• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181

15 posts in this topic

Hey folks! Thinking of purchasing a non-cgc graded book, and was wondering what folks thought the grade would be if I cracked it and subbed with cgc. I understand that it’s in a case so might be hard to tell, but any feedback would be great. Thanks!

23A769C9-0A3E-44C4-8B51-512DAF5954B6.jpeg

3F7A9DA0-1F73-4A8B-8500-D4F7659E6E00.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Is that glare on the front case or is there water damage? Seems like some defects going on but can't be sure.

Unfortunately, books not in hand. I’m considering purchasing the book so before I take the leap I was hoping more experienced folks could help out. 

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

If its see bee see es then you can go to their website and enter the serial number of the slab and get the graders notes on the book. This will tell you all the defects.

Did that but don’t know what that means in terms of cgc’s grading. Couldn’t find the definitions for cgc when I searched online either, just the numerical values but no breakdown of what those mean.

5C0149BF-2B12-4C3E-99CC-2CCDC6C0DE90.jpeg

There is no mention of water damage so I guess we can be sure that its glare we are seeing. I can see that small stain mentioned up top. From these notes there's not a whole lot of defects. Its probably going to boil down to that stain and how the grader interprets it. You may get about the same grade but its really hard to guarantee what the book will come back as from another company. Even resubmitting the same book to the same company can net a different result. Maybe tell us what the grade assigned is and some of the "defect experts" can tell you if it would possibly grade the same thru CGC.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, rogue14 said:

Would pressing a book of this age cause damage to the book or a signature?

That's the thing about pressing---you never really know what the end result will be. But, generally speaking, a book from this era (1974) is probably a pretty good candidate. And I'm not sure how a signed book would react to pressing, but something tells me it may not be a great idea...  

On 7/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, rogue14 said:

Would pressing a book of this age cause damage to the book or a signature?

I had a 9.4 IM55 Stan Lee SS pressed just recently (Came back a 9.6) and there were no issues.  Just make sure you have the right person do the job as well as someone who's authorized to CPR SS books.  

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I had a 9.4 IM55 Stan Lee SS pressed just recently (Came back a 9.6) and there were no issues.  Just make sure you have the right person do the job as well as someone who's authorized to CPR SS books.  

I’ve got a facilitator helping me out with this. Fingers crossed all turns out well.