• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

200k cash to spare?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I've done wire transfers for both comic and gun purchases.  It's not that out of the ordinary.

Me too. Best way to transfer larger amounts. 

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would refute that statement.  Wholeheartedly.

I disagree. We're talking 40 years worth of collecting. 99.9% sure someone who has a collection that valuable over that period of time has been to numerous cons, shows, dealt with dealers, spent tons of money over 40 years, knows how to grade, knows about grading companies etc. They're no rookie. This is no fly-by-night collector based on the collection he described.

I can see someone having a valuable collection that was passed down to them, purchased as a kid over 5-10 years and then stored away... but we're talking 40 years

Edited by Michelangelo

14 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I would refute that statement.  Wholeheartedly.

I disagree. We're talking 40 years worth of collecting. 99.9% sure someone who has a collection that valuable over that period of time has been to numerous cons, shows, dealt with dealers, spent tons of money over 40 years, knows how to grade, knows about grading companies etc. They're no rookie. This is no fly-by-night collector based on the collection he described.

I can see someone having a valuable collection that was passed down to them, purchased as a kid over 5-10 years and then stored away... but we're talking 40 years

You're speaking about this specific case - I can't get all the information out of this ad that people are saying is in it, including you - maybe because I don't belong to Craig's List(?).

I'm certain, in general, there are many folks out there who would NOT fit the description you gave - "If you've been collecting for 40 years and have amassed a collection worth $400,000+, then you've dealt with the biggest dealers in the industry. You know about Heritage, Mycomicshop, etc.You know how to liquidate a collection." 

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You're speaking about this specific case - I can't get all the information out of this ad that people are saying is in it, including you - maybe because I don't belong to Craig's List(?).

I'm certain, in general, there are many folks out there who would NOT fit the description you gave - "If you've been collecting for 40 years and have amassed a collection worth $400,000+, then you've dealt with the biggest dealers in the industry. You know about Heritage, Mycomicshop, etc.You know how to liquidate a collection." 

The seller states this in his craigslist ad:

I'm real, most of the larger dealers around the country know me.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

If he's well known to most of the larger dealers, you'd think he would take his 400k collection to one of them first.  For big books, certainly he'd be getting more than 50% of value.  Hell, there are plenty of dealers that have 200k to buy with.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:
11 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I'm glad he knows a lot of 300 lbs dealers, but not sure what significance that has.

24 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm glad he knows a lot of 300 lbs dealers, but not sure what significance that has.

Well, you'd assume that someone who spends big 6 figures on books, knows all the major dealers across the country, knows about using eBay and Comiclink to value his books, knows about grading and has been collecting 40 years is not a spring chicken.

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

If he's well known to most of the larger dealers, you'd think he would take his 400k collection to one of them first.  For big books, certainly he'd be getting more than 50% of value.  Hell, there are plenty of dealers that have 200k to buy with.

That was my point.