• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pen indentation?

7 posts in this topic

I just purchased a comic of ebay and it looks great, but on the cover there is what looks like a small indentation from a pen or something similar.  There's no ink on the book, just this small recess.  It couldn't be more than 3/16" long and not very noticeable, but I know it's there and it drives the you know what out of me.  Anyways, is something like this a big deal when it comes down to grading?  I'll try and post a picture of what I'm talking about later today.  Thanks.

Edited by frisbee

4 hours ago, frisbee said:

I just purchased a comic of ebay and it looks great, but on the cover there is what looks like a small indentation from a pen or something similar.  There's no ink on the book, just this small recess.  It couldn't be more than 3/16" long and not very noticeable, but I know it's there and it drives the you know what out of me.  Anyways, is something like this a big deal when it comes down to grading?  I'll try and post a picture of what I'm talking about later today.  Thanks.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It's usually from a price tag that was written on while on the book. I also hate this flaw, drives me crazy. It definitely affects the grade. IMO, send it back.

Well Bob, it usually depends on the length and location of the indentation. I've seen books with this type of flaw still grade out at 8.5 - 9.2 depending upon the location and severity of the indent. If it's an otherwise beautiful book, it's still a nice addition to a collection. And these types of things are the reasons I have multiple copies of some books. lol However, if you're not happy with it, you do have 30 days to return it, correct? I believe in the return field for eBay items, one of the reasons for wanting to return an item is "just didn't like it"...    :frustrated:

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Well Bob, it usually depends on the length and location of the indentation. I've seen books with this type of flaw still grade out at 8.5 - 9.2 depending upon the location and severity of the indent. If it's an otherwise beautiful book, it's still a nice addition to a collection. And these types of things are the reasons I have multiple copies of some books. lol However, if you're not happy with it, you do have 30 days to return it, correct? I believe in the return field for eBay items, one of the reasons for wanting to return an item is "just didn't like it"...    :frustrated:

Yes, the grade is definitely not hammered. I know I have a Silver Age specimen @ 8.5 . It's usually not an obvious flaw, you have to angle the book to see it, but I know it's there.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I believe in the return field for eBay items, one of the reasons for wanting to return an item is "just didn't like it"...    :frustrated:

I always like the Seinfeld episode where he returns a jacket because he didn't like the salesman. They ask him the reason for return and he answers 'spite'.