only one 9.9, (0x10.0). I dont get it. The quality of this comic is so good that there must be some 10s in there.

Now when I estimate that I get 4 x 9.8 for them and I would sell them I think they would maybe go for 25$ each since a pack of 4 x 9.8s just went out for 99.90$ on Ebay.

So I paid 10$ for them 25$ for each CGCing (minus 20% thru affiliate programm) makes overall 90$ plus shipping to CGC (and back from CGC if that is extra).

That means I make no profit at all on that or even lose some money.

Can someone comment on the profit thing and the quality thing, please?

Thank you!

Jens

I concur, but let's see what others think...