• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Community Issues - Input Solicited

299 posts in this topic

Either way I think was correct, but grammatically speaking (as much as I hate to admit it poke2.gif) I think FFB's version is better. I had it corrected, or at least it will be.

Right. Ethics has more than one meaning, hence the way you had it the first time was ambiguous. "Ethical standards" is clearer.

Nice try, Pov. poke2.gif

Ahhh go fin an insplititive! tongue.gif

What did you guys think of the title? I'm a funny bast-d sometimes! insane.gif

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues—This panel discussion of experienced dealers, collectors, and industry experts will engage in a dialogue on the key issues facing the comic book collecting community today. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics, the existence of ethics in the community, the stigma of restoration, the controversy of pressing, the impact and role of independent grading services, and other matters of concern. The discussion will be followed by a 30-minute Q & A audience participation session. Panelists include Mark S. Zaid, EsquireComics.com; Steve Borock, president/primary grader, CGC; Jon Berk, Overstreet advisor, past president of American Association of Comicbook Collectors; Mark Wilson, PGCMint Comics; Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing managing editor; and others.

Don't you mean "the existence of ethical standards in the community"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whoops. You would be correct. I'll see if I can get it fixed.

Mark-

I think both titles are just awful. Why not just "The state of the collecting community(or hobby) and it's future" or something that explains what the panel will encompass, instead of just a small part of it?

Mark-

I think both titles are just awful. Why not just "The state of the collecting community(or hobby) and it's future" or something that explains what the panel will encompass, instead of just a small part of it?

I think Mark's title was just a play on words for the sake of the Forum guys here. No one else will get the "in-joke". Take out the other conotations of the word "pressing" and it still makes sense. It could have just as easily read "Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Important Issues" and it would have meant the same thing. But using the word "pressing" was just for us. Kind of like saying "hi.gif guys". Am I right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Mark-

I think Mark's title was just a play on words for the sake of the Forum guys here. No one else will get the "in-joke". Take out the other conototions of the word "pressing" and it still makes sense. It could have just as easily read "Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Important Issues" and it would have meant the same thing. But using the word "pressing" was just for us. Kind of like saying "hi.gif guys". Am I right? confused-smiley-013.gif

I know, but changing it to the ethical one is even worse........

Mark-

I think Mark's title was just a play on words for the sake of the Forum guys here. No one else will get the "in-joke". Take out the other conototions of the word "pressing" and it still makes sense. It could have just as easily read "Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Important Issues" and it would have meant the same thing. But using the word "pressing" was just for us. Kind of like saying "hi.gif guys". Am I right? confused-smiley-013.gif

Steve, you're not honestly going to take the position that our community is completely ethical, are you?

I think the description very aptly sets forth some of the specific issues that will be discussed, as well as the general scope of the topics.

Panel participants (as of July 5, 2005)

Mark S. Zaid - EsquireComics.com

Steve Borock - CGC

Jon Berk - collector all powerful

Mark Wilson - PGCMint

Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing Managing Editor

NEW- Maggie Thompson, Publisher, Comic Buyers Guide

This is likely the final list of panelists, but you never know. Perhaps there will be a surprise entry. devil.gif

Mark-

Steve, you're not honestly going to take the position that our community is completely ethical, are you?

I think the description very aptly sets forth some of the specific issues that will be discussed, as well as the general scope of the topics.

I do not believe that ANY community is "completely ethical" but you told me/us the purpose of this panel/discussion would be a wide range of topics, not just ethics, and the title suggets otherwise. Please read your first post and many of the suggested topics that you asked for. I, and I hope the other people on the panel, would appreciate a change.

I do not believe that ANY community is "completely ethical" but you told me/us the purpose of this panel/discussion would be a wide range of topics, not just ethics, and the title suggets otherwise. Please read your first post and many of the suggested topics that you asked for. I, and I hope the other people on the panel, would appreciate a change.

With all due respect Steve, it is I who suggests to you that you re-read my posts. I haven't changed my tune about one darn thing. That title is the most innocuous title that could be. It cannot be reasonably interpreted to refer to any specific topic, except for the light-hearted inside joke I used with the word "pressing", which, as was stated above, no one outside of these boards will even recognize and does not change the meaning in the slightest.

My initial post stated: For example, we will cover such topics as third-party grading, restoration, pressing, pricing, marketability, future of the hobby, seller ethics, etc.

The published description states:

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues—This panel discussion of experienced dealers, collectors, and industry experts will engage in a dialogue on the key issues facing the comic book collecting community today. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics, the existence of ethics in the community, the stigma of restoration, the controversy of pressing, the impact and role of independent grading services, and other matters of concern.

Please do me the honor of highlighting what within this description you feel is any different from what I originally said on these boards, or in e-mails to you. Feel free to post my e-mails if you wish.

If you are looking for an excuse to step down from the panel, my good friend, then simply publicly do so of your cognizance. Don't look to something I have said or done as an excuse because you won't find anything worthy.

I have been, and will continue to be, completely upfront and straightforward about what this panel will cover and how it will be run. There are no hidden agendas. In fact, it may be that I have the minority opinion on a number of issues, which is fine by me. I relish debate. I thought you did as well. Perhaps I was mistaken. poke2.gif

How about:

COLLECTING COMICS: TODAY, TOMORROW & YESTERDAY confused-smiley-013.gif

I like that........ thumbsup2.gif

Maybe I'll use that for an editorial instead. It would allow me to seperate the wide array of issues into 3 broader groups, then explain the connection between all 3 in my summary. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After reading through this thread and other related threads on the subjects of pressing and ethics, I can understand how Steve may have gotten the impression that this panel was going to focus on those two areas and be used as an excuse by some people (maybe in the audience even) to put CGC on the hotspot by bringing up what some people may believe to be conflicts of interest.

