• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 Extra Staples - not manufacturing.

48 posts in this topic

Think about it-that one staple is twisted and not fully seated-  If someone was stapling, they would pull it out and do over.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, Ozonetv said:

Doesnt look either cleaned nor pressed. I'm thinking 11

-it could be an 11

You think CGC will overturn their own decision? Why? Because you don’t think it makes sense? There are not THAT many staple sizes so the fact they look identical doesn’t mean much. Stapling in top of the other staple makes perfect sense so you don’t damage another part of the book. But best of luck in your quest to get it reversed I just don’t see it happening.

4 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

You think CGC will overturn their own decision? Why? Because you don’t think it makes sense? There are not THAT many staple sizes so the fact they look identical doesn’t mean much. Stapling in top of the other staple makes perfect sense so you don’t damage another part of the book. But best of luck in your quest to get it reversed I just don’t see it happening.

The logic of stapling over existing staples makes no sense when theres nothing wrong with those existing staples (at least outwardly so).  I'm questioning it because I don't see why they would do it, and a production error would explain it a lot better than a crazed guy with expertly matched staples who does a crappy job.

21 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

except manufacturers do not use staples-they use wires which are cut in a process called stitching and they do not look like staples that come from staplers.

13 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

The logic of stapling over existing staples makes no sense when theres nothing wrong with those existing staples (at least outwardly so).  I'm questioning it because I don't see why they would do it, and a production error would explain it a lot better than a crazed guy with expertly matched staples who does a crappy job.

If the pics that you sent doesn't make cgc offer a reversal, I'd suggest at least buy the $5-10 grader notes...

:foryou: that might save some time...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If the pics that you sent doesn't make cgc offer a reversal, I'd suggest at least buy the $5-10 grader notes...

:foryou: that might save some time...

I think he wants just a re think and maybe a hey this is worth looking at if you want to resubmit.  

If it was my book I would say the staples look identical and manufacturing errors happen and it makes no sense someone would staple over a staple so what exactly was the indicator that this is not a manufacturing error?  And I would pay for that information.  Conversely it is within the realm of possibility that a re look with more experienced pernsonnel could lead to a yes indeed this is a manufacturing defect.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

If it was my book I would say the staples look identical and manufacturing errors happen and it makes no sense someone would staple over a staple so what exactly was the indicator that this is not a manufacturing error?  And I would pay for that information.  Conversely it is within the realm of possibility that a re look with more experienced pernsonnel could lead to a yes indeed this is a manufacturing defect.

definitely going to pursue that. Thanks for the help kav- I'll use that info when I talk to them. I'l keep you posted.

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i am surprised it still received a grade of a 5.0 with those extra staples , i would be happy with that grade.....

just think how happy you would be if a re look got it a 7.5

On 6/9/2018 at 3:21 PM, kav said:

just think how happy you would be if a re look got it a 7.5

Kav- Been thinking about this...heres what I think happened: A book with good staples got accidently run thru the binder a second time - the second set of staples got mangled and tore up the book because the first set was there already.

What do you think? Any holes in that theory?

8 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

Kav- Been thinking about this...heres what I think happened: A book with good staples got accidently run thru the binder a second time - the second set of staples got mangled and tore up the book because the first set was there already.

No this is exactly what I think happened.  I believe it could be a CGC error-rare but possible.

29 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

Assuming you are correct, and this was done during manufacturing, I really don't think you are going to get the grade bump Kav suggested. While CGC is lenient on certain bindery problems they do not ignore them. I'm sorry but there are numerous holes and tears on this book and I am surprised it even got a 5.0 . A change in the wording on the label won't matter much. They may give you a 5.5 just for the effort but I think multiple holes throughout the whole book will not be allowed in a 7.5 .

Bomber Bob is correct...I sent pix and they basically said the most that could come of this is change the label to manufacturing error...no grade bump should be expected.

Still happy with the book...I was looking for a 5.0 to replace one that I lost in a bad trade. This looks tons better than that (as long as I'm not focusing on staples thru a macro lens).

1 hour ago, Ozonetv said:

Bomber Bob is correct...I sent pix and they basically said the most that could come of this is change the label to manufacturing error...no grade bump should be expected.

Still happy with the book...I was looking for a 5.0 to replace one that I lost in a bad trade. This looks tons better than that (as long as I'm not focusing on staples thru a macro lens).

Call back and say are you telling me if someone staples a book it gets the same grade as a manufacturing error because I dont believe it-let me talk to someone else.  

With your permission I want to start a thread on this in comics general we need more experts to weigh in.

Edited by kav

29 minutes ago, kav said:

Call back and say are you telling me if someone staples a book it gets the same grade as a manufacturing error because I dont believe it-let me talk to someone else.  

With your permission I want to start a thread on this in comics general we need more experts to weigh in.

Kav, you would be correct if this was a case of a neatly executed application of an extra set of staples. However, in this situation, it was staple on top of staple resulting in more damage than normal. The bent staple, tears, holes, etc cannot be ignored in the grade.