• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2018 Edition)

68 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

“If” Tec #27 wasn’t the top book at that point, my reasoning for why it is likely to be 10-20 years from now still stands.

Christopher Reeves  influence will probably run out with the generation that Wayne-Tec described but for now AC 1 is king and will be for decades IMO

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Christopher Reeves  influence will probably run out with the generation that Wayne-Tec described but for now AC 1 is king and will be for decades IMO

I think it comes down to what happens when collectors born between the 1930s-1970s age out of the hobby.

Those born when the first Christopher Reeve Superman film was relased turn 40 this December. I suspect there are more Action #1 owners older than 40 than there are Action #1 owners in their 20s and 30s. This will take some time, no reason to think it won’t.

But collectors born in the 1980s-present were exposed to a very different comic book world. Many from that generation don’t even like Superman. I don’t see any way that couldn’t have an impact and when the two books are already close as it is, change seems likely, albeit a little bit away.

20 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I think it comes down to what happens when collectors born between the 1930s-1970s age out of the hobby.

Those born when the first Christopher Reeve Superman film was relased turn 40 this December. I suspect there are more Action #1 owners older than 40 than there are Action #1 owners in their 20s and 30s. This will take some time, no reason to think it won’t.

But collectors born in the 1980s-present were exposed to a very different comic book world. Many from that generation don’t even like Superman. I don’t see any way that couldn’t have an impact and when the two books are already close as it is, change seems likely, albeit a little bit away.

I’m always torn by the debate of a Tec #27 ever beating Action #1 in pricing. I never owned an Action #1 but did Tec #27 simply because to me it’s a much cooler book to own. 

So part of me sees the logic that it could surpass the first Supes comic but then I think about how internationally famous Superman is and gawd that symbol and I think Batman has a tough hill to climb older fans or not. Superman really is a icon in and outside the hobby. 

So I’m going to stay neutral for now.

What’s more interesting to me today is the resurgence in Captain America and now Wonder Woman as 2 very old GA heroes are reclaiming new popularity internationally and in comic values. It’s starting to feel like the good times again circa 1940’s....

9 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I grew up in the 1980s and Superman did become cool again because of the John Byrne runs. It was a must read and got me into Superman. :preach:

Image result for john byrne man of steel

This era of Superman being cool lasted quite awhile probally ended with this

Image result for superman 75 newsstand

If we think about it story reading wise Superman from Byrne`s arrival to the death of Superman was the best quality of reading that Superman stories ever got.

So yeah you add that, plus the Lois and Clark and Smallville tv show fans out there and I say Superman has gained a lot of new audiences since the 1970s.

I myself have been torn between Batman and Superman over the years. For a while, I would say I was more of a Siegel and Shuster Superman fan than I was a Kane and Finger Batman fan. I'm almost 30 and consider myself to be the exception to the rule for my generation. I rooted for Superman in Dawn of Justice. My avatar on the boards has been Superman for a long time. If I'm not 50/50, I'm a 51/49. Amongst the majority of people in my generation, it's Batman and it's not even close.

Yes, Superman's global appeal and status as an icon for so long adds a lot of luster to Action Comics #1. I just have a tough time believing it will remain No. 1 when collectors who don't even like the character rule the market.

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

I’m always torn by the debate of a Tec #27 ever beating Action #1 in pricing. I never owned an Action #1 but did Tec #27 simply because to me it’s a much cooler book to own. 

So part of me sees the logic that it could surpass the first Supes comic but then I think about how internationally famous Superman is and gawd that symbol and I think Batman has a tough hill to climb older fans or not. Superman really is a icon in and outside the hobby. 

So I’m going to stay neutral for now.

What’s more interesting to me today is the resurgence in Captain America and now Wonder Woman as 2 very old GA heroes are reclaiming new popularity internationally and in comic values. It’s starting to feel like the good times again circa 1940’s....

Do you have any photos or scans of your Tec #27?

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Do you have any photos or scans of your Tec #27?

Nope. I closed down shop in 2002. I think I sold my Tec #27 off in around the mid to late 1990’s. I do know where it went and it’s off the “grid” now. Any other copies were earlier than that. It’s one book I really enjoyed but don’t feel the need to get back. I miss Marvel comics #1 much more.