• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 Extra Staples - not manufacturing.

48 posts in this topic

I recently purchased an ASM 129 5.0 with a note  that says "2 extra staples added, not manufacturing".

I'm totally confused by this- it seems to me that it would make most sense  that they were added during manufacturing since who would go through the trouble of adding extra staples when the original (underlying) staples seemed fine to begin with? I can understand staples added to a book that is falling apart...but not one thats intact.

Also the staples look the same to me.

Anyway- Just wondering does this effect the grade? Does extra staples added after manufacturing get a bigger grade hit than during manufacturing? Could you argue that there was a mistake made?

Love to hear opinions on this 

IMG_8961.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

IMG_8954.JPG

Perhaps I can shed some light on this subject. First, the positives: You still have a blue Universal label and the grade you received isn't horrible. On the down side, those extra staples definitely put the hurt on the overall grade of this book. And it surely appears as if this book had a fairly serious stapling malfunction either at the printing factory or afterward (or both). As for why someone would do this, it's anybody's guess, my friend. Why do people submit a book with a color copy cover that also has color touch on it? (A true story, I swear on a stack of bibles...)    :screwy:

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Perhaps I can shed some light on this subject. First, the positives: You still have a blue Universal label and the grade you received isn't horrible. On the down side, those extra staples definitely put the hurt on the overall grade of this book. And it surely appears as if this book had a fairly serious stapling malfunction either at the printing factory or afterward (or both). As for why someone would do this, it's anybody's guess, my friend. Why do people submit a book with a color copy cover that also has color touch on it? (A true story, I swear on a stack of bibles...)    :screwy:

True- but curious is theres a difference between during manufacturing and not...?

This is not that uncommon actually.  CGC puts that note on the label when staples were added later.  Some previous owner decided to do a bit of their own reinforcement.  Manufacturing errors would not receive that note from CGC.

20 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

True- but curious is theres a difference between during manufacturing and not...?

Absolutely, there's a big difference. From looking at this book, I think it's possible there was an issue with the original staples so someone felt compelled to try and reinforce them by adding extra staples later. That would explain the question of why they did what they did...

1 hour ago, Ozonetv said:

Were you wondering if you cracked it out and removed the extra staples and had it regraded what would happen?

5 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

I recently purchased an ASM 129 5.0 with a note  that says "2 extra staples added, not manufacturing".

I'm totally confused by this- it seems to me that it would make most sense  that they were added during manufacturing since who would go through the trouble of adding extra staples when the original (underlying) staples seemed fine to begin with? I can understand staples added to a book that is falling apart...but not one thats intact.

Also the staples look the same to me.

Anyway- Just wondering does this effect the grade? Does extra staples added after manufacturing get a bigger grade hit than during manufacturing? Could you argue that there was a mistake made?

Love to hear opinions on this 

Yes they affect the grade :foryou: if added later - first question.

second question- yes, because staples at the time of manufacturing do not take a hit at all. unless there is rust or something.

third question - I wouldn't think that there is a mistake, but there is a difference in staples they use, as far as how to tell or if these were different then those at manufacturing, idk. perhaps they could be the same? idk lol idk my staples...CGC probably does though...and I assume that is why the notation

Maybe CGC just went by how there is more than 1 set of staples, but to be honest I doubt that there was a manufacturing "error" of just added staples.... You could always buy the grader's notes, but there is no guarantee they would specify....

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Were you wondering if you cracked it out and removed the extra staples and had it regraded what would happen?

Yes they affect the grade :foryou: if added later - first question.

second question- yes, because staples at the time of manufacturing do not take a hit at all. unless there is rust or something.

third question - I wouldn't think that there is a mistake, but there is a difference in staples they use, as far as how to tell or if these were different then those at manufacturing, idk. perhaps they could be the same? idk lol idk my staples...CGC probably does though...and I assume that is why the notation

Maybe CGC just went by how there is more than 1 set of staples, but to be honest I doubt that there was a manufacturing "error" of just added staples.... You could always buy the grader's notes, but there is no guarantee they would specify....

