• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the heck is SOTI??

36 posts in this topic

Huh? Did someone just offer you a copy?

Nope. Your question made me realize it had been a while since I looked for a copy. So there it is! A search and a score. And my considerable thanks!

PS - were my typos corrected to your satisfaction? And did you enjoy the links to the real deal?

Umm...NO.

What you call geeky in the early 90s, tons of chicas called HOT! cool.gif

There's so much good stuff in the sex maniac chapter it's hard to choose.

The Batman and Robin paragraphs are great.

"If the girl is good-looking she is undoubtedly the villainess. If she is after Bruce Wayne, she will have no chance against ."

And there is one that talks about young girls becoming prostitutes so they could afford to buy their romance comics:

"A girl of seventeen supplied school girls of twelve to fourteen to middle-aged men. She had about twenty-five girls...The seventeen-year-old girl got $1.50 to $2.00 from each customer. But she gave the girls only a quarter or fifty cents"

And of course:

"For boys, Wonder Woman is a frightening image"

By the way, 14 Of Spades. Later on in the thread are a few bits on Parade Of Pleasure. This is a book similar to Secuction Of The Innocent - came out in 1955 I believe. You know how you see those SOTI references? Well you will also see POP (Parade Of pleasure) references. Very similar model.

Has anyone ever seen a copy of this book that was not ripped off from a library? When I was kid growing up in suburban NY in the 70's, our public library had an original copy with the biblio. I loved checking that out twice a year or so. And then it was gone. Same thing happened to the copy of the university I went to. Since then, I've looked at a bunch of copies and almost everyone I've seen with a biblio has library markings on it. I'm sure some of them were sold off at book fairs and such by libraries not suspecting their value. Still, it's kind of discouraging.

And, as far as Wertham goes, this book is extremely discouraging to me as a psychologist. Even by the standards of the 50's, this book is a gross stretch and an abuse of professional authority. And I feel this way despite actually believing that kids shouldn't be reading excessively violent books (or watching such TV or movies, or playing video games, etc.). Wertham just lost it over the sexual stuff and was completely irresponsible. Remember that psychologists, like all other professionals, can be in error and subject to intellectual trends. Something to keep in mind especially in this time of the over-medication of children.

So I feel $50 was a good deal!

I got mine for a buck when a seminary in Connecticut sold off their old stock. It didn't have a dust cover, do you think I was gypped? confused.gif

Has anyone ever seen a copy of this book that was not ripped off from a library?

The copy I have wasn't from a library, but I know what you mean. When I was Boston, before I found that copy, I did internet Library Catlogue searches. Every copy I found was listed as missing.

Boy were you suckered in!

I know. I feel so...used! blush.gif

Seriously, the story is bittersweet because I ended up selling it(for a nice profit of course), and now I want another copy...which will probably cost me at least a hundred bucks.

Seriously, the story is bittersweet because I ended up selling it(for a nice profit of course), and now I want another copy...which will probably cost me at least a hundred bucks.

Doesn't that always seem to be the way? Just make sure you donp;t sell you Atlas/ACG/EC books. I guarantee a couple of years later you'll want them back!

Doesn't that always seem to be the way? Just make sure you donp;t sell you Atlas/ACG/EC books. I guarantee a couple of years later you'll want them back!

Well, I've held on to most of my Pre-Code stuff for years; I did regrettably sell a few things that I want back(like MARVEL TALES #96) but some of it I've had since the late eighties. There's something about that Pre-Code Horror that makes one hold onto it, even when I'm not in a comics frame of mind.

Huh? Did someone just offer you a copy?

Hey Greggy! Don't know if you remember this. Just received my copy of Parade Of Pleasure all the way from England no less! And it has something fascinating in it. You know those printed pieces of paper collectors put in their books that say "from the collection of John Smith" or similar? Well, mine is from the collection of "Captain Sir Malcolm Bullock, Bart." I did an internet search and one Sit Malcolm Bullock was a member of the Tory Party and some sort of English politician. I really like the idea (the book was published in England) of a proper politician reading this and maybe getting kind of upset by it. It gives it a certain flair. And am seeking a full sized scan of the cover if anyone can supply. Would love to print it out and use it for my coverless copy.