• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adding to my grail(s)

12 posts in this topic

I just took possession of this piece that I got in the Heritage auction:

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

ff40p23.jpg

Which nicely compliments the page I already have from their battle in that same issue:

XL_ff40_18.jpg

Resulting in a 2-page spread of one of the classic battles of all time, imho!

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

i'm embarrassed to admit that i see that Stan - or Artie or whomever did the lettering maybe - misspelled the Southern colloquiallism "y'all" in that first page, thus rendering said page worthless. Not all is lost, however, as you could send it to me if you wanted and rest easy knowing you did the right thing

i'm embarrassed to admit that i see that Stan - or Artie or whomever did the lettering maybe - misspelled the Southern colloquiallism "y'all" in that first page, thus rendering said page worthless. Not all is lost, however, as you could send it to me if you wanted and rest easy knowing you did the right thing

screwy.gif

Actually there's another typo ("lettering-o"?) in the panel where Doom says "these are no more pebbles" it should actually be "mere pebbles".

I'm gonna check the final published pages to see if they fixed it in the print stages.

Seeing's how I have a copyediting background, these errors make the page even more valuable to me... Sorry.

grin.gif

I don't think he was going for the Southern colloquiallism "y'all" in that sentence. It seemed more like a bastardization of "you'll" with a Yancy Street inflection to it? Try "You'll" in the phrase and it seems to make more sense than y'all? flowerred.gif But I totally agree that it renders the piece worthless and should be sent to Sal tongue.gif

I don't think he was going for the Southern colloquiallism "y'all" in that sentence. It seemed more like a bastardization of "you'll" with a Yancy Street inflection to it? Try "You'll" in the phrase and it seems to make more sense than y'all? flowerred.gif But I totally agree that it renders the piece worthless and should be sent to Sal tongue.gif

Gosh, you guys are right.

Sal, PM me your address, so I can pack this piece of Sh!# up and get its bad spelling pariah vibes out of my house!

insane.gif

Rhino you have some tremendous OA pieces in your collection. Tell me that you have these framed and hanging on the wall where they belong. Also, have you bought a nice high grade slabb of this issue just to keep them company? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! acclaim.gif

I have some of my favorites framed and hanging on the walls, a couple in my office at work too. I'm trying to decide how I want to display these: Do I frame them together in a single frame, or do I frame them separately but hang them side by side. I don't currently have a slabbed copy of FF 40 but I have a raw copy.

FF 39 and 40 were among the first comics I ever read as a kid, and definitely made a lasting impression on me. That's why getting pages from the climactic battle is a grail acquisition for me. cloud9.gif

I've been really fortunate to find multiple-page series from the same book. I have these 2 from FF 40, two consecutive pages of Angel vs Iron Man from TOS 49, three consecutive pages of Thor vs Mr. Hyde from JIM 106, and now I just picked up a second consecutive page of Iron Man vs Hulk from Avengers 3 (pic to be posted in the near future). There's something really cool to me about having consecutive pages. Unfortunately most books' OA pages have been split up and spread out to the 4 corners of the Earth.

I guess it'll be my personal quest to try to gather consecutive page runs of comics that are signficant to me! thumbsup2.gif