• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Book and Rusty Staples

2 posts in this topic

Rusty Staples are usually a deal breaker for me (along with tape) - however, I am a silver age collector, so most books are easily obtained without these defects.  I am looking to buy my first Golden Age book and the staples show some minor rust on them, it does not look like there is any migration to the cover - however it is slabbed already so cannot tell if there is any at the centrefold.  Usually I would pass - but it is tough to come by in low-grade ... in fact first copy I have seen in a couple of years in this grade.

My questions are:

(1) Will the staples continue to rust while in the slab (assuming the book is stored at room temp with "normal" humidity levels) and/or does the fact that there is rust already lead to a greater chance more rust will develop?  (I cannot help but think of a rusting car that just gets eaten alive)

(2) Does any have books they bought with minor rust on the staples that has/has not progressed?

Cheers