• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm done with the ones that use to be across the street
2 2

93 posts in this topic

"When I do it it's truth-telling when you do it it's inciting conflict"

-Not Abraham Lincoln

12 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

we have had submitters that have repeatedly called and challenged grades given and had them adjusted accordingly in some cases.

This is disconcerting. I don't understand how this can happen as you are not suppossed to know your grades until the books are shipped. Even years ago, when you knew your grades same day as graded, they did not want to discuss it unless you had the book in hand. 

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is disconcerting. I don't understand how this can happen as you are not suppossed to know your grades until the books are shipped. Even years ago, when you knew your grades same day as graded, they did not want to discuss it unless you had the book in hand. 

If you monitor daily you will see the grades when they move to shipping, you have a typically small window to make that call, and in some cases you will have to send them back for another look after delivery has been made. None of that bothers me as much as the fact that the books were not graded accurately the first time. In the other thread right now Roy sent in a book he thought was an easy 9.8, came back 9.6. Cracked and resubbed and now it's a 9.2... How does that even happen.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You can call and get grades when the books show "Graded/QC." That's always been true.

And there are many books I've subbed that, even now, I could tell you the flaws, even not having seen them for months.

That still strikes me as odd, how does a persons memory just retain all this. I mean, going through thousands of books and we remember all this or see books and now that we/someone we know owned it.

7 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:
22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You can call and get grades when the books show "Graded/QC." That's always been true.

And there are many books I've subbed that, even now, I could tell you the flaws, even not having seen them for months.

That still strikes me as odd, how does a persons memory just retain all this. I mean, going through thousands of books and we remember all this or see books and now that we/someone we know owned it.

When I worked in HR, my mind could recall certain folks social security numbers.  Now, can't recite them, but I would probably recognized them.  I remember where I bought thousands of my comics.

I ran into a postal worker last week that retired 20 years ago, and which I may have seen around town twice since then. he asked me if I was still living at "137 South K"?  Yup.  He said his brain is still full of that stuff, and he can't get it out.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

When I worked in HR, my mind could recall certain folks social security numbers.  Now, can't recite them, but I would probably recognized them.  I remember where I bought thousands of my comics.

I ran into a postal worker last week that retired 20 years ago, and which I may have seen around town twice since then. he asked me if I was still living at "137 South K"?  Yup.  He said his brain is still full of that stuff, and he can't get it out.

Crazy how that works.

I can't remember names for anything...but I numbers? Numbers are easy. Am I an idiot-savant? Or just an idiot? ;)

It's why I feel for people who need a list to keep track of comics they don't have. I've never needed one, because I can remember almost all of them. 

And if I've taken a mental snapshot of where something is, I can nearly always find it. Moving things drives me up the wall, because then I can't find anything.

But ask me what someone's name is that I met a week ago? Forget it. Ain't happening.

I remember every time somebody gave me a like thing. It is less than 3 and more than zero. Now the confused/snarky comment stuff, I don't remember to much, but in my defense, I don't think anybody can remember 6 digits

Funny how that works.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can't remember names for anything...but I numbers? Numbers are easy. Am I an idiot-savant? Or just an idiot? ;)

It's why I feel for people who need a list to keep track of comics they don't have. I've never needed one, because I can remember almost all of them. 

And if I've taken a mental snapshot of where something is, I can nearly always find it. Moving things drives me up the wall, because then I can't find anything.

But ask me what someone's name is that I met a week ago? Forget it. Ain't happening.

My son told me where a game was 2 years after I thought he lost it. I brought it up and he said (it fell under the seat in mommas car). I pulled up the seat cushion and it was there.

11 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

My son told me where a game was 2 years after I thought he lost it. I brought it up and he said (it fell under the seat in mommas car). I pulled up the seat cushion and it was there.

My middle child, Jay, knows where everything in the house is, despite not being around much any more.  The other two kids are clueless, and express surprise to know we own something that may have sat on the coffee table for ten years.

If I can't find something, I call Jay in Australia, and he tells me right where it is at.

59 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

If you monitor daily you will see the grades when they move to shipping, you have a typically small window to make that call, and in some cases you will have to send them back for another look after delivery has been made. None of that bothers me as much as the fact that the books were not graded accurately the first time. In the other thread right now Roy sent in a book he thought was an easy 9.8, came back 9.6. Cracked and resubbed and now it's a 9.2... How does that even happen.

Interesting. Last time I called, they told me the status moves to shipped when the shipment is actually out the door = they physically could not look at the books. I don't know the details of Roy's experience but, as in all cases of a dramatic drop in grade, you always have to consider damage.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

How many threads do we have complaining about the delays, overdue and longer turnarounds here?  I have seen it everywhere here.

It's been consolidated into 1 thread for I have no idea how many years. I remember waiting months for moderns, and forget complaining theres always some BS reasoning.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, etowah1123 said:

The turnaround times for the company that moved to central time zone are so far behind in grading its comical almost.  Ridiculous. I've had enough shouldn't take over 15 weeks to grade a book.  If they would have been up front and said they weren't going to be behind that's one thing but I asked twice and was told no u will have it in 12 weeks.  Sorry to vent but it's BS

This is something that has transpired with CGC grading nearly every year during and immediately after the summer convention season.  Do you vent then as well?

9 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

we are getting there my friend! The year is improving, the past 2 have been less than stellar.

Pat,

Good to hear. On a side note, I am still getting together my next sub to CGC. At the rate that I'm assembling it, it may be 2020 before it reaches CGC.