• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM-First SS/Gal Rip back cover

12 posts in this topic

Hi- Thanks for the help. I had this signed at Emerald City Comic Con 2017. Directly after the signing, at the CGC booth, while I was reading the grading process options, I sat this back down on top of the adhesive flap on the back of the sleeve. There is a big tear on the top of the back cover and a piece missing from me pulling it up, not knowing there was adhesive(new to comic collecting). I was so bummed I cried in front of all those people around the booth and chose not to send it in to CGC that day after all.

What would you grade it as is? And what would it of gotten if I wasn't a careless brute? Thank you!!!

ff3.jpeg

ff2.jpeg

I've done it-on ASM 50.  not fun.  3.5 now with the 'name written on cover' designation it would get.  Value-wise I would have gotten it graded.  It would have been an SS 4.0-4.5.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

I've done it-on ASM 50.  not fun.  3.5 now with the 'name written on cover' designation it would get.

what would you put it at before I ripped the back? I couldn't believe it. I had another comic with me and when it happened, The Incredible Hulk 105 and I closed my eyes and hoped it was the hulk comic, not the first silver surfer...!!!!

2 minutes ago, BeRealBro said:

what would you put it at before I ripped the back? I couldn't believe it. I had another comic with me and when it happened, The Incredible Hulk 105 and I closed my eyes and hoped it was the hulk comic, not the first silver surfer...!!!!

looks like a 6.5, before.  And yes tape is psychic-it will always head for the most valuable book.  I was scanning a stack of books for ebay and it was the ASM 50 that got the tape-not all the $5 books I was scanning.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

looks like a 6.5, before.  And yes tape is psychic-it will always head for the most valuable book.  I was scanning a stack of books for ebay and it was the ASM 50 that got the tape-not all the $5 books I was scanning.

wow, so you know the feeling... Ill tell you what though, Ill never do it again! I know that much! 6.5-3.5 is a big drop... I figured it would be a bad drop. but honestly would be happy with a 3-4 overall now. But karma came back to me, as I was leaving the signing, ming chen was there helping out and I got a selfie with him! and, to add the cherry on top, a few hours later, in line for Robert Englund photo op, he came up behind me and scared me and said in the freddy Krueger voice "Pay Attention" and placed his hand on my shoulder! So I cheered up pretty quick. Still hurts tho when I think about it...

4 minutes ago, BeRealBro said:

wow, so you know the feeling... Ill tell you what though, Ill never do it again! I know that much! 6.5-3.5 is a big drop... I figured it would be a bad drop. but honestly would be happy with a 3-4 overall now. But karma came back to me, as I was leaving the signing, ming chen was there helping out and I got a selfie with him! and, to add the cherry on top, a few hours later, in line for Robert Englund photo op, he came up behind me and scared me and said in the freddy Krueger voice "Pay Attention" and placed his hand on my shoulder! So I cheered up pretty quick. Still hurts tho when I think about it...

I could be wrong on the grades it might not be that bad.  and yes-you will never do it again.  I now remove a book, carry it across the room and set it down.  I treat the tape on side of bag as a radioactive waste area.

Edited by kav

I'm assuming your practice was to completely remove tape and place on side of bag.  Leaving tape on top flap-ever, is just asking for trouble.

Ps its hard to think clearly when this happens but the very best thing you could have done when you realized tape had stuck to back cvr is very carefully cut the tape and leave it on the book.

1 minute ago, kav said:

I'm assuming your practice was to completely remove tape and place on side of bag.  Leaving tape on top flap-ever, is just asking for trouble.

it wasn't even tape that got me. it was a self adhesive sleeve, strip of adhesive under the flap. I never noticed when I bought the comic and only opened it at the signing. 

Just now, BeRealBro said:

it wasn't even tape that got me. it was a self adhesive sleeve, strip of adhesive under the flap. I never noticed when I bought the comic and only opened it at the signing. 

Oh jesus christ WHY do people use those things!!!!!!! :cry: