• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Noteworthy Community Issues - Input Sought

120 posts in this topic

While I think you've presented an excellent, well though out list of choices, what one must REALLY ask before nominating people to this panel is "what do they know about pressing" because I can't for the life of me imagine there being much talk of anything else.

Well..as moderator it's up to Mark to keep the panel focused and moving them on to other topics when appropriate. Personally, I'd be very disappointed if all they talked about was pressing. But on the otherhand, the panel I selected, except for maybe the eBay rep, should be well versed on the subject... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

I'm just being realistic. I know Mark is well intentioned, but let's be completely honest here, up until the moment that people start talking about pressing, everyone is going to be waiting for people to start talking about pressing and as we see every day here, it's not like there's ever a resolution to the great pressing cluster[fudge] (I guess that one's still not in the filter). Do the math.

Personally I'd rather stick my [this couldn't be filtered now that I think about it] in a light socket than attend this thing, but that's just me smile.gif

Edited for swears that I assumed would be filtered out but weren't. Just looking out for the children smile.gif

History of the World in the making.

Will somebody be playing Mel Brookes and singing about the inquistion?

Bob - - you need to be on this panel. You are on eof the very few who can speak honestly from all sides of this issue, without worrying about stepping on toes. And you have never been shy about voicing your views on the hobby, and business, of comics and slabs....

I nominate Bob Storms!

anybody second it?

Friesen (good luck)

Why good luck? This isn't focused at you Aman...but when is a good time for Friesen to talk about his service? At some point it's going to be time to speak...and at this panel you know damn well the topic is going to come up. It going to make Borock look awful silly to say..."you need to speak to Friesen about this" when everyone, to include CCG, knows it's going to come up. Good PR is to confront the questions directly...if they try to waffle on the question by using a missing panel as an excuse, it'll just perpetuate the belief that CGG/CGC is hiding something. Right or wrong...

Jim

thats my point Awe4one.

BECAUSE it would be a perfect venue for Frieson AND CGC to publically discuss their plans and thoughts......

BECAUSE we all would love to hear them speak about it and answer queestions, the same questions we have thrown at each other here for 6 months.....

exactly BECAUSE of what you say.... I say "good luck" pinning him down to appear.

I of course think he SHOULD --- and the venue and timing would be perfect, (for their side as well) to dispell any wild notions we may have...

...but... convince them its a good idea.

How about Vincent from Metropolis/Comic Zone?

I second Chuck Rozanski.

Definitely think you should get a resto expert... I don't know if Chris is actually going to SD this year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Nelson there, so you could always ask him. Or Susan Cicconi or Tracey Heft.

Petty is a good choice for Heritage - or maybe Lon since he deals with a lot of the comic book stuff.

Is Red Hook going?

27_laughing.gif I just read your post after offering to represent the blue collar collectors out there, in the other thread. Hmmm....maybe some well-meaning supporter of the voice of the people could buy me an airline ticket......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm just being realistic. I know Mark is well intentioned, but let's be completely honest here, up until the moment that people start talking about pressing, everyone is going to be waiting for people to start talking about pressing and as we see every day here, it's not like there's ever a resolution to the great pressing cluster[fudge] (I guess that one's still not in the filter). Do the math.

Hey, don't forget, this is not going to be a CGC Forum panel exclusive to just us. Although many of us will be there, we are surely to be greatly outnumbered by unsuspecting regular convention attendees, many of which have no idea what pressing even is. I think the general idea of this panel, to discuss the controversial and non-controversial topics regarding collecting back issues is going to have very widespread appeal. Although pressing and resto are certainly to be covered, I don't think the whole room is going to want to sit through 90 minutes of just that. The last 30 minutes with questions will cover a wide range of subjects. I hope that we Forumites don't just try to take over and dominate this event with our own dirty laundry, although certainly it will be PART of the program.

Hey, don't forget, this is not going to be a CGC Forum panel exclusive to just us. Although many of us will be there, we are surely to be greatly outnumbered by unsuspecting regular convention attendees, many of which have no idea what pressing even is. I think the general idea of this panel, to discuss the controversial and non-controversial topics regarding collecting back issues is going to have very widespread appeal. Although pressing and resto are certainly to be covered, I don't think the whole room is going to want to sit through 90 minutes of just that. The last 30 minutes with questions will cover a wide range of subjects. I hope that we Forumites don't just try to take over and dominate this event with our own dirty laundry, although certainly it will be PART of the program.

Good luck with that. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The following panel members would be interesting:

Borock

Matt Nelson and/or Susan Cicconi - to answer restoration topics

Chris Freisen - to speak to his new service because you know it's going to come up and no one else seems willing to talk about it

Chuck Rozanski - Biggest Comics Internet dealer on the planet. Great to have him there to answer questions concerning the changing buying habits of collectors.

