• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool comic shop in Paris - La Bande Des Cines

7 posts in this topic

83 rue Pajol

www.paris-bd.com

Was actually visiting a vintage movie poster place a couple of blocks away trying to complete my Carnival Of Souls foreign movie poster/lobby card collection (turns out it wasn't released in France) and was walking back to my hotel and stumbled upon this place, a cave really with tons and tons of vintage comics. Got talking to the guys there and if I understand correctly Marvel/DC characters first appeared in France in a monochrome digest called Strange. Marvel and Dc characters appeared together. The guys had tons of old Strange magazines, the earliest one (1965) was 180 Eruros. Eventually Stan Lee wrote a letter to the editors of Strange and the title was changed to Marvel and only included Marvel characters at that point. 

Found some weird old horror comics digest kinda stuff with booksellers on the Saine. I'm doing the translation to one I bought. Something about a crazy man who cuts the heads off women to take them to some kind of old dead vampire where he reattaches them to the bodies of different women who then have sex with the old dead vampires and the sexual contact transforms them to handsome young manly vampires. And this is 1965!

Dublin was a bust comic-wise. Dublin City comics had back issues... of drek. They had one issue of the first red suit Daredevil issue tacked to a wall. They said "no one gives a mess about Pence comics, they want American ones." They did have a vintage toy/action figure store a couple of blocks away. 

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

if I understand correctly Marvel/DC characters first appeared in France in a monochrome digest called Strange. Marvel and Dc characters appeared together.

I don't believe they did.

The first appearance of the Marvel characters was in Fantask from 1969 for 7 issues. It was then cancelled by the authorities due to content following a law from 1948(?) IIRC.

The publishers, undaunted, relaunched with Strange in 1970, right after the cancellation and Strange lasted from 1970 until 1998 with issue 335. The magazine changed ownership a few times and it's at the end of its run that it started veering away from Marvel comics and did publish DC material, but not at its creation. Indeed, there also was a Marvel mag, clearly heralding Stan Lee as the Marvel Universe creator but the mag only lasted 13 issues from 1970 to 1971 before falling to the censor. Don't ask me why Strange was left untouched.

Additional Marvel material was also published by the same company in other mags: Spidey, Nova, Mustang, Special Strange, Strange Special Origins and Titans.

Sounds like a shop with a very good selection.  Were you as impressed with their more locally-created French / Belgian bandes dessinées comics?

3 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I don't believe they did.

The first appearance of the Marvel characters was in Fantask from 1969 for 7 issues. It was then cancelled by the authorities due to content following a law from 1948(?) IIRC.

The publishers, undaunted, relaunched with Strange in 1970, right after the cancellation and Strange lasted from 1970 until 1998 with issue 335. The magazine changed ownership a few times and it's at the end of its run that it started veering away from Marvel comics and did publish DC material, but not at its creation. Indeed, there also was a Marvel mag, clearly heralding Stan Lee as the Marvel Universe creator but the mag only lasted 13 issues from 1970 to 1971 before falling to the censor. Don't ask me why Strange was left untouched.

Additional Marvel material was also published by the same company in other mags: Spidey, Nova, Mustang, Special Strange, Strange Special Origins and Titans.

Thanks for clearing that up. Language barrier was an issue. But the guys in the shop were some cool cats. 

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Sounds like a shop with a very good selection.  Were you as impressed with their more locally-created French / Belgian bandes dessinées comics?

I had limited time and didn’t see everything. You’d need months. 

I will say this. Paris is awsome for the graphic novel and printed word. Used bookstores everywhere.  I spent an entire day in one next to Burroughs Beat Hotel. 

Edited by NoMan

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, NoMan said:

...was walking back to my hotel and stumbled upon this place, a cave really...

Good grief....you weren't kidding.

83_Rue_Pajol-a.jpg

83_Rue_Pajol-b.jpg