• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2018 Edition)

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Generally speaking, those who spend thousands and thousands of dollars on books they haven’t even read via reprint still amazes me. It’s more common than you would think.

Let's face it...slabbing has reduced the comic book "hobby" to something akin to coin collecting - there's a front, a back and a perimeter...

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective comics #27

3. Marvel comics #1 (oct. date)

4. Superman #1

5. Marvel comics #1 (nov. date)

6. Batman #1

7. Captain America #1

8. Detective comics #31

9. Action comics #10

10.  Pep comics #22

11.  Whiz comics #2

12. Flash comics #1

13. All Star #8

14. All American #16

15.  Action comics #10

16. Detective comics #29

17. Suspense comics #3

18. Fantastic comics #3

19. More fun #52

20. Detective comics #33

21. Action comics #13

22. Archie comics #1

23. Detective comics #38

24. Sensation comics #1 

25. Action Comics #2

26. Detective comics #28

27. All Star comics #3

28. Wonder Woman #1

29. Captain America #3

30. Marvel Mystery #9

So that’s my quickly assembled list for anyone else to poo poo on. Still heavy on DC as it probably should be but with more Marvel and others added to the mix. 

:whatthe: Marvel Comics #1 differentiation!  :applause:

I can remember a time when Tough Kid Squad and Red Raven would be right up there but now neither seems to warrant a sniff.

14 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Let's face it...slabbing has reduced the comic book "hobby" to something akin to coin collecting - there's a front, a back and a perimeter...

Agreed, but it doesn’t have to be that way. I read many of the GA stories via reprint long before I owned the actual books themselves. Access to reading these stories is readily available, but some collectors still spend four/five/six figures on books before investing the minutes into reading the stories.

16 hours ago, N e r V said:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective comics #27

4. Superman #1

6. Batman #1

7. Captain America #1

8. Detective comics #31

9. Action comics #10

10.  Pep comics #22

11.  Whiz comics #2

12. Flash comics #1

13. All Star #8

14. All American #16

15.  Action comics #10

16. Detective comics #29

17. Suspense comics #3

18. Fantastic comics #3

19. More fun #52

20. Detective comics #33

21. Action comics #13

22. Archie comics #1

23. Detective comics #38

24. Sensation comics #1 

25. Action Comics #2

26. Detective comics #28

27. All Star comics #3

28. Wonder Woman #1

29. Captain America #3

30. Marvel Mystery #9

So that’s my quickly assembled list for anyone else to poo poo on. Still heavy on DC as it probably should be but with more Marvel and others added to the mix. 

Nothing to knock here. I think it’s a very well thought out list. The idea of ranking OCT and NOV copies of Marvel #1 in different spots is very interesting to me.

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective comics #27

4. Superman #1

6. Batman #1

7. Captain America #1

8. Detective comics #31

9. Action comics #10

10.  Pep comics #22

11.  Whiz comics #2

12. Flash comics #1

13. All Star #8

14. All American #16

15.  Action comics #10

16. Detective comics #29

17. Suspense comics #3

18. Fantastic comics #3

19. More fun #52

20. Detective comics #33

21. Action comics #13

22. Archie comics #1

23. Detective comics #38

24. Sensation comics #1 

25. Action Comics #2

26. Detective comics #28

27. All Star comics #3

28. Wonder Woman #1

29. Captain America #3

30. Marvel Mystery #9

I like this list a lot. I’d move Cap 1 to #5 and then move everything else down accordingly. 

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Agreed, but it doesn’t have to be that way. I read many of the GA stories via reprint long before I owned the actual books themselves. Access to reading these stories is readily available, but some collectors still spend four/five/six figures on books before investing the minutes into reading the stories.

Most of these types of individuals have no interest in the comics per se.  This is an investment commodity to them - much like a stock/bond etc only more colourful.  These are the types of people that drive up prices for the true collector.  :censored:

19 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I like this list a lot. I’d move Cap 1 to #5 and then move everything else down accordingly. 

