• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forgotten Time Capsule

10 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, DC|Marvel said:

Can't recall exact year; 1982 perhaps. In grammar school we did a time capsule activity. Premise someone that did not experience the time period, what would it look like? What would you save to tell a story? So each student in my class picked something. We placed the significant items in a giant tin box and buried it in the ground.

So naturally I started making my own "time capsules" by placing my coveted items in boxes and taping them up. But over the years either forgot about said time capsules or entirely forgetting where I saved them :cry:  ( I am still looking for my comics and non-sports trading cards capsules)

But :bump:-->cliff notes I just today found my comic/book record themed capsule!! These are the actual books/records I read/listened to as a kid in the mid/late 70's. Perhaps some of you out there experienced the same. Cheers.

supes.jpg

bat1.jpg

bat2.jpg

hulk.jpg

hulk2.jpg

hulkfront.jpg

hulkback.jpg

star trek1.jpg

6million.jpg

man-thing.jpg

escape.jpg

sw.jpg

esb.jpg

werewolf.jpg

They would have been very hard to give up as a kid for me.. loved them. 

Great items! (thumbsu

We're they underground? 

Or in some such fashion?

I actually owned a metal detector at some point, would I have been able to uncover something? Give me Hope!

I found a unused unopened condom tin from the 1930's and I returned my metal detector to the store for a full refund :)

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We're they underground? 

Or in some such fashion?

I actually owned a metal detector at some point, would I have been able to uncover something? Give me Hope!

I found a unused unopened condom tin from the 1930's and I returned my metal detector to the store for a full refund :)

My dad holds on to things; actually every thing. In our original home/basement he built tons of wood shelving all over the place along with converting some unused space we had between an unfinished and finished room he completed. So those were the drop points for my "capsules"  But when you have so many boxes that just keep piling on and than add in a move or two, you just lose sight. Plus in the mid to late 80's I went through a big migration away from this space and video gaming. Then got back in during the independent label runs and Sega 32 bit revolution. Been collecting ever since. 

David Morell (Rambo) wrote a fascinating fiction book around the idea of time capsules.  Apparently most time capsules get lost.  The most famous is the MASH time capsule which was hidden at the end of the TV show.  There was another time capsule that was found when an old school got demolished-they were very excited about what may be in it and planned a big ceremony.  The time capsule was stolen overnight, however, and no one knows what was in it.  The largest time capsule is the crypt of civilization, to be opened in the year 8113.  You can see a list of the contents:
https://crypt.oglethorpe.edu/inventory/

Edited by kav

13 hours ago, kav said:

David Morell (Rambo) wrote a fascinating fiction book around the idea of time capsules.  Apparently most time capsules get lost.  The most famous is the MASH time capsule which was hidden at the end of the TV show.  There was another time capsule that was found when an old school got demolished-they were very excited about what may be in it and planned a big ceremony.  The time capsule was stolen overnight, however, and no one knows what was in it.  The largest time capsule is the crypt of civilization, to be opened in the year 8113.  You can see a list of the contents:
https://crypt.oglethorpe.edu/inventory/

That stuff is already antiquated....and they have some sort of tobacco paraphernalia every 10 items. I wouldn't be surprised if tobacco wasn't the first on the list in the seed inventory. 

8 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

That stuff is already antiquated....and they have some sort of tobacco paraphernalia every 10 items. I wouldn't be surprised if tobacco wasn't the first on the list in the seed inventory. 

They could have added a copy of Action #1-but they didnt.

52 minutes ago, kav said:

They could have added a copy of Action #1-but they didnt.

They probably would have added some Dell Westerns instead but thought twice and considered them "too valuable".:insane: After all, they wanted to make sure looters didn't break into the time capsule.