• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great Dust Jackets by Golden Age artists- 2nd of a series

8 posts in this topic

In my Bibliophilic world, I occasionally come across wonderful Dust Jackets drawn by great Comic Artists of old

For any who don't know the title, can anyone guess who drew this? (I'll reveal after guesses)

This, on the surface, is a Hard one to guess...but once the artist is revealed, it'll be like "of COURSE it was..!"

:wishluck:

Roth sigcut.jpg

nope; nice guess though; I like the way you think! :-)

certain 'schools'...Robinson, Chesler 'school',etc., have marked similarities as the pros taught the kids how to draw.

but NOT Robinson here

If after a day no correct guess I will reveal.

Cool cover, no? Not totally minimalistic, but certainly expressionistic!

Drumroll...

its Charles BIRO

note the updated pic below, where I now reveal his iconic signature that was previously cropped

Now go back and look at all his classic CDNP covers for issues '20s thru '40s

Same approach-a single striking focal point figure, simple background, although in the book world its the implication of impending crime, vs. the in-your-face approach of the comics

Still...classic BIRO

Gotta Love it!

You folks want more...or should I stop here?

s-l1600.jpg

7/6 eve

Hi everyone

I've completed combing the 2 threads into one now :-)

Its now a SINGLE thread entitled 'Great Book Dust Jacket Art by Golden Age Comic Book Artists'

It starts with the 1st entry of a few days ago [The Manchurian Candidate-Krigstein]

It continues with yesterday's entry ['The Sleeper'-Charles Biro]

As a heads 'up, tomorrow's entry will be different, in that entries 1 and 2 were artists well known in the COMIC BOOK world, but close to unknown in the BOOK world

Tomorrow's will be the very converse of that

Bring on your finely tuned acumen in your guesses! :-

ericjmz