Jason Ewert - One of the most successful eBay dealers. Can tell us where he gets those gems.

Brian Hibbs or another prominent brick and mortar dealer - can answer back issue topics from a brick and mortar perspective.

John Petty or someone else who can speak for Heritage - to answer questions about back issues from a auction house format

EBay Representative - to answer questions about the site in general but specifically focus on the procedures and actions targeting scam auctions. Seems as if this is becoming a bigger problem.

That's all for now...I'll probably add/delete others as I think of them...

Jim

Where are the average collectors on this list?

Regardless of who ends up on the panel, I think it would be great to get a couple of average collectors up there,..there are plenty of west coast boardmembers who would be great......all I see is the usual lineup so far and we know where they stand. It would be a shame if the "collectors" had to line up at a microphone at the end. A dodge here, a quip there, and the room empties out, and it's over.

There are a lot of hot issues out there right now, and no one on this list is going to be in any hurry to bring them up. You could end up with 10 people sitting up there reading mission statements, regurgitating their business plans and reciting their latest press releases.

Just a thought.

Red

Where are the average collectors on this list?

And what exactly would they add to the conversation the 30 minute question and answer period wouldn't cover?

Jim

You can't think of anything?

I can think of many topics to have the panel talk about but very few that I'd have any significant input to add without causing arguments and threatening to make a mockery of the panel. It's not the Forum for a b1tching session...

Jim

I can think of many topics to have the panel talk about but very few that I'd have any significant input to add without causing arguments and threatening to make a mockery of the panel. It's not the Forum for a b1tching session...

Jim

And what would you expect to learn from the panel as it was proposed earlier?

Maybe someone could ask Freisen how to get on his mailing list. confused-smiley-013.gif That sounds like a fascinating line of questioning.

First off I am the only person manning my booth.

2nd, being the biggest show of the year I don't believe I have the luxury of being away from my booth for 2 hours doing this panel.

Thank you for the nomination

Maybe someone could ask Freisen how to get on his mailing list. confused-smiley-013.gif That sounds like a fascinating line of questioning.

No...what would be fascinating is to hear about his new service from his own mouth which would put to rest some of the rumors at least. Then watch the questions develop from there...and boy, do I wish I was there to ask them...

I firmly believe comicdom doesn't know about the service yet...they will after the panel whether Freisen attends or not. If CGC/CCG were smart they'd find a way for him to attend or they risk one hell of a PR disaster...

Jim

No...what would be fascinating is to hear about his new service from his own mouth which would put to rest some of the rumors at least. Then watch the questions develop from there...and boy, do I wish I was there to ask them...

I firmly believe comicdom doesn't know about the service yet...they will after the panel whether Freisen attends or not. If CGC/CCG were smart they'd find a way for him to attend or they risk one hell of a PR disaster...

Jim

The Disaster is in Motion

Jim

At the risk of raising a HUGE [embarrasing lack of self control] stink, what exactly is the issue here?

1) Is it that CGC won't put "pressed" on a label? They've been very clear that they do not consider pressing restoration, and they've also been clear that they can't detect it in all books.

2) Is it that Chris Freisen is supposedly starting an in-house pressing service under the CGC umbrella? I say supposedly because there has been no confirmation of this, just rumor and innuendo.

3) Is it that people think certain dealers (sort of like "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" in the Harry Potter books) are merrily pressing away all of their books, flattening them like a pancake to maximize their profits? Of course, the fact that both Rob_React and I asked Jason Ewert flat out if he pressed books and he emphatically denied it last year means nothing, when we can have "Flatinum Platinum" dicussions left and right.

4) Is it that some people don't disclose that they press books? Perhaps thats because they don't think NON DISASSEMBLY PRESSING is a big deal. They think that flattening a book is OK. I don't think ANYBODY has ever agreed that taking a book apart to press it is good. That's restoration. Non-dissasembly pressing is a gray area, and many people either don't care or don't think its a big deal.

As I see it, here's the reality:

1) CGC does not, has not, and most likely won't, consider pressing restoration

2) Because of this, they won't put "Pressed" on a label

3) Because of (1) and (2), they won't put "restored" on any book that comes from the alleged Chris Freisen restoration lab (again, I've never seen a definitive statement saying he's going to actually do it) that has been non disassembly pressed.

4) There are certain "shady" dealers in the hobby who probably ARE pressing their books to the high heavens, but because of (1) and (2), these dealers are exploiting a loophole. There's not a whole lot CGC can do.

5) Nobody is saying taking a book apart isn't restoration.

Sorry if I've raised another can of worms, but I'm lost here and can't really understand the arguments because of all the noise. Can somebody tell me if I'm wrong in my thoughts above?