• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderate Fading question

13 posts in this topic

how much does CGC take off for "Moderate Fading"?  Book is 9.2 range but cover is faded.  It is Hulk 181.  I assume that is was a display book for a while. Does CGC reduce grade by a full grade?  2 grades.....?  Just curious.

I once submitted a Hulk 102 for a friend that looked to be perfect. Came back a 9.0 . This was back in the day when you could call and talk to a grader. The grader said the book was a slam dunk 9.6 but had some slight color fade in the upper left corner. Note, the whole cover was not faded, just the corner. It sounds like you are implying the whole cover of your 181 is faded. If so, I suspect it will be hammered much more than a single grade tick. As the Lion stated, we need to see a picture, but just from your description, I could see it dropping to 7.0 range. Color fade is one of those irreversible flaws that no one likes. 

5 minutes ago, Coxstrong said:

hulk.jpg.47a7a671306c9ce4a146d1d1b9b93760.jpghulk.jpg.47a7a671306c9ce4a146d1d1b9b93760.jpg

It looks to be already in a slab, is this a grading quiz ? BTW, that spine has really been smooshed = I don't think a press and resub will help the situation.

I would send it in to CGC, in the slab, for an evaluation. They will only regrade if they see a possibility of upgrade. It all depends on where they currently stand on fading. I admit, 5.5 seems a little harsh. Good luck.

This is a great example why many boardies “buy the book” and not the grade.  From my experience, I have a bunch of CGC books that have moderate fading and it didn’t seem to  impact the grade too much but none of these were 9.0+ books.  

1 hour ago, Coxstrong said:

so are you guys saying that I should take the book (as is/ graded 5.5 in slab) to CGC and ask them to re evaluate?  Will they do that?  I know they are coming to a show this weekend in my area.

It's a service CGC does not advertise but they offer it. It's been years since I done it. I know it's been referenced somewhere here on the Boards by CGC personnel but I can't seem to find it. You submit it in the normal, appropriate tier for the book. If they accept it, you are charged the normal tier fee. However, if they do not accept it(not upgradeable) you are charged for one tier below the tier you submitted it in. I'm sure if you brought it onsite, they could assist you with this. I'll keep looking for that site. Anybody else remember how this works, do I have it right ???