• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Denny O'neil Batman?

9 posts in this topic

Happy Sunday everyone!

Denny will be attending the Tucson Con later this year - I'd love to have him sign a copy of his first Batman work, but I just can't figure out what that might be. I've been searching through pages on Google for the last couple of hours to no avail. I'm THINKING it might be Justice League #66 - would anyone here be kind enough to confirm that (or what the actual issue would be)? Thank you!!!

6 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

...and cross-referencing with Mike's Amazing World of Comics, using the newsstand function and working backwards from Sept. 1968 (when JLA 66 was on sale), I can't find an earlier story by Denny that has Batman in it.

Wow...above and beyond!!! Thank you you much @Unca Ben

1 hour ago, The Mad Irishman said:

Wow...above and beyond!!! Thank you you much @Unca Ben

You're welcome. :smile:  Actually it was easier to do than it sounds.  In Mike's Amazing World, there is a function that makes it pretty easy.
(For future reference) While viewing the page that displays JLA 66  there is a section about halfway down the page that lists the Featured Character(s) for that particular issue.  Next to each character listing is a data field that provides the last appearance & next appearance of that character.  I just clicked on the last appearance link(s) for Batman a few times, looking for Denny's name as writer, until I went back a year or so.  An example of the character section for JLA 66 is below:

Feature Character(s)

Mike's Amazing World of Comics is a great resource and is indexed exceptionally well.  I go there every now and then just to noodle around, especially the Newsstand feature where I can look at books from any given month and year (like when I was young and first started reading comics) and filter by publisher and/or date if I wish.  It's like going back in time and browsing the spinner racks as a kid all over again!
I can't say enough good things about the site!  It is definitely a labor of love.

Edited by Unca Ben

On 6/27/2018 at 10:07 PM, Unca Ben said:

You're welcome. :smile:  Actually it was easier to do than it sounds.  In Mike's Amazing World, there is a function that makes it pretty easy.
(For future reference) While viewing the page that displays JLA 66  there is a section about halfway down the page that lists the Featured Character(s) for that particular issue.  Next to each character listing is a data field that provides the last appearance & next appearance of that character.  I just clicked on the last appearance link(s) for Batman a few times, looking for Denny's name as writer, until I went back a year or so.  An example of the character section for JLA 66 is below:

Feature Character(s)

Mike's Amazing World of Comics is a great resource and is indexed exceptionally well.  I go there every now and then just to noodle around, especially the Newsstand feature where I can look at books from any given month and year (like when I was young and first started reading comics) and filter by publisher and/or date if I wish.  It's like going back in time and browsing the spinner racks as a kid all over again!
I can't say enough good things about the site!  It is definitely a labor of love.

Or you could search by creator. You can search their entire body of work in order of date with all publishers or limit it to a certain publisher like DC below.

Name: Dennis J. O'Neil
Known Aliases: Sergius O'Shaugnessy

Credit Type:  Stories Covers Editor   Publisher:  All Publishers DCMarvelArchieCharltonDark HorseDellGold KeyHarveyImage
There were 588 story credits found.
Total pages for all stories is: 12105
Publisher Comic Story Role(s) ↓ Cover Date
DC Beware the Creeper #1 Creeper: "Where Lurks the Menace?" Scripter May/Jun 1968
DC Bomba the Jungle Boy #6 Bomba: (Krag) Writer Jul/Aug 1968
DC Beware the Creeper #2 Creeper: (The Many Faces of Proteus) Writer Jul/Aug 1968
DC Wonder Woman #178 Wonder Woman: "Wonder Woman's Rival" Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Green Lantern #63 Green Lantern: "This Is the Way... the World Ends" Writer September 1968
DC Bomba #7 Bomba: "Nightmare" Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Beware the Creeper #3 Creeper: (The Isle of Fear) Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Bat Lash #1 Bat Lash: "We're A-Comin' ta Get You" Scripter Oct/Nov 1968
DC Green Lantern #64 Green Lantern: "Death to Green Lantern" Writer October 1968
DC Wonder Woman #179 Wonder Woman: "Wonder Woman's Last Battle" Writer Nov/Dec 1968
DC

Justice League of America #66

16 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Or you could search by creator. You can search their entire body of work in order of date with all publishers or limit it to a certain publisher like DC below.

Spoiler

Name: Dennis J. O'Neil
Known Aliases: Sergius O'Shaugnessy

Credit Type:  Stories Covers Editor   Publisher:  All Publishers DCMarvelArchieCharltonDark HorseDellGold KeyHarveyImage

There were 588 story credits found.
Total pages for all stories is: 12105
Publisher Comic Story Role(s) ↓ Cover Date
DC Beware the Creeper #1 Creeper: "Where Lurks the Menace?" Scripter May/Jun 1968
DC Bomba the Jungle Boy #6 Bomba: (Krag) Writer Jul/Aug 1968
DC Beware the Creeper #2 Creeper: (The Many Faces of Proteus) Writer Jul/Aug 1968
DC Wonder Woman #178 Wonder Woman: "Wonder Woman's Rival" Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Green Lantern #63 Green Lantern: "This Is the Way... the World Ends" Writer September 1968
DC Bomba #7 Bomba: "Nightmare" Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Beware the Creeper #3 Creeper: (The Isle of Fear) Writer Sep/Oct 1968
DC Bat Lash #1 Bat Lash: "We're A-Comin' ta Get You" Scripter Oct/Nov 1968
DC Green Lantern #64 Green Lantern: "Death to Green Lantern" Writer October 1968
DC Wonder Woman #179 Wonder Woman: "Wonder Woman's Last Battle" Writer Nov/Dec 1968
DC

Justice League of America #66

yep.  It's a great website.  :whee: