• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USA Captain America issue 12 worth grading?

16 posts in this topic

All I just got a box of Golden Age comics I am going through along with some other comics. This one I am hoping is atleast a good. But could someone tell me if they think it would be worth slabbing and grading? I can submit more pictures later. It has all pages. 

710CC467-FC17-4C96-BB14-B59FA8DBE3A9.jpeg

Hard to grade without closer pics and checking out the interior to make sure its complete, nothing is detached, etc.  Obviously low grade but still an early Captain America.  I'm sure you'll be getting generous people messaging you to take it off your hands for $30 since its in such poor shape.  lol

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

Can't really give it a grade but I would definitely slab it for the sake of preservation.

More pictures. Cover is still naturally attached. Obviously the spine is in rough shap but still holding front and back on

4F505A21-0764-43BA-98E6-0472FF6ACA09.jpeg

24 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the additional photos. That spine looks very fragile...the best I could see is a 1.5. Be very careful with this one...  

By being very careful do you mean because it is so fragile?  What would you do with this if it was you? Would you slab it? I can’t find any of this issue recently sold on EBAY. I see others but none of this one

18 minutes ago, DMBSG said:

By being very careful do you mean because it is so fragile?  What would you do with this if it was you? Would you slab it? I can’t find any of this issue recently sold on EBAY. I see others but none of this one

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The spine is my main concern. If you decide to slab it, make sure you put a note on the bag that the book is fragile. If it were me, I'd carefully read it and then sell it as is...

4 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

yes it is worth getting CGC graded,... hopefully it will not fall apart on the way to Sarasota though........

Would you also get it slabbed and any recommendations on packaging? :)

7 hours ago, DMBSG said:

Would you also get it slabbed and any recommendations on packaging? :)

I did a little research, and a coverless copy (no grade) recently sold for $380, so it is worth having it encapsulated. My concern here is the shipping and handling aspect of this venture. If I were tackling this project, first I'd make sure that I had a nice thick backing board which was big enough to support the entire comic with at least 1/4" extra on all 4 sides. Then I'd either use a proper size mylar sleeve (recommended) or a clean, sturdy poly bag, and carefully place the book and board inside the bag (if you can, slide the book in the bag with the board at the same time). Be very careful putting the book in the bag or taking the book out of the bag---this is where damage is likely to occur. Once the book is secured inside the bag, make sure everything is square and even on all sides, and don't forget to take pictures of the book before and after you put it in the bag. At this point, I usually put the securely bagged book inside another, slightly larger bag (such as a USPS mailing bag) and make sure that bag is snug around the first bag. Then I tape the second bag closed with standard tape (such as masking tape or scotch tape) so the interior bag can't shift or move during the shipping and handling process. Make sure you put a post it note on both bags that says "fragile---handle with care" or something to that effect. Next, I'd select at least 2 pieces of sturdy cardboard (the sturdier the better) which are at least 1/2" larger than the bagged book (err on the side of more, not less). Center the bagged book inside one of the pieces of cardboard and tape it directly to the cardboard with masking tape (I like to use masking tape because it's strong, but will come off more easily than sticky shipping tape). Make sure to tape all 4 sides of the bagged book to the cardboard piece. After that's done, center the second piece of cardboard to the first piece and then tape that on all 4 sides, effectively making a cardboard sandwich. I'd write "Fragile" on both pieces of cardboard, too. After you've accomplished this, get some bubble-wrap from your local Wal-Mart and wrap the heck out of the cardboard sandwich. Don't skimp. Make sure you wrap it so there's at least 2" inches of bubble wrap around the entire sandwich, taping it with either masking tape or shipping tape as you go. Once this is accomplished, carefully place the package in a box that will hold the entire package without any shifting taking place. If it moves around when you gently shake it, it's not snug enough. Make sure the box is sturdy, too---the thicker the cardboard, the better. I always check all the seams of the box and tape those very securely, too. Depending upon how you submit, don't forget to include the CGC invoice, and always keep a copy for yourself. Your mission is to make your package so secure that someone could drive a forktruck over it and it would still be OK. I hope this helps, and good luck!   :)

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I did a little research, and a coverless copy (no grade) recently sold for $380, so it is worth having it encapsulated. My concern here is the shipping and handling aspect of this venture. If I were tackling this project, first I'd make sure that I had a nice thick backing board which was big enough to support the entire comic with at least 1/4" extra on all 4 sides. Then I'd either use a proper size mylar sleeve (recommended) or a clean, sturdy poly bag, and carefully place the book and board inside the bag (if you can, slide the book in the bag with the board at the same time). Be very careful putting the book in the bag or taking the book out of the bag---this is where damage is likely to occur. Once the book is secured inside the bag, make sure everything is square and even on all sides, and don't forget to take pictures of the book before and after you put it in the bag. At this point, I usually put the securely bagged book inside another, slightly larger bag (such as a USPS mailing bag) and make sure that bag is snug around the first bag. Then I tape the second bag closed with standard tape (such as masking tape or scotch tape) so the interior bag can't shift or move during the shipping and handling process. Make sure you put a post it note on both bags that says "fragile---handle with care" or something to that effect. Next, I'd select at least 2 pieces of sturdy cardboard (the sturdier the better) which are at least 1/2" larger than the bagged book (err on the side of more, not less). Center the bagged book inside one of the pieces of cardboard and tape it directly to the cardboard with masking tape (I like to use masking tape because it's strong, but will come off more easily than sticky shipping tape). Make sure to tape all 4 sides of the bagged book to the cardboard piece. After that's done, center the second piece of cardboard to the first piece and then tape that on all 4 sides, effectively making a cardboard sandwich. I'd write "Fragile" on both pieces of cardboard, too. After you've accomplished this, get some bubble-wrap from your local Wal-Mart and wrap the heck out of the cardboard sandwich. Don't skimp. Make sure you wrap it so there's at least 2" inches of bubble wrap around the entire sandwich, taping it with either masking tape or shipping tape as you go. Once this is accomplished, carefully place the package in a box that will hold the entire package without any shifting taking place. If it moves around when you gently shake it, it's not snug enough. Make sure the box is sturdy, too---the thicker the cardboard, the better. I always check all the seams of the box and tape those very securely, too. Depending upon how you submit, don't forget to include the CGC invoice, and always keep a copy for yourself. Your mission is to make your package so secure that someone could drive a forktruck over it and it would still be OK. I hope this helps, and good luck!   :)

Thanks this helps a lot!!!