• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCOTUS Reverses Itself - Online Buyers Must Pay Sale Tax
2 2

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, grebal said:

You are so effing right.

It's fair in theory because we're supposed to be paying Sales/Use tax anyway (in the 46 or whatever states).

But it's going to end up unfair because states are always on lookout for new tax revenue stream.

So when, e.g. NY, NJ, and Cali impose a state sales tax on all transaction with any nexus in their states (contact by either buyer or seller in a transaction) it might end up trying to impose a NY surtax when me, in Texas, buy from a NYS seller.  Conceivably.  Haven't read the court's Opinion.  But almost certainly if they pass that kind of tax it will be challenged and back before the SCOTUS.  And just as almost certainly, many states will try, imo.

Yeah I definitely agree that states will be creative in their reaction to this decision in the absence of any congressional action. At least what's known about it. Maybe too creative in many cases. 

I'm all for taxing but just please stay away from the little guy. The main thing is this may or may not make an already unaffordable hobby of comic collecting even more unaffordable/out of reach. Someone in a high sales tax state wants to buy a high end key book they can only find on eBay with this ? Really? They're not gonna afford it!

This might be legislating from the bench :mad:! Who elected these 5 people?

9 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:
12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

This might be legislating from the bench :mad:! Who elected these 5 people?

The question should be, who elected the presidents who appointed them?

lol Exactly.

Actually the problem with most laws is that we have a bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in congress (on both sides) that enacted silly legislation.

It cracks me up when I see those same members of congress outraged at career bureaucrats and their actions, when in actuality, those bureaucrats are only following the stupid legislation (laws) that congress has passed.

20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

lol Exactly.

Actually the problem with most laws is that we have a bunch of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in congress (on both sides) that enacted silly legislation.

It cracks me up when I see those same members of congress outraged at career bureaucrats and their actions, when in actuality, those bureaucrats are only following the stupid legislation (laws) that congress has passed.

Saw a meme a little while ago that pretty much summed government up.  It was regarding Congressmen, but really applies to all of them.  It read, 'It costs $4 million dollars to land a $125K job.  Who do you think they work for?'

The legislation is never stupid, it's just selectively beneficial.

Edited by SteppinRazor

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

lol Exactly.

The best politicians are those who make a career out of being selectively outraged over "judicial activism". They leave out the part where their phony outrage only applies to judges they don't like.