• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying original art do you guys slab it

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

I don't slab my art, as I don't know that you can slab 11" x 17" pieces. If you fold (NOT cut) the art twice over into a smaller square, then it would be acceptable to slab.

I prefer to get a COA with all my art purchases, because those are the only way to be sure. Even though I buy most of my art straight from the artists, I still don't trust them. So they'll send me a COA, and I'll staple it to the middle of the art so it's good and visible.

:baiting:

I don't trust COAs. That's why I always pay extra for artists to sign in their own blood. DNA authentication is the wave of the future. O.o

I'm definitely not the type of person this question was probably catered for...err...on the account that I literally only have 2 (soon to be 3!!) pieces of OA :tonofbricks:, but here's my response anyways.  Sketch covers I get witnessed, authenticated, and slabbed.  Original art on art paper is custom framed, matted, and behind museum glass.  I don't have the money to buy the key original interior pages I want (unless the owner of Infinity #4, the Thor/Builder pages is generous enough to part ways on the cheap :ohnoez:), but if I did have a few, those would also get the custom frame/matte/museum glass treatment.  I bought it as art to be seen and appreciated.  Heck, if I could get UV protected plastic for my slabs, I'd do that just so I could have the books out in the open without fear of fading.

I realize many of you have multiple pieces that just makes framing not possible financially, but I thought I'd provide the perspective of a minnow amongst this vast sea of OA collectors that the rest of you are.  2c

12 hours ago, The Voord said:

Maybe the service would be useful for some of Steve Donnelly's dodgy offerings?  :gossip:

everything they've ever touched would get a PURPLE LABEL OF DEATH, and the thing you paid 3x market for would be WORTHLESS...

The only "slabbed" art I usually pay attention to, is the art collectors say they'll be buried with. The ultimate slab!
And in truth, that art is often for sale in a couple years. Hah...

Joking aside, I don't think I'd ever buy art I wasn't so familiar with that I couldn't authenticate it with my own eyes. It's that simple.

I've said it here at least a dozen times in the past, but every artist is unique. They work a certain way, with certain techniques, and tools, and materials. There is no way a "grader" could be an expert on the hundreds (thousands) of comic artists work that would come across their desk every year as a grading company. Jack of all trades, master of none. It's why so far, they really only do work that they witness, and that excludes all production work for a start. There is a reason for this.

A fan of a particular artist who truly pays attention to their artwork will have a clear idea of what that artist has drawn, and what looks hinkey. Art fans tend to specialize and have favorites. And even when they are picking up work outside of their sphere of knowledge, they've built up a base of knowledgeable friends and acquaintances they can ask about it. I mean, we all started somewhere, when getting into OA. We get it! And the guys who usually ask about grading are pretty much to a man, beginners. People looking for a shortcut to assurance that what they are buying is legit. It's totally understandable.

It's just dangerous to go into any hobby, and throw around a lot of cash without having at least done some research. In this case, it's looking at art. Looking at scans of art. Meeting the artists whenever possible, and looking at their originals. Looking at as many as possible. Get to know who else in the hobby shares an interest in those artists and follow their CAF galleries. Check out the scans on Heritage and the other auction sites. Pay attention to what sells, and how. SO on and so forth. And as much as possible, do all of this without necessarily buying things. Not because they may not be authentic, but because you may or may not yet know what you are really into. I fell like this often changes as we go, and in some part, there's no avoiding this step. But the longer you research, and save the money you might otherwise blow on "lesser" pieces, or just plain junk, the more money you will have when something appears in your path that goes beyond just looking cool, and fun to have on the wall.

And it's why I strongly encourage folks just getting their toes wet to utilize this board, or any other dedicated public social media groups to ask questions as they go. The longer someone has been in the hobby, the more they've seen the same questions asked over and time again. A few are snarky or salty about it. I confess, the grading thing usually illicits a groan from me. But at the end of the day, if it's an authentication worry, chances are people here will point you the right way or can point you to someone who will.

When I started out, I was lucky. So lucky. I did a lot of the "wrong" things, and I learned some lessons that cost me cash and caused me much stress. BUT it was at a time when art was relatively cheap. The art I wanted was available, and I learned on pages mostly in the $50-200 range. But this was 1992. And unless you are mostly collecting modern art, and even then, from lesser known books, you can whiff those kinds of prices these days. So folks learning now really art working with a much steeper curve. And you will make mistakes along the way. But a grading service just won't work because it's simply impractical.

Do yourself the favor and do the legwork. There's a lot less of it these days, with the resources of the internet, comic shows all over the country pretty much every weekend somewhere, and not having to walk uphill in a blizzard every day while working 2 jobs after school.  ;) 

Just ask around, when you have a question. Approach someone on CAF that has work by the artist you like. Strike up a general conversation. Don't just start off with "sell me your NFS art", but express your shared interest in that artist. Ask them questions about that artist's originals. Some folks might be skittish, or unresponsive. Others are going to be SO happy to get to talk about someone who's work they love, because their coworkers, Significant Other, family, and that one really annoying guy who works on his Harley at all hours and scowls at you from across the street just don't get it.  But you might just make a new lifelong friend, and art resource.

My .12¢

Edited by ESeffinga

.... well either all that, or just get one of those 3rd Party DC Authenticators to make you a typo filled COA on their inkjet printer, with a skewed SDCC logo slapped on the bottom. And don't worry. If you loose the original, DC will get one overnighted to you to replace it, no questions asked. Because that's how much they trust that 3rd Party Authenticator.

Edited by ESeffinga

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I've said it here at least a dozen times in the past, but every artist is unique. They work a certain way, with certain techniques, and tools, and materials. There is no way a "grader" could be an expert on the hundreds (thousands) of comic artists work that would come across their desk every year as a grading company. Jack of all trades, master of none. It's why so far, they really only do work that they witness, and that excludes all production work for a start. There is a reason for this.

This . . . which is an observation I've made myself in the past but one that needs mentioning again every time this topic re-surfaces.

Edited by The Voord