• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did Marvel really become Marvel?

11 posts in this topic

I am sure somebody can help me with this. I was pretty sure that the first book published by "Marvel Comics" was Amazing Adventures #3, in August 1961. But checking this a bit further, I realised that between August 1961 (Amazing Adventures #3) and March 1963 books had the MC box on the cover (which indeed was the initials of Marvel Comics), but the indicia publisher on the 1st page differed. I am pretty sure that the name Marvel Comics was not mentioned anywhere in the books during that period. For example, the indicia page of AF15 stated Atlas as the publisher. So, this got me wondering: was Marvel really known as Marvel until 1963?

9637.jpg

I recently watched an old interview of Stan Lee, where he explained that he chose to change the name of the company to Marvel Comics in the "early 60s" to better represent the new era of the company with the super heroes: FF, Hulk et al. And I guess that the MC box on the cover reflects that. But was the actual name "Marvel Comics" known back then and up to 1963, when this:

1d43514b01a405cb8b43b848dd59ec1c.jpg.e1cf79f2296dccd0b8930989e8465fe0.jpg

was replaced by the brand name under the character box?

16ce62fd6ec322687633ba3a97445b0b.jpg.f4dce49080ce866b8fdc32ece2b2372e.jpg

This is really my question I guess.

Like a lot of publishers, they published under a ton of publishing company names, I think which was all a way to get around taxes and stuff by having multiple companies. They used "marvel" as broad name for their comics for years on covers, switching on and off from Marvel, Timely, Atlas Like DC did in the early days with All-American. Remember too that they didn't only publish comics either for a long time, they published pulps and paperbacks, all kinds little joke books and stuff and had companies for all that stuff. Publishers especially in the 30s through mid 60s would do anything to get around taxes and paying fees and stuff and it all was a little shady, they all had tons of companies they shuffle stuff around with. I don't think they officially became Marvel as a company until like 1966 or something, just like DC wasnt officially DC comics until like 1977.

On 7/21/2018 at 2:20 PM, SECollector said:

I recently watched an old interview of Stan Lee, where he explained that he chose to change the name of the company to Marvel Comics in the "early 60s" to better represent the new era of the company with the super heroes: FF, Hulk et al. And I guess that the MC box on the cover reflects that. But was the actual name "Marvel Comics" known back then and up to 1963, when this:

1d43514b01a405cb8b43b848dd59ec1c.jpg.e1cf79f2296dccd0b8930989e8465fe0.jpg

was replaced by the brand name under the character box?

16ce62fd6ec322687633ba3a97445b0b.jpg.f4dce49080ce866b8fdc32ece2b2372e.jpg

This is really my question I guess.

I think the answer is kind of in 2 parts for you. Stan started that “mc” box in many books released starting in the month of April 1961. So you could say he was going in the direction of using the name Marvel comics by then. However up until the name was in the fans faces starting in February 1963 releases (I’m using actual release months here not cover dated months) with the official little box with the full name you posted many fans thought of the company as either Timely and/or Atlas. Here’s a couple of examples below with a letter from Stan to Jerry Bails just a few weeks after Fantastic Four #1’s release and a promo piece for Amazing Fantasy #15 and others that appeared in the Rocket Blast #8.

Notice things like the letter head of the day and the mention of both Timely and Atlas (but not Marvel) by fans.331C7408-C004-452E-BC92-C7BA9FFDA88D.png.8dc93808501dadaf1b95b601cac56e12.png

872E8C89-98F0-4A74-8A9E-FA349475739A.jpeg.2bfcad4f50e5bc263a2c3badf1374375.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

I think the answer is kind of in 2 parts for you. Stan started that “mc” box in many books released starting in the month of April 1961. So you could say he was going in the direction of using the name Marvel comics by then. However up until the name was in the fans faces starting in February 1963 releases (I’m using actual release months here not cover dated months) with the official little box with the full name you posted many fans thought of the company as either Timely and/or Atlas. Here’s a couple of examples below with a letter from Stan to Jerry Bails just a few weeks after Fantastic Four #1’s release and a promo piece for Amazing Fantasy #15 and others that appeared in the Rocket Blast #8.

Notice things like the letter head of the day and the mention of both Timely and Atlas (but not Marvel) by fans.

Very interesting documents, thanks.

9 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I think I read an interview with someone like Mort Meskin or Mart Nodell or George Tuska (a long timer like that) who said that pros called the company “Marvel” from the very start.

When some of them were still alive I remember too several who worked there during the 1950’s thought of  and called the company Timely and not really Atlas.

The name Marvel was tied to the company predating even their comics since Martin used it in his pulp line. So the use of the name Marvel lasted decades before Stan finally pulled the trigger with a name change.

The readers however only knew what they saw on the comic at the time so if it said Timely or Atlas or Marvel that’s what they thought it was.

That Atlas logo on the covers disappeared around July 1957 until the little mc showed up in 61’ then the full name in early 63’. The casual fan up to then only knew them as Atlas books if they’d been buying some of their titles for a few years when they had that printed on their covers and more in the know fans or collectors were aware of the Timely name. 

Once Stan went all in with the name as things started selling and expanding for them people forgot that anyone buying FF #1 off the newsstands viewed it as an Atlas or Timely comic even if Stan was thinking it was a Marvel book due to the tiny mc on covers. 

It was probably one of the slower more subtle name changes you could have done.