• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Thoughts On My CGC Wall Display

26 posts in this topic

I have a Detective 27 Famous First Edition inner cover framed and hanging in my living room where it is NOT receiving direct sunlight. Yet the red area behind the title is so faded after ten years that it looks awful. I don’t display anything of value or importance.

13 hours ago, Triton said:
On 7/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, shadroch said:

How are the j hooks secured?

On the back of each piece, there are two pre-made slots that I secure them with push pins into the wall.  

I would be concerned with the method of mounting here-- push pins have no threads like a screw would-- and the weight of the slabs will over time vibrate enough to start pulling them loose imo. If you don't want these slabs to fall, I would suggest improved the attachment method, perhaps to drywall anchors.

Maybe I am being overly cautious. But if just one falls-- you will really be kicking yourself I fear. And just one person slamming a nearby door can make a wall shake violently. Hope I am either wrong or that you rethink the use of push pins.

17 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

I have a Detective 27 Famous First Edition inner cover framed and hanging in my living room where it is NOT receiving direct sunlight. Yet the red area behind the title is so faded after ten years that it looks awful. I don’t display anything of value or importance.

Agree, and I would prefer to display/cheaply frame a color photocopy of any given book. This works very well for raws; maybe a bit less so with slabs.

What's more, make not one, make three color copies of book "X" -- swap in the new copies kept in a dark file, should the original copy begin to appreciably fade. And all the while, keep your nice original book under dark wraps (when you aren't actively looking at it!)

Edited by originalisbest
Add some ideas