Some of these books are going to move forward and some are going to drop because of that. I see Captain America and the Wonder Woman books on a march forward. Also some of these books are in equal or higher demand than others but are rarely offered for sale vs others. That’s the reason for splitting Marvel comics #1 in two. I don’t wish to resume the 1st print, 2nd print or single print run argument  but I do believe that when October dates show up they get more attention than November copies. Enough to alter their standings on a list. I don’t see that kind of preference in Batman #1 but there are other variants in the hobby that probably should see a separate listing if you post them on a list. Pep #22 and Archie #1 are just a few on the list that don’t show up often at auctions vs others. I also know some people here don’t care for Suspense #3 and Fantastic #3 but they are clearly books on the move as big keys in the hobby and are not really that common when compared to others. They also now enjoy a history with demand since I’ve been aware of both books myself since the 1980’s. 

In response to your comment though I actually thought twice about putting Cap over Batman at #6 and probably have no problem doing that now but I think Marvel #1 with the October date still beats a Cap #1. 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:58 PM, Wayne-Tec said:

For a number of years now, I have started a Golden Age "hierarchy" thread to discuss where things stand after another year has passed. If you'd like to see my 2017 edition, you can find it HERE. I preface these posts by stating the obvious: there are no right or wrong answers. My list takes into account historical significance, nostalgia, desirability, how books were viewed in our hobby during different periods of time, current FMV, connections to both the past and present, interior content and exterior display (covers). You could create your list based on any criteria you'd like. I encourage discussion and for different collectors to share different points of view. I do not collect Archie comic books, my focus has always been superheroes, so I've kept my list DC, Timely and Fawcett exclusive. Slam Bradley is not a superhero but Batman might not be either and I couldn't leave Detective Comics #1 off of my list. Last year I ranked books by tier. This year, I'm going to be more specific. 

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Batman #1

5. Marvel Comics #1

6. Captain America Comics #1

7. Action Comics #7

8. Detective Comics #31

9. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

10. All-American Comics #16

11. Action Comics #10

12. Detective Comics #29

13. All-Star Comics #8

14. Flash Comics #1

15. Detective Comics #33

16. Action Comics #13

17. More Fun Comics #52

18. Detective Comics #38

19. Sensation Comics #1

20. Action Comics #2

21. Detective Comics #28

22. Detective Comics #1

23. More Fun Comics #73

24. Detective Comics #35

25. All-Star Comics #3

26. Wonder Woman #1

27. Captain America Comics #3

28. Adventure Comics #40

29. Action Comics #23

30. Detective Comics #36

Due to trying to incorporate the numerous criteria posted above, the end result left me with mixed feelings. Obviously, Action Comics #7 is far less historically significant than Whiz Comics #2 (#1). It's not even close. But I placed weight, a lot of it, on the desirability of Superman's 2nd cover appearance. I used to be far more harsh on books with "classic covers" and forgettable interior content. But as the years have passed, I've warmed up to understanding the desirability of cover art. There is significance there, to being the 2nd time Superman was ever seen on display at the newsstand.

Some more thoughts:

*Marvel Comics #1 over Captain America Comics #1? Yeah, not so crazy. I've placed weight on Marvel Comics #1 once being the No. 1 book in our hobby. As much as I've enjoyed the Captain America movies, they are not masterpieces. Rarity is a big factor in my ranking A over B here.

*Detective Comics #31 is far more than just a classic cover (1st app. of the Baterang, 1st app. of Batman's first "super" villain: The Monk, 1st Bat-Plane, Bruce Wayne's 1st love interest: Julie Madison).

*1st appearances of next-tier superheroes like Green Lantern and The Flash are on the rise IMO. Wonder Woman is much more historically significant, but she's not on the cover of All-Star Comics #8 and there are more copies of All-Star Comics #8 than there are of All-American Comics #16 and Flash Comics #1, which also came earlier in DC's history. I can absolutely understand ranking All-Star Comics #8 higher.

*Robin is far more historically significant than The Spectre but there are far more copies of Detective Comics #38 than there are of More Fun Comics #52. Like the aforementioned example, I can absolutely understand ranking Detective Comics #38 higher.

That's my list, subject to change and open for discussion. What does yours look like?

I see you've ruled out Archie, which is why Pep 22 isn't on the list.  But I think that it should be on there because it checks most of the boxes you list:  "historical significance, nostalgia, desirability, how books were viewed in our hobby during different periods of time, current FMV, connections to both the past and present, interior content and exterior display (covers)."  I guess it's kind of in no man's land in that it's got a cool super hero cover, although, of course, it's notoriety comes from being the first appearance of a non-super hero. 

