• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this book look trimmed?

7 posts in this topic

I picked up this ASM 300 a while ago and was wondering what you all thought. Everything seemed fine until I compared it with another copy that I already had. And the old copy was taller (longer?) than the newer one. Can books vary in height like this? 

The bottom 3 pics have the old book stacked on top of the newer one, with the bottom of the books lined up, so you can see the difference in length at the top of the books.

160ACE99-C4DC-44C3-A3A3-CCFE512E9A40.jpeg

0A987DF7-D37B-425C-9803-3CE7DF599D80.jpeg

7C3F6D98-A8AB-4B92-8A6E-D08EE2537A8C.jpeg

4726E74E-ED43-43BF-A089-564D47F01907.jpeg

E604E344-5155-4C88-B58B-D162FA958AA1.jpeg

18FA9D98-E5EC-4C2C-9FAB-85710BDC13E4.jpeg

77AE94D7-1E5E-4E01-83EB-31FC4E5454FD.jpeg

2A2FD906-F1E7-4B70-837D-8430782ECC75.jpeg

Edited by James Lawry

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Books can and do vary in length and width. They also vary in shape. The majority of books are trapezoidal. Not cut perfectly rectangular. Size can be a tell of trim, but size isn't the defining issue. I see no outward signs of trim on this 300. IMO, it's not trimmed.

Thanks!  I really wasn't sure, I didn't know comics could vary in length.  To me it doesn't have the classic signs of trimming but wanted to check with people who have more experience than I :)

14 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I compared it to mine and picked a few points like the registered symbol on the right of the logo and it looks like it's the same distance from the edge. Looks good to me. 

Thanks!  Yeah I was mainly worried about he height difference which I thought was very strange lol.  But hopefully that is just a variance that can happen with books

27 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Thanks!  Yeah I was mainly worried about he height difference which I thought was very strange lol.  But hopefully that is just a variance that can happen with books

If you have an LCS that you frequent you could always have them take a look at it in person if you're still not sure. I have mine look at stuff all the time for second opinions.

10 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I compared it to mine and picked a few points like the registered symbol on the right of the logo and it looks like it's the same distance from the edge. Looks good to me. 

Distances can vary dependent upon wrap and variations in the size. The edge itself is king in determining trim. All of them and their relationship to each other. And the edges on this 300 appear to be machined by the same cutting tool that produced the rest of that print run.