• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battle Action Force

6 posts in this topic

Having owned a bunch of these UK mags for many years, and possessing only the loosest understanding of their connection with the Action Force & GI Joe comics produced in the UK & America respectively, I thought I’d do a bit of research and find out a little more about them; the following page was pretty useful:

link

Considering the popularity of GI Joe books in the US I wonder how many collectors realised that this mag was even being produced in the UK & contains early (possible earliest?) appearances of many well established characters as well as many alternative origin stories. Worth hanging onto (possible sleepers or never to be remembered drek)?

baf1.jpg

baf2.jpg

I used to read those when I was a kid... much like most American Cartoons, they get renamed/rehashed for the UK market... after the the Toys arrived in the UK and TV Series aired over here the comics were bought out.. I had lost of fun reading these

The issues from the 1970’s and early 1980’s contain some outstanding stories. Charleys War by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhon was so far ahead of most stories being published at the time.

Earl.

I'll tell you what, though...the quality of the paper was so poor that I'd be amazed if there are any of these with vaguely-white pages. And we know how people around here feel about that! smile.gif

At one point I had a fair number of these, I think I only have one copy left *shrugs* And yes, Charley's War was really good. There was a TPB of that, which goes for good money when it shows up on ebay. There was also a strip called (hopefully) Johnny Red, about a Western pilot flying with the Soviets...I think...

A lot of the Action Force stories were drawn by a guy called Cooper, who was, if memory serves, pretty good. To answer Fandango's original question, I think that they -should- be in demand to GI Joe completists, and certainly supply is low. Supply in NM would be close to nil. The paper really was cheap and nasty smile.gif

Okay, not that anyone asked, but in case you care, he's my sole copy:

BAF.jpg

The Action Force section is the middle 16 pages. There are 2 6-page story parts, a pin-up page, a page plugging the toy range, and then 2 pages called "Allied Commanders" and "Allied Fighting Men". The comic encourages you to open up the staples and remove your precious Action Force comic! I think I'll do that right now!! Or not.

Four other stories: Johnny Red, The Nightmare, Charley's War (3 pages), and The Sarge (also 3 pages). Back cover is a pretty sweet Weetabix ad. Awesome. This comic will be 20 years old in August...and it looks so cheap! Printing has come a long way, apparently...

Thanks for the feedback gents, much obliged. Remember reading this terrific title as a lad; half tempted to dig out my copies and have a browse (i'll post a few covers if I do).