On 7/27/2018 at 3:00 AM, N e r V said:

No longer alive today but I did have family buying comics around the mid to early 1940’s. My grandmother bought Sensation Comics #1 off the newsstand which has always been a shared nostalgia for me with that book. I think you’re right in that buying a comic at the time off the newsstands is one form of nostalgia but I also have another type of nostalgia in that when I first saw and obtained certain back issues published before my buying years. 

Agreed.  I have a few books that my Dad bought off a newstand.  Mid 50's Action and Superman.  They are beat to death, but I would rather have them than better copies and that is just the pure nostalgia factor for those specific books rather than title or character.

23 hours ago, N e r V said:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective comics #27

4. Superman #1

6. Batman #1

7. Captain America #1

8. Detective comics #31

9. Action comics #10

10.  Pep comics #22

11.  Whiz comics #2

12. Flash comics #1

13. All Star #8

14. All American #16

15.  Action comics #10

16. Detective comics #29

17. Suspense comics #3

18. Fantastic comics #3

19. More fun #52

20. Detective comics #33

21. Action comics #13

22. Archie comics #1

23. Detective comics #38

24. Sensation comics #1 

25. Action Comics #2

26. Detective comics #28

27. All Star comics #3

28. Wonder Woman #1

29. Captain America #3

30. Marvel Mystery #9

#9 reminds me of #15

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

One can conclude from this thread that the old discussion of Tec 27 taking the front seat is stone dead.

Personally, I never could understand why this old discussion came up in the first place as I always thought that Action 1 would be the no-brainer top book in terms of the comic book world.  (thumbsu

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Personally, I never could understand why this old discussion came up in the first place as I always thought that Action 1 would be the no-brainer top book in terms of the comic book world.  (thumbsu

Action 1 is still king and has continued to solidify its position over past couple years imo 

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

One can conclude from this thread that the old discussion of Tec 27 taking the front seat is stone dead.

I’ve gone back and forth on this a lot over the years, but if you asked me today, I’d say that I expect Tec #27 to reclaim the top spot, eventually.

For so long as collectors born between the 1930s-1970s are active, big-time players in the market, Action #1 will remain the top book in the hobby. And why wouldn’t it? This is a nostalgic hobby and Superman was top-dog for a very long time. Collectors pay top dollar for the characters they love the most.

Collectors born during the 1980s-present, on average (no absolutes), had a very different experience, with Batman not only being the top dog, but claiming that spot during a time when these characters reached box office and merchandising heights never seen before. We could argue Spider-Man and Wolverine being more popular than Batman at times, but you get where I’m coming from.

Action #1 and Tec #27 are already close and that’s with the previous generation dominating the high end GA market. IMO, it’s only logical to assume that once those collectors age out of the marketplace, and the younger Batman-centric generation, many of whom are disinterested in Superman all together take over, Tec #27 will move past Action #1, by at least a slim margin.

23 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:
3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

I’ve gone back and forth on this a lot over the years, but if you asked me today, I’d say that I expect Tec #27 to reclaim the top spot, eventually.

But was 'Tec 27 really truly ever in top spot over Action #1?  hm

Well okay, Overstreet may have had him in top spot there for a few years back in the early 90's after the first Batman movie came out, but then what does old Bob know about the real marketplace anyways.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well okay, Overstreet may have had him in top spot there for a few years back in the early 90's after the first Batman movie came out, but then what does old Bob know about the real marketplace anyways.  lol

“If” Tec #27 wasn’t the top book at that point, my reasoning for why it is likely to be 10-20 years from now still stands.

21 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:
28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

“If” Tec #27 wasn’t the top book at that point, my reasoning for why it is likely to be 10-20 years from now still stands.

Well, 20 years is a long time and people's taste and thinking could change over an extended period of time. hm

You never know, it could be the Big Red Cheese himself reclaiming top spot after all of these lost decades.  After all, didn't he have the biggest selling comic book back in the 50's until the envious DC filed their lawsuit to shut him down out of sheer jealousy at losing the top spot.  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine