• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favor of e-commerce for now collecting Sales tax-eBay sellers all states
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, VintageComics said:
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, lizards2 said:

I'm curious whether local comic shops in Californica charge sales tax anyway. 

I remember asking a comic convention promoter about this (if I came and sold books in California), and I thought he said that  you're supposed to collect the sales tax and mail it with a form to the state.  And he was a shop owner. 

I may be remembering this all wrong though.

When I set up in San Diego it was mandatory to register with the BOE in California and submit a sales tax payment for sold items.

It was that way back in the 90's when I did shows..... many promoters required a business license for the local municipality as well. It caused me some trouble once when I got a license locally for a friend who couldn't get off work.... he was selling his collection, and I was audited a couple years later by the City of Virginia Beach to find out what happened to "my" business. Luckily, my explanation of the situation clarified things. In some places a simple Peddler's license was sufficient. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/23/2018 at 5:36 PM, VintageComics said:

When I set up in San Diego it was mandatory to register with the BOE in California and submit a sales tax payment for sold items.

San Diego as well as most other conventions require a Temporaray sellers permit.  I setup in the state,  do a show, collect and file sales tax.  Without the permit you are unable to register badges etc.

The rest of the year CA customers are not charged sales tax.  Going forward I'm assuming that they would which means that each state will probably require a online business to have a sale tax number.  X number of states multipled by up to 4 quarterly filings and you have the potential for small business to have to file 200 sales tax returns a year.  I'm sure business accountants are smiling.