• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the deal with all the Mystery Tales at auction?

55 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

100% agree Jim! In fact I snagged the MT with the Matt Fox story in it as well as some post codes. The post code Atlas' have some great stories and artists with Wood and Crandell added in the mix of usual suspects! 

(never mind, I jumped the gun by not reading the rest of the topic....)

What issue is this?  I've been buying the pulps with his covers and have copies of all the chilling tales with his covers.  Love his stuff.

Edited by Frank Grow
jumped the gun

56 minutes ago, Frank Grow said:

(never mind, I jumped the gun by not reading the rest of the topic....)

What issue is this?  I've been buying the pulps with his covers and have copies of all the chilling tales with his covers.  Love his stuff.

Issue 22. It's a Precode book with a post code look. You can tell it's Fox's work on the cover too.  Not in hand yet but this is the pic from the site.

IMG_5645.JPG

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

But it wants to be free! :cry: :baiting:

Didn't say I wouldn't, I just don't have to now! What do you think of the cover? Not classic Fox subject matter but it's Fox pencils and inks according to the Atlas Tales site. 

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Didn't say I wouldn't, I just don't have to now! What do you think of the cover? Not classic Fox subject matter but it's Fox pencils and inks according to the Atlas Tales site. 

I like it,but likely wouldn't recognize,who am I kidding lol ,wouldn't if it wasn't pointed out.I can for sure see it in the face of the fellow on the right,and that car is creepy cool,just a little 'off'?

I love classic Atlas pointing finger covers!So,so many!Hahaha and looking again,there's the guy in a brimmed hat! Yes,I love it,great score!

@porcupine48 Not a traditional PCH cover by any means, more like a post code with the subject matter. A couple of things that attracted me was the insane perspective! I mean, how high are those buildings with the tiny ant sized people and cars down at the street level? You can definitely see Fox in the guy's faces. The colors are pretty neat and how can you not love that great big bloody MT title? Literally dripping off the page! :cloud9:

I had that issue and sold it.  The only thing "Matt Fox" about it is the cover, regardless of what any "authority" said.  Matt Fox's style was almost like a woodcut, and he always had illustration credit.  Here's a real Matt Fox Story from Adv into Weird Worlds 27; not difficult to see the difference in artwork.

IMG_20180727_0001.jpg

IMG_20180727_0002.jpg

42 minutes ago, fifties said:

I had that issue and sold it.  The only thing "Matt Fox" about it is the cover, regardless of what any "authority" said.  Matt Fox's style was almost like a woodcut, and he always had illustration credit.  Here's a real Matt Fox Story from Adv into Weird Worlds 27; not difficult to see the difference in artwork.

Actually I see Matt Fox all over that story (Tiny Coffin). Possibly not his pencils but the inking looks pure Fox to me. As I said earlier the trees and moon, also the hands and faces. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Actually I see Matt Fox all over that story (Tiny Coffin). Possibly not his pencils but the inking looks pure Fox to me. As I said earlier the trees and moon, also the hands and faces. (shrug)

Notice the difference in the people; Matt Fox's are straight, vs the depictions in the other story.  And as I had said, he always got illustration credit.  But, JMO.

11 hours ago, Jayman said:

I would agree. Perhaps only Fox inking, but it looks like his hand was involved to some degree. I always liked the "underground comix" look of Fox's work. R.Q. Sale as well. 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I picked this up back in CCs June auction. It's one of my favorite Everett post-code covers, and I'd been looking for a decent affordable midgrade. It's pretty common in VG and under, but due to the black cover, even technical 5.0s often don't have the eye-appeal I like. I don't normally chase high grade, but this one ended up going for what seemed a reasonable price, even with the market for MT dropping from it's absurd highs of a few years ago. I'll probably end up selling it, especially if I can find a nice raw, as I don't have any other slabbed Atlas keepers, but it's cool to own for now, even with the slightly distracting printing error (horizontal white line). My first White Mountain. 

mysttales043.thumb.jpg.88ece79896d1923403a25a0a5b394d11.jpg

This one's been on my want list for a while also. Another one that I cannot find in the grade I would like. Awesome! 

Everett had a great style in drawing some of his men on the brutish side .

Edited by Jayman