• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Half cover of AF15 ripped off-just throw the piece away?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

So you can tape back on a marvel value stamp?  like if you can get a bigger one and trim the dimensions exactly then BANG no qualified grade?

38 minutes ago, kav said:

I am taping all my detached covers immediately!  If you can slip piece of tape under staple BANG.  Reattach.

I have a great looking copy of Amazing Spider-man 3 however the only downside is the cover is only held on by about 2" of spine, I want to keep it raw however is there anyway I could get it strengthened?   

1 minute ago, tv horror said:

I have a great looking copy of Amazing Spider-man 3 however the only downside is the cover is only held on by about 2" of spine, I want to keep it raw however is there anyway I could get it strengthened?   

Yes-Tape!

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I think so however is there a special tape I could use as it is a great comic otherwise, also one more noob question for you Kav do you put the tape on the inside of the cover?  

I have used that removable tape and what you do is lay the book open flat and apply the tape top and bottom, front and back by staples.

5 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I don't think the fact that tape was used to re-attach the front cover made any difference on the grade for my copy. lol

IMG_1839.jpg

It looks like Spidey is doing his best "Matrix moves" to dodge all the damage on that book :grin:

Which makes it a pretty nice 0.5 book, Spidey himself is nearly unaffected. B|

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I have used that removable tape and what you do is lay the book open flat and apply the tape top and bottom, front and back by staples.

Is that Magic tape the same as you board and bag with, I wonder has anyone posted a tutorial or something as I don't want to make a mess. 

1 hour ago, kav said:

So you can tape back on a marvel value stamp?  like if you can get a bigger one and trim the dimensions exactly then BANG no qualified grade?

Now that is interesting.  If they can’t tell if it’s from another book it’s not “married” right? Of course, why would someone cut it out and then put it back in the same book with tape? I would love to see someone try this though and see what CGC does.

42 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Now that is interesting.  If they can’t tell if it’s from another book it’s not “married” right? Of course, why would someone cut it out and then put it back in the same book with tape? I would love to see someone try this though and see what CGC does.

you can but MVS on ebay...

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

It looks like Spidey is doing his best "Matrix moves" to dodge all the damage on that book :grin:

Which makes it a pretty nice 0.5 book, Spidey himself is nearly unaffected. B|

Yes the fact that Spidey is almost untouched is one this copies only redeeming qualities!

6 hours ago, kav said:

so since tape does not down grade should you reattach covers with tape?

6 hours ago, Jimbo749 said:

Thats what I got out of it,  no downgrade if the tape is used for the sole purpose of reattachment, or other specific restorative function. Whereas a stray piece of tape from a bag/board on your cover will be downgraded.  

I use tape on my bags,  so I should be careful. 

6 hours ago, kav said:

I am taping all my detached covers immediately!  If you can slip piece of tape under staple BANG.  Reattach.

Let's say you have a book with a detached cover that CGC would grade a 2.0 without any tape (maybe with a notation that the cover is detached??)

If you reattach the cover with tape, then my understanding is that under CGC's current policy, since the tape serves a function (to reattached the cover), CGC will basically grade the book as if the tape isn't there, i.e. as if the cover is still detached, and so you would still end up with a CGC grade of 2.0 (except now maybe with a notation that cover is reattached with tape??)

If you're planning on taping your books in order to gain an advantage when graded, then I'm not sure why this would motivate you to tape all of your detached covers, since the grade would remain the same, except possibly with a different note on the label that now mentions the tape (which some collectors frown on)...

Of course under CGC's old rules around tape rules, a book with a complete spine split / detached cover might be graded at say 1.0. Someone would then tape together the front and back cover, and reattach it to the interior, and have it graded again and receive say a 2.5.  For good reason, many folks didn't like this, and CGC appeared to agree, and eventually changed its stance on tape.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:20 AM, Spyder! said:

Why it would get their STAMP of approval of course. :)

9 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Tape it.  The grade should no way be lowered due to the tape imo if it serves a functional purpose.  On the flip side CGC should just grade it as if the tape was not there and piece missing so no increase in points with the tape.

If you read CGC's stated policy, then yes, I think that the grade shouldn't be lowered by taping half of the cover back onto the book, since the tape serves a functional purpose.

However, I don't think that CGC should, or would just grade it as if the tape was not there and the piece was missing.

If half the front cover was missing I suspect that it would grade out at a 0.5 or so in most instances.

If half the front cover was torn off but still present, you now have a complete book, and so depending on what the rest of the book looks like I could see it possibly getting a grade of a 1.0. Hence by taping it on, it could still possibly get a grade of a 1.0.

Just my two cents / opinion. CGC &/or others may disagree...