• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Community Issues - Input Solicited

299 posts in this topic

FFB specifically gave me permission to start a new thread on this topic in the General section even though I already posted one in the Comic Events section. So if anyone is annoyed by this, talk to my lawyer! makepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

news.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gifnews.gif

Unless plans change, I will be hosting/moderating a panel discussion at the San Diego Comic-Con on Friday, July 15, 2005, from 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm. I still haven't decided on final format or named the participants, but it will be designed for discussion purposes of all the controversial and non-controversial topics that dominate our collecting/investment hobby today.

For example, we will cover such topics as third-party grading, restoration, pressing, pricing, marketability, future of the hobby, seller ethics, etc. I envision 5-8 participants in a professional round-table forum discussion debating these and other topics for one hour. Then the audience will have an opportunity to join in for an additional 30 minutes.

Steve Borock has already graciously accepted my invitation to participate.

I turn to you, the comic community, for input. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions for my consideration.

(1) What topics/questions would you like to see discussed?

(2) What individuals or representatives of a particular population segment (i.e., publisher, dealer, collector, restorer, etc) would you like to see sit on the panel?

I hope to see you at the discussion, and to meet you all. If you wish to raise a suggestion with me confidentiality, please do not hesitate to PM or e-mail me.

The following panel members would be interesting:

Borock

Matt Nelson and/or Susan Cicconi - to speak to restoration topics

Chris Freisen - to speak to his new service because you know it's going to come up and no one else seems willing to talk about it

Chuck Rozanski - Biggest Comics Internet dealer on the planet. Great to have him on to speak to the changing buying habits of collectors.

Jason Ewert - One of the most successful eBay dealers. Can tell us where he gets those gems.

Brian Hibbs or another prominent brick and mortar dealer - to speak to back issue topics from a brick and morat perspective.

John Petty or someone else who can speak for Heritage - to speak to back issues from a auction house format

That's all for now...I'll probably add/delete others as I think of them...

First EDIT: Add EBay rep - to speak about the site in general but specifically focus on the procedures and actions targeting scam auctions. Seems as if this is becoming a bigger problem.

Jim

Hammer-Marnin-Steve B.-in a cage.

Three men enter,one comes out!!!!!!!!!

Seriously,though;

A wide ranging panel will more than likely be less productive than a more focused one.Having five speakers,plus a moderator, discuss five issues ends up with each speaker having roughly three minutes per subject.With no time for rebuttals.

As far as Riesen goes,it would easily take fifteen minutes just for him to explain his new service,and the walls of seperation that exist between his company and CGC.

The following panel members would be interesting:

Borock

Matt Nelson and/or Susan Cicconi - to speak to restoration topics

Chris Freisen - to speak to his new service because you know it's going to come up and no one else seems willing to talk about it

Chuck Rozanski - Biggest Comics Internet dealer on the planet. Great to have him on to speak to the changing buying habits of collectors.

Jason Ewert - One of the most successful eBay dealers. Can tell us where he gets those gems.

Brian Hibbs or another prominent brick and mortar dealer - to speak to back issue topics from a brick and morat perspective.

John Petty or someone else who can speak for Heritage - to speak to back issues from a auction house format

That's all for now...I'll probably add/delete others as I think of them...

First EDIT: Add EBay rep - to speak about the site in general but specifically focus on the procedures and actions targeting scam auctions. Seems as if this is becoming a bigger problem.

Jim

Whoops, saw the other one first Jim! I take back the poke2.gif

There is no such thing as a "collector" anymore. They are all "DEALERS" in disguise.

The minute somebody posts a WTB in the comic book marketplace those "collectors" are in there faster than any true dealer could respond.

Fly me out, and I'll sit on your damn panel.....you need the average collector represented!

thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I would like - and I am seriously considering - having a collector on the panel.

shy.gif

Dealer

Copied from a FFB post in the Golden State Convention post

Jason, Jeff, Jim, and I went back to my place to divvy up a collection that we had recently purchased. Liz helped us put backboards into comic bags, and then it was getting late so we went to bed. Jim went home soon thereafter, but Jason and Jeff couldn't wait to divvy up the lots and stayed up early into the next morning breaking out the books.

Dealer

Copied from a FFB post in the Golden State Convention post

Jason, Jeff, Jim, and I went back to my place to divvy up a collection that we had recently purchased. Liz helped us put backboards into comic bags, and then it was getting late so we went to bed. Jim went home soon thereafter, but Jason and Jeff couldn't wait to divvy up the lots and stayed up early into the next morning breaking out the books.

Make sure your picket sign at the Con is big enough to read from 100 yards away because I'm afraid you might not get your message out there if it isn't. There will be a lot going on there and unless you have a big picket sign, you'll probably just blend in with the general chaos of the event.

What about "divvy up a collection that we had recently purchased" makes me think this is collecting?

As somebody posted about someone else on the board

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

Being a dealer is nothing to be ashamed of. However, as someone else pointed out to me in a post. You can't have it both ways.

If you buy and sell books you are "dealing". If you setup at a show with a booth you are a dealer. If you buy collections you are a dealer.

Red, with no offense intended. Having a "average collector" on the panel is a stupid idea. What does the "average collector" know about pressing, pressed books, or pressing procedures? Nothing.

Just look at the boards here, we can't even come to a consensus of whether pressing is negative or not. Some people don't mind, and others are strongly against. Some want it disclosed, while others don't care.

I would rather have experts give their opinions than hear some droll fanboy collector tell me what he thinks.

I consider myself an average collector...but then again, I don't know what an average collector can add to the conversation other than their own biases...

Get a bunch of collectors together and maybe you can get to the heart of some matters...

Jim

Red, with no offense intended. Having a "average collector" on the panel is a stupid idea.

Agreed...and we would have to define average collector anyway. Any one member wouldn't represent all collectors. You need to cross section to do that and this panel doesn't look like the proper fit. I suspect any one person representing the average collector would end up looking foolish...

Jim

I have some "collectors" in mind but I'm not sure they going to San Diego.

Why type of collector are you looking for Mark? Are you looking for a "friendly" or a "hostile" representation? The guy spending $100K on a Golden Age book? The guy buying a CGC 9.6 Silver/Bronze age book? The guy who has already found out his 9.4 was a 9.0?

uh, waitaminute Bob, I sell books off from my collection and I don't consider myself a dealer. I rarely buy a book just for the sake of profit (and have gotten totally out of it now). I'm not sure how I could possibly qualify as a "dealer" just because you've sold a comic book in your life. Dealer denotes that you have a business, not just the fact that you have sold books. It indicates an established business of some sorts. Just because you are a collector and have a sold a book in your life does NOT make you a dealer.

What about "divvy up a collection that we had recently purchased" makes me think this is collecting?

As somebody posted about someone else on the board

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

Being a dealer is nothing to be ashamed of. However, as someone else pointed out to me in a post. You can't have it both ways.

If you buy and sell books you are "dealing". If you setup at a show with a booth you are a dealer. If you buy collections you are a dealer.