• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Community Issues - Input Solicited

299 posts in this topic

Hey mark,

How about a little segment called:

"Is this Pressable?"

You could have multiple books with pressable defects & educate collectors as to what type of defects pressing can actually remove. I would suggest you ask FFB if you could borrow a few of his slabs with SCS to use as examples. poke2.gif

It may also help to dispell the belief that "every book is pressable", and would allow collectors to understand the process better.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif Pressing, pressing, pressing....

There are many other issues to discuss. Out of a 90-minute panel which includes 30 minutes of Q&A I can only hope that no more than 5-10 minutes are used to cover this subject.

Everyone will have to attend to find out! gossip.gifyeahok.gif

Now that things are a bit quieter there are a few topics I would like to see touched upon. I am ignoring restoration overall because that would require a dedicated restoration panel of some duration.

1) How would the panelists define a "file copy" versus a "warehouse find". I ask this because of the current trend of using "file copy" to apply to what actually are warehouse finds. I feel the two are distinctly different.

2) What is the preferred light source for judging paper color (wattage, color temperature, distance etc). As we all know, different types of lighting can produce different visual results.

3) Do Pedigrees currently require the collection to be a single-owner collection of books purchased at the time of publication?

4) Discuss the ethics of unslabbing a graded book and selling as a higher grade if the higher grade appears warranted by the seller.

5) General thoughts on the use and usability of the Overstreet Price Guide in the current market, where we often see either considerably more than guide or considerably less than guide being paid for many books.

6) Are pre-code horror books overpriced? wink.gif

I like them all Pov. I'll do my best to address one or more of the questions. If I can't get to some of them due to time, please do not hesitate to bring them up (or anyone for that matter) during the Q & A.

What did you guys think of the title? I'm a funny bast-d sometimes! insane.gif

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues—This panel discussion of experienced dealers, collectors, and industry experts will engage in a dialogue on the key issues facing the comic book collecting community today. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics, the existence of ethics in the community, the stigma of restoration, the controversy of pressing, the impact and role of independent grading services, and other matters of concern. The discussion will be followed by a 30-minute Q & A audience participation session. Panelists include Mark S. Zaid, EsquireComics.com; Steve Borock, president/primary grader, CGC; Jon Berk, Overstreet advisor, past president of American Association of Comicbook Collectors; Mark Wilson, PGCMint Comics; Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing managing editor; and others.

I saw this in the programming schedule on the the Comic-Con web site this morning. I think the title is in somewhat poor taste, but I'm looking forward to the panel.

I saw this in the programming schedule on the the Comic-Con web site this morning. I think the title is in somewhat poor taste, but I'm looking forward to the panel.

tonofbricks.gifboo.gif

I thought it was a nice play of words.

Ok:

Mark's humor scale: -1

sounds great. Hey - - can Vinnie use the panel as one of his radio shows?? Id love to be there to hear it!

Interesting idea. At the very least, perhaps Vinne can interview some of the panel members before or afterwards. Feel free to suggest it to him.

What did you guys think of the title? I'm a sneaky bast-d sometimes! insane.gif

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues

I sure enough would like to talk about them there funny-books, I recon.

- Sgt. York

thumbsup2.gif

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues—This panel discussion of experienced dealers, collectors, and industry experts will engage in a dialogue on the key issues facing the comic book collecting community today. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics, the existence of ethics in the community, the stigma of restoration, the controversy of pressing, the impact and role of independent grading services, and other matters of concern. The discussion will be followed by a 30-minute Q & A audience participation session. Panelists include Mark S. Zaid, EsquireComics.com; Steve Borock, president/primary grader, CGC; Jon Berk, Overstreet advisor, past president of American Association of Comicbook Collectors; Mark Wilson, PGCMint Comics; Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing managing editor; and others.

Don't you mean "the existence of ethical standards in the community"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't you mean "the existence of ethical standards in the community"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whoops. You would be correct. I'll see if I can get it fixed.

flowerred.gif

I thought "ethics" ARE the standards that define conduct? Or is this some legalese?

Either way I think was correct, but grammatically speaking (as much as I hate to admit it poke2.gif) I think FFB's version is better. I had it corrected, or at least it will be.

Well, "ethical" (as related to a profession) is defined as:

Being in accordance with the accepted principles of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession.

while "ethics" (as related to a profession) is defined as:

The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession

They seem almost identical to me, although, to be honest, "ethical standard" seems it could possiblt be a titch redundant, since the definition incorporates the concept of "accepted principals", hwich may further be interpreted as a standard..

See? Now you know what Scott means sometimes about how we can argue a thing to Helen Back. It is my lawyer-wannabe coming out. Back in high school I wanted to be a lawyer simply because I loved a good argument and reasoning things out. But lack of money and discipline prevented me from going to college at all. Such is fate and life and karma is karma and this is but a sparrow's tear in the ocean.

Either way I think was correct, but grammatically speaking (as much as I hate to admit it poke2.gif) I think FFB's version is better. I had it corrected, or at least it will be.

Right. Ethics has more than one meaning, hence the way you had it the first time was ambiguous. "Ethical standards" is clearer.

Nice try, Pov. poke2.gif

Ok, I admit it. I just wanted to make Scott feel a little better since we trounce on him all the time.

Pov, you ruined his July 4th present! makepoint.gif

hi.gif

yeahok.gif

waffles.jpg