• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Drew Struzan art drop

29 posts in this topic

300K for the "Hook" Movie poster. Poor nostalgia movie for me. I remember watching it on VHS a lot as a kid. The, "An American Tale" poster is another piece that would be a buy out of nostalgia for me. As others have mentioned they do seem to have an issue saying whether or not if these are all the published image. Not to mention that they don't seem to list a distinction between prelim drawings and the final image.

These pieces aren’t really new. The vast majority had been listed on his site for years at similar prices which had fluctuated over the years. 

The 140K Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine video game painting was listed on his site for 50K about 10 years ago and then at some point he jumped he price of it up to 80K. He also did the same with many of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones book covers which were almost all listed at 35K (Peril at Delphi I believe was 20K). Then at some point they went up to 65K and are now mostly back to 35K with this gallery. The movie poster prices were always pretty high 5 figures even for lesser movies and bigger movies that weren’t already owned by Lucas and Spielberg were listed at six figures, although some were cheaper before. Hook was definitely not 300K previously.

Edited by Mephisto

On 7/26/2018 at 10:48 AM, RabidFerret said:

While the prices are high, I’ll just chime in to say Drew’s art is even more breathtaking in person than any scan or print appears, and if you can afford it, it’s worth it.

Check out this detail:

69F9EE94-CA53-4CC5-B30A-6AF4FB3ED40E.thumb.jpeg.69ee4454e677cefd131dd342240ae1bd.jpeg

You can get seriously lost in his work in person:)

The book covers especially are almost bargains given the poster prices.

The only prices that truly surprised me were the Indy video games at $100+. That was impressive.

I loved this book cover but could never get past the fact that Drew had flipped a well known still of Harrison as Indy so that most noticeably his distinctive scar is running the opposite direction of how Harrison’s scar actually appears. Otherwise, it’s my favorite of the handful of book covers by Drew and features the classic scene of them digging at sun set.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, stinkininkin said:

The Escape from New York piece has Kurt Russell with a freakishly large head.  Once seen, it can't be unseen.

I would encourage anyone considering some of these to find out more about what they are buying first.    I have no issue with people asking lots of money but the descriptions should in my opinion be clear.    For example the one escape from New York “comp” that sold is dated 2003.    Now the movie came out twenty years before that so....

On 7/31/2018 at 8:09 PM, Mephisto said:

I loved this book cover but could never get past the fact that Drew had flipped a well known still of Harrison as Indy so that most noticeably his distinctive scar is running the opposite direction of how Harrison’s scar actually appears. Otherwise, it’s my favorite of the handful of book covers by Drew and features the classic scene of them digging at sun set.

Drew used photo reference for all of his work. I'm not sure there's an Indy or SW piece that wasn't based on a photo:) Interesting about the scar though...I hadn't noticed that before!!

On 7/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, Bronty said:

I would encourage anyone considering some of these to find out more about what they are buying first.    I have no issue with people asking lots of money but the descriptions should in my opinion be clear.    For example the one escape from New York “comp” that sold is dated 2003.    Now the movie came out twenty years before that so....

The descriptions could be clearer, but some of this is just terminology in a different industry. Read through Drew's website, books, or interviews and he uniformly calls them comprehensives. Does someone selling comic art need to explain to everyone what a panel page is?

In this case the Escape piece can be googled in 2 seconds to explain it was done for the box cover of the 2003 DVD release: http://www.drewstruzan.com/illustrated/portfolio/?fa=medium&gid=782&com&gallerystart=1&pagestart=1&type=com

That said, I agree more information in the listing would not hurt.

It's the usual "buyer beware". But like I said before, given the prices involved on most of these, you'd think they'd post a bit of their own due-dilligence and list some of what these things are used for. There's only 2 explanations for not intentionally doing it that I can think of. 1. Laziness. 2. Hoping some dope with big bucks comes along and thinks he's buying THE art for the original releases or whatever, and drops the dosh thinking he's the smartest guy in the room.

4 hours ago, RabidFerret said:

Drew used photo reference for all of his work. I'm not sure there's an Indy or SW piece that wasn't based on a photo:) Interesting about the scar though...I hadn't noticed that before!!

The descriptions could be clearer, but some of this is just terminology in a different industry. Read through Drew's website, books, or interviews and he uniformly calls them comprehensives. Does someone selling comic art need to explain to everyone what a panel page is?

In this case the Escape piece can be googled in 2 seconds to explain it was done for the box cover of the 2003 DVD release: http://www.drewstruzan.com/illustrated/portfolio/?fa=medium&gid=782&com&gallerystart=1&pagestart=1&type=com

That said, I agree more information in the listing would not hurt.

no one is asking for a description of what a comp is.

How about any description at all?   Some of these pieces have almost nothing said about them.

As for the Escape piece, that's all well and good IF you notice the date as I did.   And if you don't, and mistakenly think its vintage?

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

no one is asking for a description of what a comp is.

You put the word in quotes, which seemed to indicate you were unsure of the word's meaning or doubtful of it's authenticity.

How about any description at all?   Some of these pieces have almost nothing said about them.

Sure, of course a more detailed description would be nice. Agree 100% and I'd love to see one.

But isn't that the case for most dealer websites? Here's an $85k piece on Albert's site with the same amount of information and no description: http://www.albertmoy.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=15039&ArtistId=503

As for the Escape piece, that's all well and good IF you notice the date as I did.   And if you don't, and mistakenly think its vintage?

At what point is the responsibility on the buyer? Struzan didn't do a movie poster for Escape, so why the assumption it's vintage? If I see a Byrne Wolverine drawing I don't automatically assume it's from 1980, right?

6 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

It's the usual "buyer beware". But like I said before, given the prices involved on most of these, you'd think they'd post a bit of their own due-dilligence and list some of what these things are used for. There's only 2 explanations for not intentionally doing it that I can think of. 1. Laziness. 2. Hoping some dope with big bucks comes along and thinks he's buying THE art for the original releases or whatever, and drops the dosh thinking he's the smartest guy in the room.

I agree that the buyer should be doing their homework before buying expensive art, but there are plenty of other explanations beyond laziness and deceit. As mentioned above, many dealer websites do not list descriptions, so they could have simply looked at existing art websites and followed their example. There could also be limitations in how their database was designed. Maybe they didn't add a description field initially and the title field is capped at 100 characters?

My point with all of this being simply that there is no reason to suspect the worst of people. The Struzans took down most of their artwork years ago and it's never been listed through a gallery before. Enjoy the opportunity, limitations and all:)

Ehh, we can agree to see it different ways.   

I fully support everyone's right to sell as they see fit.   But, I also support the buyer's right to ask questions.    I don't have any questions when I look at the Byrne pages.   I do have questions when I look at pieces with dates that don't match up with the original project.   I do want to know dimensions on illustration work because they aren't standard (and vary a ton, and it doesn't show in a jpg).    etc.

Edited by Bronty