I minored is staple identication in college, and I guarantee they're the same! :-)

Besides, it seems pretty obvious to me that the bad staples were applied after the good ones since they overlap the good ones. I cant think of a reason that would be done unless some shady staple dealer liked to mess with us.

3 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

I minored is staple identication in college, and I guarantee they're the same! :-)

Besides, it seems pretty obvious to me that the bad staples were applied after the good ones since they overlap the good ones. I cant think of a reason that would be done unless some shady staple dealer liked to mess with us.

lol "Comics" and things that make you go huh?

it IS a mystery haha

all I know is that CGC does know the difference, if there was a mix-up at manufacturing CGC would be able to tell the extra staples were applied then ...

I'd be interested to know what the "notation" would say then? hmmm, maybe, "2 extra staples added at Manufacturing"? 

not sure :foryou: 

42 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol "Comics" and things that make you go huh?

it IS a mystery haha

all I know is that CGC does know the difference, if there was a mix-up at manufacturing CGC would be able to tell the extra staples were applied then ...

I'd be interested to know what the "notation" would say then? hmmm, maybe, "2 extra staples added at Manufacturing"? 

not sure :foryou: 

yes- I have a book with that noted.

10 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

yes- I have a book with that noted.

I took interest in this thread, and I thank you for telling me that, because I recently made an ebay purchase with bad pictures....

The pictures were too blurry to make out the cert number or any notes, but the cert number was in the description. I looked up the cert number, and it said "2 staples added after manufacturing" :foryou: 

So I was interested in what other's had said (thumbsu I had already bought it..... I didn't think I could dispute anything, probably could have ha, but I counted it as my bad....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I took interest in this thread, and I thank you for telling me that, because I recently made an ebay purchase with bad pictures....

The pictures were too blurry to make out the cert number or any notes, but the cert number was in the description. I looked up the cert number, and it said "2 staples added after manufacturing" :foryou: 

So I was interested in what other's had said (thumbsu I had already bought it..... I didn't think I could dispute anything, probably could have ha, but I counted it as my bad....

I've heard a rumor there are folks who actually keep a "stash" of staples which were used for Silver and Bronze Age Marvel comics... :devil:

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

49 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I've heard a rumor there are folks who actually keep a "stash" of staples which were used for Silver and Bronze Age Marvel comics... :devil:

Thats actually very true- not a rumor.

BTW- I sent in some pix to customer service to have them take a quick look...I just don't get the logic behind adding bad staples over good other than a manufacturing error, so its worth a try to have it re-examined.

weird the area around staples show the classic damage caused by replaced staples wtf

36 minutes ago, kav said:

weird the area around staples show the classic damage caused by replaced staples wtf

right? But the original staples are intact. My only logical explanation is it got messed up in a production error...

1 minute ago, Ozonetv said:

right? But the original staples are intact. My only logical explanation is it got messed up in a production error...

Those staples are identical-they both look like manufacturing 'stitching' as its called-not something that came out of a stapler.  I almost want to say resubmit and ask for second opinion or maybe send pic to cgc for feedback.

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

This is not that uncommon actually.  CGC puts that note on the label when staples were added later.  Some previous owner decided to do a bit of their own reinforcement.  Manufacturing errors would not receive that note from CGC.

This makes no sense to me - if it were done after manufacturing, then either the original staples were the crappy ones or the good ones were the original.  If the bad ones came first, that is one good staple job. If the good ones came first - then why even do it? My only logic was some messed up staple machine went ballistic.

Not to mention it makes no logical sense for a person to staple over another staple and as judge jusy says if it doesnt make sense its not true.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Those staples are identical-they both look like manufacturing 'stitching' as its called-not something that came out of a stapler.  I almost want to say resubmit and ask for second opinion or maybe send pic to cgc for feedback.

agreed- already sent pix.

curious to know what kind of grade bump it would be if it were overturned.

Just now, Ozonetv said:

agreed- already sent pix.

curious to know what kind of grade bump it would be if it were overturned.

quite a lot as manufacturing errors are not counted.