• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man #55.. A Robert Kirkman story?

9 posts in this topic

Not sure if I'm in the right place for this one, so my apologies in advance if I'm not!

3 or 4 years ago I picked up a CGC 9.4 copy at my annual FanExpo event here in Toronto. Paid about $1200CAD for it or so the price wasn't an issue. Some how I've had this book a few years now, even looked at it a bunch of times and I never noticed that the label is waaaaay off on it's description. So.. I know I can't trust the label description but hoping the grade still stands true. And I'm curious now, does an error like this add any actual value to the book? Or is this something I should be looking at getting corrected next time I see a CGC rep this August?

And assuming I can get this fixed (free of charge), would the book under-go new appraisal processing? Meaning if I want the proper label could I potentially lose the grade and page quality grade for something like this? Might not be worth the risk if that's the case. I've seen a few label errors in my days but this one seems a little more odd than the ones I've come across.

20180407_234450.jpg

This book was graded 6 years ago. It's amazing that nobody noticed it. You probably could have negotiated a discount from the dealer when you bought it. That being said, I would think CGC will fix it for free but the shipping may be on you. Unless the book has sustained damage in the slab, the grade should be maintained. I think it's pretty cool, as is, and would leave it alone but it's your call. I do not think the label error adds any value. Bear in mind the new slabs are vulnerable to Newton Rings. It would be a shame if you got it back and didn't like the look. 

Like Bob said, as long as there's no damage since it was graded, I would think the grade would be correct since the name and issue number are fairly close -- tells me it was probably just a data entry error as opposed to getting an Alf 48 label where it could be the wrong label in with the book. Looks great, though. Tough to find that book with a wrap that nice!

8 hours ago, PeterPark said:

They confused invincible 55 with invincible iron man 55 doh!

Or did they? What does the seam of the case look like, it would suck if someone switched the label. I'm not saying it has been switched but I am from the NY area so my radar is on. The book from the photo does look like a 9.4 or better too.