• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question from a newbie on Marvels 1-4

25 posts in this topic

My comic dealer sold me the marvels 1-4 collectors pack (1994) unopened for 10$. They are the ones with the acetate cover.

I just started building my collection beginning of September and have only about 150 books by now but to me these Marvels look outstandlingly good. I cannot even see ANY flaw on them, they seem so perfect.

Then on the other hand due to the acetate cover and the thicker paper of this comic I just expect many many many Marvels 1-4 to be in this condition.

I know CGC doesnt give away 9.9s and 10.0s easily but I certainly would expect at least one of the four to turn out 9.9 and if one would be less than 9.8 Id be very disappointed.

I believe many people who send in moderns will just send in moderns that seem close to perfection and that is why I dont understand that the population of Marvels is mainly around 9.8s (20x) and 9.6s (23x) and only one 9.9, (0x10.0). I dont get it. The quality of this comic is so good that there must be some 10s in there.

Now when I estimate that I get 4 x 9.8 for them and I would sell them I think they would maybe go for 25$ each since a pack of 4 x 9.8s just went out for 99.90$ on Ebay.

So I paid 10$ for them 25$ for each CGCing (minus 20% thru affiliate programm) makes overall 90$ plus shipping to CGC (and back from CGC if that is extra).

That means I make no profit at all on that or even lose some money.

Can someone comment on the profit thing and the quality thing, please?

Thank you!

Jens

So I paid 10$ for them 25$ for each CGCing (minus 20% thru affiliate programm) makes overall 90$ plus shipping to CGC (and back from CGC if that is extra).

That means I make no profit at all on that or even lose some money.

Ding, ding ding! Give this man a prize! You've just figured out the basic economic principle of CGC grading: that it's like a Gold Rush where the people making the real money were selling pots, pans, tents and food.

IOW, it's always best to be the one supplying the prospectors, instead of trying to be a prospector during a wild gold rush. That is, unless you already have a gold stake you found 20-30 years ago and want to make some profits. grin.gif

I see, and what does selling pots, pans, tents and food mean in the comic business?

Another thing that might make it worth sending them in is have the chance to get a 9.9 which would probably bring 50 instead of 25 whereby I had a profit of 25$. And then again: a 9.9 would be so nice that Id maybe rather keep it myself

Jeesh, this is getting complicated.

I see, and what does selling pots, pans, tents and food mean in the comic business?

Hrrmmmmm. Just think about it for a few seconds.

Gold Prospectors = New CGC Investors/Dealers

Suppliers of Raw Goods: CGC, EBay, USPS, etc.

The people who got rich in the Gold Rushes were those selling the supplies to the Johnny-come-lately speculators, or those that had astutely staked their Gold Claim decades before and then sold off at a huge profit.

Very, very, very few of the Tom, and Harry's who rushed to the Yukon for the "Gold Rush" made any money, but the ones waiting there to fleece them silly amassed fortunes.

It's really not a tough concept to grasp.

Yeah, I can be that way sometimes (one of the negatives associated with hyper-intelligence grin.gif) but I've also been through the Black and White Fad, the Valiant Scam, the early 1990's Speculator Hype, not to mention being peripherally involved with the Coin and Sportscard Grading Rise, Fall and then horrendous Melt-Down.

I'm hesitant to believe that Graded Comics will be the sole mass-speculated collectible fad to rise precipitously in value and then somehow present a long-term growth factor from that point on.

Feel free to ignore my comments (I could care less if you're living on the street next year) but they're not opinions, but historical facts that confirm the highly volatile and cycical nature of graded collectibles and collectible fads in general.

CGC Comics may escape the brutal crash of all the others and defy the laws of economics, but I highly doubt it.

I dont like you, you seem kind of arrogant.

Wow CI, you set a record with this one - it only took 5 posts for you to offend another potential new member. frown.gif Same old story...the sellers are all scammers, and the buyers are all ignorant sheep being led to slaughter...sad.

All I know if that I have not made ONE SINGLE CENT from selling, trading or otherwise transacting in CGC comics. I have absolutely no stake in the current CGC Speculation Phase, since with a few exceptions (key issues for resto check) I don't even partake in the zany buying side.

In fact, I may be doing myself a disservice by talking like this, as CGC has made VF to VF/NM comics incredibly low-priced as all the money flies towards the "investment collectibles" area.

If anyone who has not gained one penny of economic benefit from CGC selling begs to differ with me, then I will take that under due consideration. Otherwise, it's just banner and the boyz proving once again that the tail does indeed wag the dog.

Hey hey HEY, the rest of us hyper-intelligent people ( blush.gifblush.gif ) would like to say for the record that arrogance doesn't necessarily accompany brains. Stupid people can be arrogant, too! Metaphorically speaking, arrogance is something displayed by those who feel varying degrees of self-consciousness about the length of their or the size of their brains.

Since you're a pretty smart guy, I guess we all know which one of those two you suffer from... tongue.gif

I have absolutely no stake in the current CGC Speculation Phase, since with a few exceptions (key issues for resto check) I don't even partake in the zany buying side.

We're trying to convert you man, must be persistent...DC's...must buy DC's...

BTW, when do the goodies go up? I need those books!

Don't you have something you should be doing, like listing!! Or perhaps you're still in mourning over UNC's most recent collapse?

We're trying to convert you man, must be persistent...DC's...must buy DC's...

Don't think I'm immune to it either, especially as I've been receiving two types of email and PM's:

1) Positive, "keep doing what you're doing" types.

2) "You suck, I bought three copies of Venom #1 CGC 9.8 and its gonna skyrocket. Your just mad cuz I probbly sniped them fron youu!"

That second subsection of "special needs investors" may actually cause me to change my tune and do all I can to help them on their way to "CGC investment bliss". Buy, buy, buy! And then buy some more!

Oh, I could care less about the football team. Just like you can care less about the Gator's basketball team! wink.gif Nah, I like to list books starting at around 5 PM Pacific time. smile.gif