• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing a Child Under 12 for FREE to San Diego Comic Con

2 posts in this topic

I read that SDCC is FREE for Children under 12 with a paying adult.  It says Children don't need to register for an ID, but then says you "May" register your child when you arrive onsite.

MY QUESTION IS... Does "MAY" mean it's OPTIONAL to register your child?

What I want to avoid is coming to SDCC with a child and my badge, then finding out that I have to stand in a line to process the child in and register him, as opposed to just walking in with him as if he were luggage (so to speak) without incident.  

I imagine at times the answer depends on the age of the child since a 12 yr old can walk and wander and inevitably get lost, so might need some sort of ID. 

My situation is that I would bring a toddler aged 2 in a stroller, never leaving my site or possession, accompanying me at all times.

SO... I figured many on these boards have attended SDCC in the past with a child and I wanted to know what the protocol is.

Also, does it matter if you have an Exhibitor Badge or an Attendee Badge as far as the rules goes, since I'm coming to SDCC to help an exhibitor, so have the exhibitor access.

Thanks to all in advance!

INFO Extracted from the SDCC Website:

CHILDREN

Comic-Con is proud to offer one of the most generous free child badge policies in the comic convention industry! Children age 12 and under may attend Comic-Con 2018 for free with a paying adult. Children do not need to register for a Comic-Con Member ID. You may register your child when you arrive onsite.

**Children 12 and under are free with a paying adult. Juniors (age 13 -17) pay junior prices. Seniors (age 60 years and older) pay the Military/Senior reduced price. Active-duty military with ID pay the Military/Senior price. This deal does not extend to military dependents.
BASIC BADGE INFORMATION
Everyone, age 13 and older, that wants to attend Comic-Con International, must have a valid and confirmed Comic-Con Member ID.

Child Badge Policy

Children (age 12 and under) are free with a paying adult! Children do not need to register for a Comic-Con Member ID to receive a complimentary badge. You may register two children per paid adult attendee. Adults will be required to provide emergency contact information for any child registrant. Please visit the Attendee Registration Area when you arrive onsite for more information. 

To accommodate the transition from child to junior (age 13-17), we have set a static date to determine who is considered a child for Comic-Con 2018. If you are age 12 or under on September 30, 2017, you do not need to buy a badge for Comic-Con 2018. You may attend as a child, with a paying adult. If you are age 13 or older on September 30, 2017, you must create a Comic-Con Member ID and purchase a badge for Comic-Con 2018.

Comic-Con 2018 Child-to-Junior Badge Validation

The child-to-junior validation period is now closed. The deadline to validate your Comic-Con 2017 child badge for Returning Registration eligibility was October 6, 2017. If you missed the validation deadline, you may still be eligible to participate in Comic-Con 2018 Open Registration. 

Sorry, I can't answer your question. But I can throw this up. SDCC is believe it or not, a good place for children under 12. Too much going on, huge crowds, and kids that young get tired pretty easily. They probably won't enjoy it too much and I can guarantee you won't either. That being said, I'm sure there are those who will show up with their "support dogs"...