• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Noteworthy Community Issues - Input Sought

120 posts in this topic

Steve Borock has notified me he can no longer participate on the panel.

Disappointing to say the least as there will be many CGC related issues to be discussed and Steve, with all his experience, would certainly have been in an excellent position to respond.

I am working on finding a replacement.

How about Daniel from PGX? With SB dropping out...I really can't think of a better replacement. I wouldn't mind learning a little more about the only company that keeps CGC from having a complete monopoly.

We already know CGC's official stance on pressing....how about PGX? poke2.gif

Steve Borock has notified me he can no longer participate on the panel.

Disappointing to say the least as there will be many CGC related issues to be discussed and Steve, with all his experience, would certainly have been in an excellent position to respond.

I am working on finding a replacement.

How about Daniel from PGX? With SB dropping out...I really can't think of a better replacement. I wouldn't mind learning a little more about the only company that keeps CGC from having a complete monopoly.

We already know CGC's official stance on pressing....how about PGX? poke2.gif

PGX has the exact same stance on pressing. Even if they claimed to do otherwise, they couldn't reliably detect pressing if they wanted to.

I wonder if Borock would allow Mark Haspel to take his place being the #2 at CGC. That is assuming Haspel would want to being a much more softspoken guy. I do believe he'll be in SD as well. I'd certainly rather hear from Haspel than Daniel of PGX who I really think would be out of his element anyway.

"...this will really promote an open discussion and a free form exchange of ideas..." screwy.gif

Borock isn't even giving the Panel a chance... makepoint.gif

He's bailed before the accusation of a CGC b1tch session can be made. It's one thing to say he was shanghaied after the panel but to bail beforehand on the assumption of things not going his way is the cowards path in my opinion. Not to mention giving the distinct impression the pressing debate and CGC's stance on the matter, if it had a play in him not attending, isn't defendable in an open forum in his eyes...

Jim

Personally, I'm not really sure why he agreed to sit on the panel in the first place, since I believe it was basically a setup for you to take public potshots at CGC's stance on pressing. confused-smiley-013.gif Kind of like asking to have one's face kicked in publicly. screwy.gif

My thoughts exactly...first the title of the panel (and with pressing as one of the listed subjects, the title was not some hidden joke known only to forum members) and second, the fact that the "moderator" is anything but a moderate on the issue, and I'll borrow a phrase from Rob_React regarding a similar setup at one of the forum dinners a few years ago (paraphrasing): "...this will really promote an open discussion and a free form exchange of ideas..." screwy.gif

FFB/DrBanner --

My, my, aren't we the little conspiracists. Darn, if it weren't for you guys I would have gotten away with my master diabolical plan to ambush CGC and Steve Borock. 893whatthe.gif How did you guess that I have been spending a ton of time to coordinate the panel and talk about numerous topics just for the secret pleasure of embarrasing CGC on the pressing controversy? I probably should be insulted you view my motives with such disfavor and distrust (as well as the other panelists given I could not pull this plot off alone), but you are obviously entitled to your viewpoints. I am sorry to see you feel this way, but I am at least glad that others do not share your narrow-minded views.

If I were Steve, however, I would really be insulted as you obviously view him as a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Here it is I go out of my way to publicize the specific topics and how the panel would be run with me as a full participant just like everyone else (not to mention the private conversations I had with him), and yet he still fell for it and agreed to participate. screwy.gif

And, of course, I packed the panel with all anti-CGC people and panelists who want to do nothing other than challenge CGC on its pressing position (did you hear that Tom Gordon, Jon Berk and Mark Wilson, the jig is up!). yeahok.gif I am sorry to hear that you guys don't believe Steve should have accepted the spot in the first place and have little faith that he could handle whatever question or topic was brought up for discussion. Obviously, were either of you in Steve's place, you would lack the confidence, or perhaps "guts" given the forthcoming OK Coral attack, to promote his and his company's position/views.

Now that I think about it, perhaps I should view your statements as a compliment on my ability to argue my positions and create a sense of fear in CGC. acclaim.gif

BTW, Steve informed me he pulled out b/c of meetings he must now attend at the same time as the panel on behalf of CGC, and I certainly do not believe he is "scared" to take on whatever questions or topics that would have come up during the panel, whether from me, another panelist or a member of the audience.

Hi Mark,

Knowing that you purchase primarily CGC'd books for your collection and website, I seriously doubt you are a conspiracy terrorist looking to shoot down the very company which you depend on to protect you from purchasing undisclosed restored books.

FM

hi.gif

...you are obviously entitled to your viewpoints. I am sorry to see you feel this way, but I am at least glad that others do not share your narrow-minded views.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

And I can assure you that I'm not the only one that felt that you serving as the moderator of the panel was a bad idea... hi.gif

I am sorry to see you feel this way, but I am at least glad that others do not share your narrow-minded views.

Don't let the high volume and shrill pitch of your few supporters mislead you as to the size of your following. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am sorry to see you feel this way, but I am at least glad that others do not share your narrow-minded views.

