• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose CGC slab/cracked posts?

13 posts in this topic

Hey there, everyone!

I’m new to the forum and was hoping someone could assist me here. I recently purchased a 9.8 Deadpool #1 off eBay that was graded September of 2015. I’m always careful about who I’m buying from, and considering the seller has thousands of reviews and a 100% rating, I didn’t hesitate to bid.

Upon arrival, the case/slab appears to be loose on the edges. What’s more concerning is debris in the case, both inside the comic housing and the CGC Signature Series Label.

Now, I’ve never dealt with a loose case, nor have I ever seen firsthand cracked corners. I was hoping you guys could tell me if these appear cracked (really can’t tell) and if you believe it’s recourse for a refund or at the very least a request to CGC for re-slabbing.

P.S - I’m also including 2 photos at the bottom: First of it’s thickness compared to another one of my 2018 graded comics. The 9.8 Deadpool appears to be a thinner slab (bottom slab). Second of tiny smudges under and around the signature. Is this normal?

Please let me know!

-Doc V

10BE79B0-7C18-4CED-80E5-20F07746C6BC.jpeg

6128D0B5-9BAB-4F18-96F5-FC21940C8393.jpeg

B8CB9D48-18B6-4A6A-9B41-827F03891447.jpeg

A0C17781-0277-4CA6-A9DF-90E2B4FAB3FA.jpeg

329EFF1D-AD64-4D9D-9B6B-70C217377619.jpeg

Edited by Doc Velez

I also want to point out that the corners are sealed. Only the right edge appears to be loose.

Also, what does mold/mildew look like on a cover? 

Edited by Doc Velez

5 minutes ago, faster friends said:

It’s fine. That how they are made.

Thanks for the quick reply. Should I be concerned with the smudges on the inside? It’s the last picture of my post (just edited it).

The new cases are thicker than your 2015 slab. It is normal on the 2015 slab to have the sides 'loose'. I don't see any problems here but I'm not sure about the smudging. It looks like it is on the case itself ?

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The new cases are thicker than your 2015 slab. It is normal on the 2015 slab to have the sides 'loose'. I don't see any problems here but I'm not sure about the smudging. It looks like it is on the case itself ?

Thanks for your response.

The smudging is inside the case, so I honestly can’t tell if it’s actually on the plastic or it’s in the cover of the comic. I can’t even tell if it’s remnants of the sharpie signature.

Considering the dust and debris entering the case now, would it be smart to have CGC re-slab it?

I wouldn't reslab for the dust and debris but maybe for the smudge, if it's on the case ?Regarding the debris, here's a 'trick' for you. Since the sides on the older generation slabs are generally loose, take an envelope, or something slightly thicker than a sheet of paper, and slide it into the slab. You should be able to either remove the debris or shift it out of sight.  

@MadGenius Much appreciated. I was googling trying to find an example of cracked corners/posts and couldn’t find anything.

@Bomber-Bob Thanks for the advice! The smudges don’t bother me all that much, I’m just happy to finally own a 9.8 SS of this comic. I’m definitely going to attempt to remove the debris using your trick.

Thanks everybody!

2 hours ago, Doc Velez said:

@MadGenius Much appreciated. I was googling trying to find an example of cracked corners/posts and couldn’t find anything.

@Bomber-Bob Thanks for the advice! The smudges don’t bother me all that much, I’m just happy to finally own a 9.8 SS of this comic. I’m definitely going to attempt to remove the debris using your trick.

Thanks everybody!

You bought an "USED" car and you have a "Brand-New" car. You know what I mean?

32 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

You bought an "USED" car and you have a "Brand-New" car. You know what I mean?

Roger, sir.

I appreciate you guys responding so quickly, other forums are pretty dead.

13 minutes ago, Doc Velez said:

Roger, sir.

I appreciate you guys responding so quickly, other forums are pretty dead.

You are not alone. Everybody complains and concerns about them. I am not concerned about it since I sold many books that have Newton Rings. No one complained about it.

9 hours ago, JollyComics said:

You are not alone. Everybody complains and concerns about them. I am not concerned about it since I sold many books that have Newton Rings. No one complained about it.

These aren’t newton rings, though. These are actual smudges that appear to be dirt/debris-related on the inside face of the slab right above the comic cover.

Not sure how it happened, but oh well. So long as my corner posts are intact, I’m happy.