• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK Marvel Fans, I'll send you a digital No-Prize if you can figure this one out!

33 posts in this topic

Last year I was able to find an opened but complete box set of one of the rarest Marvel collectibles out there... The Marvel World Playset from Amsco...

marvelworldplayset.jpg

Unopened sets usually sell for higher than $500, and opened sets almost always have missing pieces or damage to the box, which is actually part of the diorama. Luckily, the person who had the set I got managed to open and set up the box correctly and keep all of the pieces from getting lost. I could not accomplish this amazing feat myself as my original set from the 70's has long been thrown out...

The set, besides having cardboard cutouts of The Baxter Building, Peter Parkers pad, The Daily Bugle, and (my favorite) Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum, also included cardboard cut out Marvel heroes and villains. They had everyone from Spidey to Power Man and Shang Chi in this set, and what's more, the cardboard cut outs were double sided. Daredevil was on one side and Matt Murdock was on the other, as was Captain Marvel on one side and Rick Jones (with wristbands on) on the other. Neat stuff for a toyset that kind of demanded kids know a bit about Marvel continuity if they were really going to enjoy all it had to offer.

Anyway, on to the query... There's one super heroine or villain included in these small carboard cutouts that I have no clue whatsoever who she is.

Was she made exclusively for the set? Is this a golden age hero or villain? No idea. First person to answer correctly and post another picture of the mystery character in a Marvel comic gets a digital No-Prize. Next post will be the cardboard cut out. Thanks!

you know -- I wonder whether or not that's supposed to be the Lady Sif on the front. I'm guessing that from the basic look and the sword she's got... but on the back, I don't know who that's supposed to be (as an alter ego).

I thought that was Madame Masque from Iron Man, not Madame Mystique... or am I wrong? And didn't she have a gun? Or perhaps this is some IM character I'm not familiar with...

tonofbricks.gif

you are correct, sir. ne'er was a big IM fan myself

My guess is Sif on one side and Jane Foster on the other. Maybe this is one of the characters where they didn't necessarily use the hero's alter ego on the reverse?

From the official Marvel Handbook...

Thor had just been involved in a relatively brief relationship with a mortal Jane Foster, and Odin was anxious to make him forget it. Soon after meeting Sif again, Thor's interest in her turned to passion, and the two became lovers and companions. Eventually , they pledged to marry. however, Thor's attachment for Earth frequently came between them. Sif much preferred the world o f the gods to the mundane world of mortals, and after attempting to adjust to Earth life on more than one occasion, returned to Asgard to live without Thor.

All of this occurred in the mid-late 70s around the time the playset was released...

It's Sif alright...

Jim