Don't let the high volume and shrill pitch of your few supporters mislead you as to the size of your following. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yea, I know, back to the "comic sl*ts", "sheep", "crusadrers" and the like.

I've never attempted to have a following, nor called upon anyone to "follow" me. That has been the imagination of several of you who disagree with those of "us" who have concerns regarding several topics.

...you are obviously entitled to your viewpoints. I am sorry to see you feel this way, but I am at least glad that others do not share your narrow-minded views.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

And I can assure you that I'm not the only one that felt that you serving as the moderator of the panel was a bad idea... hi.gif

You obviously don't watch any of the Sat evening or Sun morning cable or network political talk shows, which is always what has served as the template for this panel discusison.

There is no requirement for a moderator to be impartial so long as it is handled professionally and fairly.

In light of Steve's unfortunate resignation from the panel, and in order to still have an independent grading service representative (particularly at the request of numerous CGC forumites), I am pleased to announce that Daniel Patterson, President, PGX, will join the panel.

Panel participants (as of July 10, 2005)

Mark S. Zaid - EsquireComics.com

Jon Berk - collector all powerful

Mark Wilson - PGCMint

Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing Managing Editor

Maggie Thompson, Publisher, Comic Buyers Guide

NEW - Daniel Patterson, President, PGX

You obviously don't watch any of the Sat evening or Sun morning cable or network political talk shows, which is always what has served as the template for this panel discusison.

There is no requirement for a moderator to be impartial so long as it is handled professionally and fairly.

You obviously don't know me, so I'll forgive your incorrect assumption that you know what I do or do not watch on TV. IMHO, the Tim Russert Meet the Press template is much more successful and professional than the faux "Fair and Balanced" circus act presented by outlets like Fox News and the Cannity and Holmes show...but you're certainly entitled to your opinion! makepoint.gif

You obviously don't know me, so I'll forgive your incorrect assumption that you know what I do or do not watch on TV. IMHO, the Tim Russert Meet the Press template is much more successful and professional than the faux "Fair and Balanced" circus act presented by outlets like Fox News and the Cannity and Holmes show...but you're certainly entitled to your opinion! makepoint.gif

I agree with you 100%.

And do you not agree that Chris Matthews, Tim Russert or John McLaughlin, for example, very much articulate their own personal opinions during their interviews, or at the very least present the opposing position of their guests in order to stimulate the discussion?

And if you do agree, then what basis do you or anyone else have, none of whom know me at all either, that I would not run the panel discussion in a professional and successful manner? makepoint.gif

Let it rest, guys. No good will come of this debate. The panel is now what the panel is, and people should reserve their critiques of the panel and Mark's performance as moderator for the post-con reports. Then it's all fair game. devil.gif

Let it rest, guys. No good will come of this debate. The panel is now what the panel is, and people should reserve their critiques of the panel and Mark's performance as moderator for the post-con reports. Then it's all fair game. devil.gif

As it should be. hi.gif

I still need someone to video and audio tape the panel so that we can arrange to have it online somewhere. Please contact me if you can help.

15afCGC96Rlabel.jpg

15afCGC96Rfull.jpg

893whatthe.gif That's a "Slight (P)"?!? foreheadslap.gif

One, or the other,.....but all three?!? makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Color touch = three 1/16th inch hits of color touch

Piece added = 1/16th inch piece used to square off a bindery corner

Tear seal = a 1/16th inch tear seal.

99.9% of the book is as-original. Calling this anything other than Slight (P) would be a crime.

15afCGC96Rlabel.jpg

15afCGC96Rfull.jpg

893whatthe.gif That's a "Slight (P)"?!? foreheadslap.gif

One, or the other,.....but all three?!? makepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Color touch = three 1/16th inch hits of color touch

Piece added = 1/16th inch piece used to square off a bindery corner

Tear seal = a 1/16th inch tear seal.

99.9% of the book is as-original. Calling this anything other than Slight (P) would be a crime.

Well, knowing the extent of the restoration helps. thumbsup2.gif

I guess knowledge really is power.

foreheadslap.gif

I often wonder why so many things around here need to get so complicated when they are not. Although I'm sure important topics will be discussed, this is not a presidential debate or Sunday morning TV talk show about world peace. This is a comic book panel discussion. If any model should be followed, it is previous comic convention panels. There is no such thing as an impartial moderator in a comic book panel, I mean who really cares? There may be hosts that just introduce a cast from a movie and then shuts up, etc, but normally why would a "moderator" even need to be impartial. It just seems like some people are looking at this as something much more important and life altering than it is. I look at a panel such as this for entertainment and information, does anybody think any policies are actually going to change from the outcome of this panel? Good luck if you do. Who even says there is a NEED for anyone to be impartial? This isn't even a debate, although I'm sure there will be opposing views on various subjects, heck I went to one panel where the subject matter was Which Is Better: The Old Godzilla or the New Godzilla? Yeah, people took this pretty seriously, but no one moderated and everybody left as friends. Let's lighten up. My guess is that people expecting fireworks may just see a few sparklers anyway.