Personally I would trust Mark to run the panel in a way that does NOT emulate the sentiment (one-track mind) of this Forum and these two topics as he has stated several times previously. I believe that this Forum is biased (more or less as a whole, not individually) into a certain way of thinking and acting, but I believe the "real world" is far from that. There are many more important issues (in my mind) to discuss than what has been focused on here, and from what I have read so far about the actual panel description, it looks like we'll have a well rounded discussion, or at least I hope so. The idea of spending more than a few minutes on pressing makes me cringe, and I don't believe the majority of the audience (that's everyone but us) is going to want to dwell on that issue either.

I think the panel description does a good job of stating many different areas of discussion, why is it that we can just only focus on one or two aspects of it here? Again, it goes back to the collective one-track mind thing. foreheadslap.gif

Panel participants (as of July 5, 2005)

Mark S. Zaid - EsquireComics.com

Steve Borock - CGC

Jon Berk - collector all powerful

Mark Wilson - PGCMint

Tom Gordon III, Gemstone Publishing Managing Editor

NEW- Maggie Thompson, Publisher, Comic Buyers Guide

This is likely the final list of panelists, but you never know. Perhaps there will be a surprise entry. devil.gif

Maggie Thompson??? Are you going to have enough time to stroll down memory lane and discuss her family, her collections of radio serials, etc? Maggie great and been a collector/professional for 40 years now, but I dont see how she fits in with the purpose of the Panel Discusion you planned.

Maggie Thompson??? Are you going to have enough time to stroll down memory lane and discuss her family, her collections of radio serials, etc? Maggie great and been a collector/professional for 40 years now, but I dont see how she fits in with the purpose of the Panel Discusion you planned.

She was suggested by both the organizer of the Comic-Con and Steve Borock. Indeed, Steve talked to her personally to have her join the panel.

Remember this panel discusses the future of the community. As with history, you cannot intelligently discuss the future without understanding and knowing the past. Maggie has an extensive history in the field of comics and clearly plays a significant role in the present, and no doubt the future as well.

In any event, not everyone needs to be in a position, nor will be called upon, to offer an opinion on each topic raised during the panel discussion.

How about:

COLLECTING COMICS: TODAY, TOMORROW & YESTERDAY

Or: I should have bought my collection yesterday and sold it today but I'm greedy and holding out until tomorrow.

It's better than my suggested writeup which was as follows:

4:00-5:30 Hold the presses- I mean pressers. —This panel discussion of unscrupulous dealers, unscrupulous collectors, and industry hanger on's will engage in a dialogue on the key issues they are trying to steal from each other. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics (but not both) , the lack of ethics in the community (no one has a monopoly), the dreaded purple label, the controversy of pressing for fun and profit, the impact and role of independent grading services (or why I no longer can sell raw books without buyers suspecting restoration). The discussion will be followed by a 30-minute Test to see if anyone has paid attention. There will be an audience participation session if time permits after the one and one half hour discussion on pressing. Panelists include whoever shows up on time.

IN all seriousness I am only sorry that I won't be in attendance as I'm sure the session will be informative for everyone who attends. I hope the minutes are posted on this board for all who failed to attend. Good luck all.

How about:

COLLECTING COMICS: TODAY, TOMORROW & YESTERDAY

Or: I should have bought my collection yesterday and sold it today but I'm greedy and holding out until tomorrow.

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.... gossip.gif

Stop arguing semantics Steve...

Mark has said, repeatedly, the panel would be discussing a wide range of topics affecting the hobby. This hasn't changed. The title is fine and ethical standards are a definite part of this hobby that needs to be discussed. I think you're looking too closely for something to disagree with. Tell me you aren't setting the stage to bail on the panel as I suspected a month ago...not being there would be a topic for sure...

Regardless, I don't see the problem if both pressing and ethics are discussed...as long as your position is clear there should be nothing to worry about. Personally I believe your company needs to get out in front of comicdom as I think you've been listening to the sycophants and self serving collectors a tad too much...

Jim

With all due respect Steve, it is I who suggests to you that you re-read my posts. I haven't changed my tune about one darn thing. That title is the most innocuous title that could be. It cannot be reasonably interpreted to refer to any specific topic, except for the light-hearted inside joke I used with the word "pressing", which, as was stated above, no one outside of these boards will even recognize and does not change the meaning in the slightest.

My initial post stated: For example, we will cover such topics as third-party grading, restoration, pressing, pricing, marketability, future of the hobby, seller ethics, etc.

The published description states:

4:00-5:30 Comic Collecting & the 21st Century: A Dialogue of Pressing Issues—This panel discussion of experienced dealers, collectors, and industry experts will engage in a dialogue on the key issues facing the comic book collecting community today. Some of the topics to be debated include the current state of collecting or investing in comics, the existence of ethical standards in the community, the stigma of restoration, the controversy of pressing, the impact and role of independent grading services, and other matters of concern.

From reading the last few pages of this thread, it looks like Steve misinterpreted the "ethical" discussion to be pertaining to the title (rather than the description) of the panel. As for the title, I laughed when I first saw it. It's a nice double entendre for those who read these boards, and an ok title overall.

Somebody please ensure that the panel is recorded for those who can't be there!