• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarce Timely - What's it worth?

15 posts in this topic

Sometimes a comic is bought or sold so infrequently it's hard to know the FMV. Case in point Comedy Comics 9. I wonder what you pro's out there think this is worth or what it may go for in auction. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif There is only one other certified copy of this book and it's an 8.0 Universal label.

Guide value now 6.0 = $867 8.0 = $1,806.

A GPAnalysis of this comic shows that the 8.0 comic sold for $2,185 in Mar, 2003. I don't know what the guide value was in 2003 but I assume it was less. I had this book slabbed so at that time it was the only certified copy.

Thanks in advance for any input. 893applaud-thumb.gif

850834-cc9.jpg

850834-cc9.jpg.3114941eadf2ac42bc5df5ec04b26239.jpg

Hopefully some of our more experienced GA members will chime but as long as your happy with the purchase and didn't buy for purely speculative means maybe you did okay. Have you searched any of the sites like Metropolis to see if they have any copies for sale? First I have heard of this book but I'm not sure what kind of demand there is for them. Do you have other GA Timley interests?

Good suggestion. I'll try surfing the web a bit and look for it.

If you take a look at my basic website link below you can see some scans of my Timelys. I don't have many but I like collecting em and wish I could afford more. My other area of interest is Underground comics of the 60's and 70's.

Well you have some great taste with those Torch, Marvel Mystery and Cap books. I guess the reason I asked is because I would have thought that you would rather have picked up another one of the above books. $1,800 could have picked you a nice copy of any one of the above mentioned titles.

Nice book. I haven't seen it before either. What's the Gerber on this baby?

Bet Jon Berk can contribute to the discussion.

That's what I love about the GA section, you can always count on people to post books you've never seen before. thumbsup2.gif

Mark, if you had to take a wild guess, how many golden or atom age books (including giveaways) would you say have been excluded from the photo journal?

Mark, if you had to take a wild guess, how many golden or atom age books (including giveaways) would you say have been excluded from the photo journal?

Wow, that's tough. We've had some threads touch upon this.

The master Jon Berk could really help with this answer as many of the Gerber photos are of his books, so basically it depends on how many books Jon was missing! gossip.gif

It has a fair amount of demand among hardcore Timely collectors as it is a continuation of Daring Mystery and contains stories featuring many of the same costumed heroes that appear in the last issue of that title.

Highest graded copy on the Comiclink auction, CGC 8.5. "Listed as scarce" but has no bids on it as yet with an opening minimum bid of $1,250.

This one just slabbed 6/10/05. Isn't on the census yet. Hats off to however got this one slabbed. hail.gif

Didn't mean to misinform by saying there were only 2 certified copies.

Sometimes a comic is bought or sold so infrequently it's hard to know the FMV. Case in point Comedy Comics 9. I wonder what you pro's out there think this is worth or what it may go for in auction. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif There is only one other certified copy of this book and it's an 8.0 Universal label.

Guide value now 6.0 = $867 8.0 = $1,806.

A GPAnalysis of this comic shows that the 8.0 comic sold for $2,185 in Mar, 2003. I don't know what the guide value was in 2003 but I assume it was less. I had this book slabbed so at that time it was the only certified copy.

Thanks in advance for any input. 893applaud-thumb.gif

850834-cc9.jpg

That's a beauty!! Thanks for sharing 893applaud-thumb.gif

There was a decent copy in the Windy City collection but no copy in the massive Timely/Atlas/Marvel non-super hero collection I picked up 2 years ago.

I've owned 2 (including the Windy City) in the past 29 years.