• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Price Guide?

24 posts in this topic

Are there any price guides online or place sI can look em u. sometime son Ebay I wanna bid on somethign but dont want to over Bid.

Once saw a nice Dark Knight returns at CGC'd 9.4 for 50 bucks but wasnt sure if it was worth it

For a good indication of what a book is worth for at least the recent past, look at the completed auctions on eBay. For a popular book like DD 168, you can get a huge list of realized prices. Figure there's going to be some ultra high and ultra low prices, but there should be a good grouping of mid-range prices that are more accurate.

Also consider what you're willing to pay for the book and it's general availability.

The BEST and only is GPANALYSIS.com http://www.gpanalysis.com/

I highly recommend joining... it will blow you away!

I've been involved with the project since the beginning and was hired as a beta tester and consultant. Its full launch is not far off with updated capabilities, etc. I was planning a thread at that time. Some forumites received VIP tryouts awhile back and offered good feedback and high praise.

Any serious CGC buyer would benefit. I would suggest buying the service for a few months... it's inexpensive and will save you $$ by guiding your purchases and arming you with important data.

Regardless of my involvement... I can't say enough good things about it. A few forum members are GPA members too... maybe they will comment at some point.

My upcoming website will be hosted and linked to it as well.. Less than a month away I'd say.

I'm coming out of the closet...I'm a GPA member as well. I spend most of my nights hooking up rickdogg with info so he can flip his books for the right price! I find it very useful. One thing you have to know is that ALL data for prices "realized" are collected at auction end, even when reserves are not met...

I love my GPA! tongue.gif

Carl was the first to join actually

.. but that's not accurate Carl... auctions that do not reach reserve are NOT recorded... only actual sales (as far as anyone can see- staged and BS auctions no one can really know). It also records not only Ebay, but Heritage, JP Mint, All-Star, the Vault (grrrr) and Yahoo... so you get a wider market analysis too.

You may be confusing that with Darryl's also useful product.. the comicsheet. His product records all auction end results (actual sales and where any auction ends even if the reserve is not met). I also subscribe to the Comicsheet as I like to record more info on specifc books and need the database program to do so.

GPA has a filter as I understand that screens out auctions that do not reach reserve. George tells me there are a few exceptions and a very small percentage sometimes get picked up... BUT that its well over 99% effective in that regard. If you ever find a "reserve not met" auction captured.. report it, and it will be swiftly corrected.

Hi everyone. Excuse me if I don't get the hang of this straight away, I've only just signed up.

Thanks Bruce/Carl for making some comments of GPAnalysis for Comics (www.gpanalysis.com). The site is currently being upgraded with the new version of our analysis tools and will be live in the hopefully the next 24 hours.

We capture, categorise and give users the ability to analyze auction results from a number of on line sources (Bruce mentioned these in his last message). Results are posted on the site within 24 hours, sometimes immediately at auction end.

Just a quick correction Bruce - we don't have any problems in filtering out "reserve not met" results. Sometimes a few non-CGC sales get through. We are constantly updating our software engine, which is part artificial intelligence, part human (some human intervention required) - we are around 99.9% accurate at the moment. Any errors can be updated within 24 hours of being noted.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has. We are very excited about the product.

Not trying to offend you but I just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. I like Darryl's product a lot. It's a bit more primitive but the price is very nice. GPA offers the self-contained program, and adds other smaller auction houses Vault and Heritage. I'm not sure that I really care what books are going for on poor auction sites like yahoo and Vault/Heritage are easily searchable. So to me, I just don't find it worth the extra 50 dollars, certainly if the comparable price comes down to a competitive level such as Darryl's I'd consider it but for now Darryl's price and product outweigh the extra features and cost of GPA. Just wanted to give Darryl a lil bit of props tongue.gif

Brian

Hi, not sure if I would decsribe Heritage as a small auction site. As far as total turnover on CGC comics (that's the only thing we report on) Heritage produces around 50% of the annual sales. eBay is around 35% and the rest smaller percentages. I guess they do more in golden/silver age, however recently they have been posting even modern books.

We'll shortly have some flash demos up to give people an idea as to the look-and-feel of the product etc.

One thing I noticed:

Do you separate each and every title based on the CGC structure, as in splitting Uncanny X-Men in two, simply because Marvel added the "Uncanny" to the indicia?

Personally, I'd like to see entire runs listed consistently (1 to Cancellation) for valuation purposes, and not broken up arbitrarily like that.

I never referred to Heritage as a small auction site, I did however refer to Yahoo as one. I simply stated that I can easily search Heritage myself, and I can do the same thing with the Vault. I can see why you think your service warrants a higher price, obviously it's self-contained and in a more user-friendly way.

Brian

Yes, we do seperate the titles according to (mainly) the standard via which CGC has started labelling the books - so X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are in the database. In a few instances we've had to come up with a slight variation as in the Dell Giants and others. We've had to try and come up with a compromise in some cases as there are people out there who are comfortable with both how CGC and Overstreet report titles.

Sure, but I feel there is a big difference between listing titles alphabetically for specific issue look-ups, and showing aggregate totals based on arbitrary splits.

For example, I looked over your Top 10 lists and thought "WTF, where are the X-Men?" and then later noticed that you had split the UXM title in two, rather than logically joining them for total sales values.

Does anyone really feel that when Uncanny X-Men 142 came out, it represented a whole new title? Not for me, especially since Uncanny had been in the title for-like-ever and sellers don't make any distinction between 141 and 142.

For me, it paints an unrealistic picture of the market, assuming the goal is to present a list of the hottest and most traded titles.

I feel that the first run of X-Men (1-394) is one of the hottest sellers on EBay, yet isn't represented as such on your lists. Am I wrong or are you?